Is DSLR about to die off?

Totally agree with you. I owned a D500 before moving to the 'Dark Side' with the Sony A9 (and a7r3 and an A6500 for street), it's an amazing camera (D500), however, for me at the moment the A9 is better. The reasons why don't matter, for me it's just better. The best camera is the one that works for you, new or old, who cares, if you like it and it does what you want, no other will beat it.
You would hope that a camera costing 2+x the cost, aimed at a similar sector of the market would be better. ;) Happy that you are happy with the a9. :)

:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:​

In reply to you keeping on muttering about YouTube, that was one of the other options I gave but you seem to have been hung up on that, clearly shows that you don't have much to say considering the fact you're just repeating yourself in every post. You've also said in previous posts you've seen loads of videos so maybe you watch YouTube more than I - or did I mean 'Everyone'?.

Also I don't know everyone in the world especially those who use Sony so if you weren't so mindlessly narrow minded and naive you'd not get so hung up on the word "everyone" and actually use some common sense to realise that maybe from my perspective in all information (yes YouTube, magazines too and many other places oooooooo) that I've seen it's where people have for the majority used Canon glass on a Sony body which you basically agreed upon earlier on when you said something along the lines "maybe everyone did in the beginning but not so much now". Try thinking about this, maybe I don't follow Sony's every move because I'm not a fanboy like you and only looked into it back in the beginning when I moved to the system and when Sony first actually started gaining some ground in the market.

In a hope that you might now see some sense from this don't reply to me again because you're getting this thread off-track and we all know what you'll say 'everyone uses Canon glass', 'YouTube', 'Nonsense'.

P.S. You said this: You don't half talk some complete and utter nonsense. :ROFLMAO: You said "everyone is using Canon glass" they don't, I don't.

How do you know 'they' don't? Do you know the millions of Sony users worldwide? Sweeping statement hypocrite maybe? Enjoy your evening.

You are a very strange and odd little man. I never mentioned watching YouTube videos that was you. I won’t be replying to any more of your idiotic posts. Keep on spouting your nonsense I have blocked you now so won’t have to see any more of it.

Last edited:
You are a very strange and odd little man. I never mentioned watching YouTube videos that was you. I won’t be replying to any more of your idiotic posts. Keep on spouting your nonsense I have blocked you now so won’t have to see any more of it.

YAAAAASSSSSSSSS. Never heard anything sweeter than this. And if you ever do see this try looking up your old posts ;) which btw are full of nonsense comments and sweeping generalisations just like your first post in this thread where megapixels aren't important :LOL:

But only in a limited way. You have to use aperture priority and manual focus. Lenses with out these options are a no no.
Probably the most suitable and easily used are old macro lenses.
certainly not enough to kill anything.
I could use any of my old OM or pentax lenses, but the only one that I actually use is the 50mm F4 Macro.

Are you sure about that? Manual lenses can be used with any priority and fully manual as manual focus and you get focus aids like peaking /zebras / magnified focus. AF adapters like the MC11 and Metabones offer pretty much all the native AF (incl eye AF) and MF options available for Canon EF, Sony also has A mount adapters and the performance is very good with all 3 types.

Last edited:
You are all mad!

Everybody knows the best camera ever produced had a mirror and nothing will come close - the Rolleiflex 3.5f

;)

Still going strong at a young 55yrs old (y) /
Bah! A mere youngster in comparison to the 1924 Kodak Brownie box camera I took this with, and it's got TWO mirrors, so it must be twice as betterer than yours... or twice as badder according to some of the mirrorless fans on here! ;) And if their latest 2019 mirrorless digital camera is still fully functioning on a still commercially available photographic medium in 95 years time I'll eat my bloody hat! :whistle:

Last edited:
Bah! A mere youngster in comparison to the 1924 Kodak Brownie box camera I took this with, and it's got TWO mirrors, so it must be twice as betterer than yours... or twice as badder according to some of the mirrorless fans on here! ;) And if their latest 2019 mirrorless digital camera is still fully functioning on a still commercially available photographic medium in 95 years time I'll eat my bloody hat! :whistle:

Aye............call themselves photographers........pah! All they are is a 'button pusher' - point there box of electronics at summat then press the button, bloody focuses, exposes right and can even show you what the pic will look like before it's taken on a wee miny TV thing! Plug the box in and there is the photo made up of 1's & 0's- can't be much fun in that!
:p

Last edited:
The smartphone camera of the day :) Designed for non photographers who could only press a button - just like modern cameras! :p:D:D

This is the way it Should be..
However modern digital cameras can be the most confusing ever.
When I get a new one I spend several hours setting it up and consulting the handbook, to find out what, where, and how.
And I know what I want to achieve. God help those that do not.

You did not need a handbook to use a Rolleiflex, Which was just about the pinnacle for Professionals in its day.

One of the beauties of (D)SLR is the ability to keep and use lenses and decades old, even if just in manual mode if the camera doesn't support AF on some of the old ones (plus still able to use some old manual focus lenses), particularly with Nikon F mount.

Mirrorless Z series Nikon is forcing a rebuy of lenses. Okay there is an adapter but it's a bulky beast and as I understand it you're losing the wider mount (more light?) and slim body advantages of the Z. To make the most of it, you need new lenses. I'm not ready to rebuy lenses for mirrorless and I don't see much advantage in mirrorless unless I do.

I'm still hoping we'll see a 1dx mk3 2019/2020.
That said, I'm not sure it's a camera that can be greatly improved upon.

This is the way it Should be..
However modern digital cameras can be the most confusing ever.
When I get a new one I spend several hours setting it up and consulting the handbook, to find out what, where, and how.
And I know what I want to achieve. God help those that do not.

You did not need a handbook to use a Rolleiflex, Which was just about the pinnacle for Professionals in its day.

Is it a good or bad thing that modern cameras need so much 'setting up'. Personally I feel lots of features get added just to sell the camera and make the tech heads upgrade to the latest and greatest.
No doubt some of the major features are good but still detract from the fun of photography for me. I like simple beautiful cameras where the person behind the camera has to 'craft' the image - not some silicone chip deciding based on the program written by a developer.

I switched from a full frame canon to the Fuji xt1 a couple of years ago and I didn't get on with it. But I'm willing to give mirrorless another go now

No matter the camera I own I do an initial set up that takes all of 10 minutes, and I'm good from there on. I don't faff about with half of the options on them, I don't shoot video - if and when I ever decide to then I just look up a quick guide, another 5 minutes blown! You can set these modern camera to pretty much point-and-shoot if you want to. I do agree they try to cram too much in to please everyone - now that 'vloggers' are a big thing, they have to include them which just adds more bells ... but we can ignore these features as stills only photographers. You have to learn to ignore a lot of the 'reviews' on top, as many of them spend most of these reviews talking video, this has to be factored in.

I switched from a full frame canon to the Fuji xt1 a couple of years ago and I didn't get on with it. But I'm willing to give mirrorless another go now

I made the same move pretty much about 3 years ago, I found the change refreshing and now I'd find it hard to go back to dslr, though that is what I used for over a decade. You have to ask yourself, what did you not like about the Fuji? and what will change this time out if try again?

About to die off. The Canon 90d and 7d mk 3 are still in the works as are many others from the big two.

Yes they will be replaced in the future as will electric cars.

But im hanging on to my petrol car and dslr for as long as I can.

I had a few mirrorless and like them but I just prefer dslr for now.

About to die off. The Canon 90d and 7d mk 3 are still in the works as are many others from the big two.

From what I gather it'll be a hybrid of both, it will neither be a 90D nor a 7DIII but a completely new APSC Dslr combining the strengths of both. This would be interesting, as Canon normally love to put out 5 variations of the same thing

From what I gather it'll be a hybrid of both, it will neither be a 90D nor a 7DIII but a completely new APSC Dslr combining the strengths of both. This would be interesting, as Canon normally love to put out 5 variations of the same thing
That's because there m series ain't that brilliant.. Or maybe the 90d will use the m mount..?

That's because there m series ain't that brilliant.. Or maybe the 90d will use the m mount..?

I mean they are apparently planning a hybrid cross between the 80D and 7D mkII - A sturdier 7D type body with the AF and higher fps features combined with all the video features, wi-fi and articulating touch screen of the 80D. The M line would still be separate.

Last edited:
I'm still hoping for a 5Dv with eye-controlled focus; that would put the cat amongst the pigeons in the tech competition with mirrorless! :D

Is it a good or bad thing that modern cameras need so much 'setting up'. Personally I feel lots of features get added just to sell the camera and make the tech heads upgrade to the latest and greatest.

I'm pretty sure that most modern cameras have a Professional mode* marked P on the control dial that make the camera as simple to use as the box brownie or a P&S, with much better results. That's how my wife uses her Oly E-M10. The setting up required is because we want specific and intentional fine control of features that would otherwise appear to be magic and witchcraft to the guys who only ever knew plate cameras. It also doesn't happen that menus can sometimes be in Japlish.

*Credit to PhilV, who was the first person I saw use this.

How could it, the M mount lenses couldnt focus at that depth. But you surely knew that.

But what do I know, I own an M5 and apparently it ‘ain’t that brilliant’, even though it produces better images than any other APSC Canon I’ve owned.

How could it, the M mount lenses couldnt focus at that depth. But you surely knew that.

But what do I know, I own an M5 and apparently it ‘ain’t that brilliant’, even though it produces better images than any other APSC Canon I’ve owned.
What depth? I end of the day the 90d could just be a m mount camera.

I mean they are apparently planning a hybrid cross between the 80D and 7D mkII - A sturdier 7D type body with the AF and higher fps features combined with all the video features, wi-fi and articulating touch screen of the 80D. The M line would still be separate.
It’s interesting because there’s distinct ‘features’ in the different Canon ranges.
The 7dII is considered a pro body, so 2 card slots, the downside is no WiFi (because of the metal top plate) and no articulating screen.
The 80d is barely ‘behind’ the 7dII in any features (except card slots). As it’s a better sensor and has lots of features missing from the 7

It’s interesting because there’s distinct ‘features’ in the different Canon ranges.
The 7dII is considered a pro body, so 2 card slots, the downside is no WiFi (because of the metal top plate) and no articulating screen.
The 80d is barely ‘behind’ the 7dII in any features (except card slots). As it’s a better sensor and has lots of features missing from the 7

A more rugged, faster shooting 2 card slot 80D sounds great, only thing between it and mirrorless would be the ovf. It would sell like hot cakes imo, well price depending

A few years ago I wanted to slim down my camera kit and looked at mirrorless, but decided that I "needed" to have an optical viewfinder and full frame. So stuck with my 5D.

Last year I realised that my 5D was too big/heavy and that I wasn't using it, so had another look at mirrorless. I didn't really like how a lot of the full frame mirrorless set ups had small bodies, but huge lenses. Although I did appreciate the physics of why they were that big. I ended up switching to Fuji, going for an X-T2, as the APS-C sensor meant smaller body and lenses. I find that the ergonomics are no worse than my 5D - I rarely have to go into menus to change anything, and if I do I can add it to a quick menu. The thing that surprised me the most though is how good the EVF is.

A few years ago I wanted to slim down my camera kit and looked at mirrorless, but decided that I "needed" to have an optical viewfinder and full frame. So stuck with my 5D.

Last year I realised that my 5D was too big/heavy and that I wasn't using it, so had another look at mirrorless. I didn't really like how a lot of the full frame mirrorless set ups had small bodies, but huge lenses. Although I did appreciate the physics of why they were that big. I ended up switching to Fuji, going for an X-T2, as the APS-C sensor meant smaller body and lenses. I find that the ergonomics are no worse than my 5D - I rarely have to go into menus to change anything, and if I do I can add it to a quick menu. The thing that surprised me the most though is how good the EVF is.

EVF have gotten so much better over the years, some of them could pass easily for an OVF. I had the XT1, and the evf was pretty good, I moved to M43 and my first dabble was with the old em5 - the evf was very poor on that and almost changed my mind [still owned the XT1 at the time and was pondering the XT2] - but after trying out the Panasonic G80 in the camera shop I was more convinced to give it a shot. The evf is crystal - I know there's better [ it's big bro the G9 reportedly has possibly the best out there across the board] but I find this one great - constant preview in low light is so helpful, especially when using flash in really dark circumstances. It's a bit like having an always on modelling light in those situations.

On the other hand, main LCDs have also gotten a lot better, and many can do same as a good evf, you're just composing a little differently. So I don't think the evf/ovf side of it should matter when deciding on cameras from the past few years onward.

A more rugged, faster shooting 2 card slot 80D sounds great, only thing between it and mirrorless would be the ovf. It would sell like hot cakes imo, well price depending
For Canon though...
‘More rugged’ means a metal top plate so no wifi, and no articulating screen.
2 cards - well it’s Canon
Technically a faster more rugged 80d is what the 7dIII would be (unless they come out with a better sensor) and of course no WiFi and probably no articulating screen

Last edited:
Sony the new Market leader?

I have always said DSLR's will eventually die, I think they have a good 2 - 3 years of life left in them.
The numbers above show it’ll take another 2-3 years before mirrorless sales outstrip dslr.
At that point DSLR sales will be roughly what mirrorless sales are now. Would you describe that as ‘dead’.
I’m not suggesting DSLRs will carry on forever, but they’re still outselling mirrorless 1.5:1 and some people are ‘dancing on their graves’.
Get a grip, these things take time.

Last edited:
+
The numbers above show it’ll take another 2-3 years before mirrorless sales outstrip dslr.
At that point DSLR sales will be roughly what mirrorless sales are now. Would you describe that as ‘dead’.
I’m not suggesting DSLRs will carry on forever, but they’re still outselling mirrorless 1.5:1 and some people are ‘dancing on their graves’.
Get a grip, these things take time.

It is "Trends" that users and manufacturers see, when they are planning for the future.
You don't make many plans for a falling product market.
What you plan for is how to get out of it.
The Cycle of development plans for Dslr's was probably pencilled in for the next ten years. The relative success of the mirrorless has almost certainly cut those, to cover only those products that were already in and advanced stage of development, or those that could be adjusted to a much shorter time scale, and at the same time still be profitable in the much shortened production life, and for which a ready market and profitable sales could still be forecast.

Electric cars are not yet a viable mass market product, but Honda has already made a production plan, that entails the closing of conventional car factories.
They have done it at "this time" partly because Brexit has forced a slightly premature decision on to them. But it is mainly a decision based on pollution legislation and the inevitable trend for clean energy. And also with their own upcoming zero duty trade agreement with the EU in mind.

Last edited:
Back