Is anyone alse using a Dell XPS 15 9570 4K laptop, I'd like some information on optimising Lightroom and Photoshop

D

Deleted member 91540

Hello, so I bought a Dell XPS 9570 laptop under the impression that it was extremely powerful for image editing tasks. I bought the 16GB RAM and 512GB SDD version, I later upgraded this to 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD, Samsung Evo 970 to be precise. Anyway, I find that lightroom and Photoshop still stutter at times and I'm far from peeking in my RAM and CPU, so I know it must be a problem within Lightroom and Photoshop. I am going to attach screenshots of my settings in Lightroom and in Photoshop and would like to see what other settings people use with the same device, Dell XPS 9570.

I have also tried and tested a few things so I'm a little knowledgable on the task but still have a problem.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-03-02 202627.jpg
    Annotation 2020-03-02 202627.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Annotation 2020-03-02 202712.jpg
    Annotation 2020-03-02 202712.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Annotation 2020-03-02 202825.jpg
    Annotation 2020-03-02 202825.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Annotation 2020-03-02 202853.jpg
    Annotation 2020-03-02 202853.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 16
Untick 'Use OpenCL' and see if that helps ... I had issues with my Dell XPS (earlier model) and that seemed to resolve it.

Untick 'Use OpenCL' and see if that helps ... I had issues with my Dell XPS (earlier model) and that seemed to resolve it.
Yeah I actually seen things about that, it's why I screenshotted that part. Thank you

I think the main thing is to not expect miracles. There really is no such thing as an extremely powerful laptop for image editing. All laptops use lower speed, lower power cpu/gpu chips due to the very poor nature of cooling in laptops.

Have you seen the size of air coolers that are used in proper powerful desktop pc’s? Put both your fists together and you’ll get an idea. Now try to squeeze both your fists inside your laptop!

Laptops suffer from thermal throttling of the cpu too when they get too warm.

Now all that said the low powered cpu in your laptop is actually a very good one as far as laptops go but it’s weak compared to a properly cooled, overclocked desktop counterpart.

Last edited:
I think the main thing is to not expect miracles. There really is no such thing as an extremely powerful laptop for image editing. All laptops use lower speed, lower power cpu/gpu chips due to the very poor nature of cooling in laptops.

Have you seen the size of air coolers that are used in proper powerful desktop pc’s? Put both your fists together and you’ll get an idea. Now try to squeeze both your fists inside your laptop!

Laptops suffer from thermal throttling of the cpu too when they get too warm.

Now all that said the low powered cpu in your laptop is actually a very good one as far as laptops go but it’s weak compared to a properly cooled, overclocked desktop counterpart.
I have a desktop too but the laptop is so much more powerful than it, so maybe I will upgrade that next and get a good calibrated monitor

Hello, so I bought a Dell XPS 9570 laptop under the impression that it was extremely powerful for image editing tasks. I bought the 16GB RAM and 512GB SDD version, I later upgraded this to 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD, Samsung Evo 970 to be precise. Anyway, I find that lightroom and Photoshop still stutter at times and I'm far from peeking in my RAM and CPU, so I know it must be a problem within Lightroom and Photoshop. I am going to attach screenshots of my settings in Lightroom and in Photoshop and would like to see what other settings people use with the same device, Dell XPS 9570.

I have also tried and tested a few things so I'm a little knowledgable on the task but still have a problem.

Turn off use of GPU and try again. Lightroom is notoriously crap at using graphics acceleration, and usually runs better without it.

Back