is everyone using rex/shutterstock?

That is transfare from camera to laptop not direct to agency also I fail to see how transfare from camera is effective as it is far too slow.1 pic ever 3 to 5 seconds at best?

I have only ever seen one person try to use a transmitter on a camera at football and it was far too slow. Unless there is some sort of new way of transmitting photos from camera I cannot see how it would be viable at all. As I say what I have seen is 3 seconds per pic at best at 12 fps forget that!

They do it at the Olympics, someone on here did a demo. All the togs are behind the advertising boards sitting on seats and under the seat is a power socket and a ethernet socket, cable from the socket to the RJ45 in the camera. They were transferring the images from pitch side/boxing/athletics to London press room and then onto social media in less than 3mins.

They do it at the Olympics, someone on here did a demo. All the togs are behind the advertising boards sitting on seats and under the seat is a power socket and a ethernet socket, cable from the socket to the RJ45 in the camera. They were transferring the images from pitch side/boxing/athletics to London press room and then onto social media in less than 3mins.
Where is that information from? Also if correct that is a cable from the camera and it is not that fast anyway how many photos in 3 mins maybe maybe 20. That's a life time at a football match.

It appears to me that the only way to send photos off quickly is the standard method of card out into laptop and send from laptop. These transmitters from the camera and cables are far too slow.

So you're telling me that a wireless laptop is quicker than gigabit ethernet?

Where is that information from? Also if correct that is a cable from the camera and it is not that fast anyway how many photos in 3 mins maybe maybe 20. That's a life time at a football match.

It appears to me that the only way to send photos off quickly is the standard method of card out into laptop and send from laptop. These transmitters from the camera and cables are far too slow.

At football guys I know who send direct from camera use this set up - wifi transmitter on camera connected to a wifi dongle - ftp to a server at the picture desk - select the pic you want to send, add a voice note for the caption - hit button on back of camera and it's there in seconds - far quicker than taking card out of camera, selecting pic and sending

So you're telling me that a wireless laptop is quicker than gigabit ethernet?
I have said no such thing you should read the post properly. I am saying enthernet from camera. Read the posts properly right from the start.

The point is transmisson from camera is slow however done. That's why no one does it at football it's too slow. Not laptops to agency or anything like that.

Let's see some proof of transmission of photos from camera not being slow. One just needs to go on youtube to see how slow the transmission is from camera either by wifi or enthernet. That's why it's not used where speed is a requirement.

I have said no such thing you should read the post properly. I am saying enthernet from camera. Read the posts properly right from the start.

The point is transmisson from camera is slow however done. That's why no one does it at football it's too slow. Not laptops to agency or anything like that.

Let's see some proof of transmission of photos from camera not being slow. One just needs to go on youtube to see how slow the transmission is from camera either by wifi or enthernet. That's why it's not used where speed is a requirement.
Sorry but you are talking nonsense - lots of agency shooters do it - they generally aren't sending all the pics just the selects one at a time and it takes seconds to get a pic to the desk

And if you are talking about the serious stuff then Getty Images Olympic coverage is shown here - the article says ten photos a second via ethernet

Sorry but you are talking nonsense - lots of agency shooters do it - they generally aren't sending all the pics just the selects one at a time and it takes seconds to get a pic to the desk

And if you are talking about the serious stuff then Getty Images Olympic coverage is shown here - the article says ten photos a second via ethernet
Football is the subject Not anything else.

I have never seen anyone at football in 3yrs and over a hundred professional matches send photos to an agency by any other method than camera to card reader to laptop to agency via wifi or poss enthernet. That's Getty, AA, ProSports, TSG.AP,BPI and more. It's card camera to card reader by all of them all of who I sit next to at pitch side and press room. So It's not nonsens at all.

Do you send photos from professional football to an agency and if so by what means?

That is transfare from camera to laptop not direct to agency also I fail to see how transfare from camera is effective as it is far too slow.1 pic ever 3 to 5 seconds at best?

I have only ever seen one person try to use a transmitter on a camera at football and it was far too slow. Unless there is some sort of new way of transmitting photos from camera I cannot see how it would be viable at all. As I say what I have seen is 3 seconds per pic at best at 12 fps forget that!

You need to get around a bit more then. At the major matches, Getty,PA, AI (Reuters) and potentially AP will all be sending straight from camera.

I have never seen anyone at football in 3yrs and over a hundred professional matches send photos to an agency by any other method than camera to card reader to laptop to agency via wifi or poss enthernet. That's Getty, AA, ProSports, TSG.AP,BPI and more. It's card camera to card reader by all of them all of who I sit next to at pitch side and press room. So It's not nonsens at all.

Do you send photos from professional football to an agency and if so by what means?

Nearly ALL major agencies transmit images direct to the picture desks at Premier Games!, they do this via Ethernet cables either hard wired to the camera or more usually via a wifi converter.

Voice caption, tagged to chosen image, click, send & it's gone!,

This isn't usually seen at championship or lower leagues games as just the wifi signal from a MIFI unit or phone isn't fast enough due to bandwidth issues. But Ethernet is a must at premier league games.

The technology has of course been around a long time as I used a unit on a Nikon D2hs to wirelessly download images to my laptop via the Wt-1a.

Going back to Tony's post. I do send & have published both Championship & Premier League images, (2 images in todays Sunday Mirror & People), but it is getting harder to have images used via "spec". I usually now cover games on commission for the local paper so any further uses like Tony are a bonus! The issue for a freelance now a days is do I go down the route of Tony & Blue Marlin getting my own licence & grafting a good living from the lower Leagues!,
join an agency who hold relevant licences & hope for a "spec" use regardless of own costs involved!, (I've done this!! & it use to be profitable until Rex joined the fray).
A few good top agencies have gone down the Rex route SW Pix, BPI, as they do not need the hassle of syndication as they cover multiple sports on an international scale & any paper usages are a supplement to the income.
Regards Graham.

Last edited:

Really??
My mate here in New Zealand works for AP and edit/captions images direct for cameras at English Prem football games. Gets up in the middle of the night here. Watches the game on TV and edits the in coming images. Cannot not be that slow....

The guys from the likes of Getty, Reuters and PA routinely transmit straight out of the camera using an ethernet cable. They do voice captions and the pics are on their way to their offices while I'm still fumbling with my card reader. These are the people who can have a nice cuppa at half time and can pack their bags and head off straight after the final whistle. This is common practice at EPL games.

Yes. At ROI internationals either at home or away we will sending directly off the camera, with a voice caption. Either by wifi or wired. Means less time with your head in a laptop, and more time with your eye behind the camera. The picture desk have code replacements so it's only a few clicks for them too. Easily the fastest way to send during a match.

I'm retired from work now and one of my 'jobs' is doing sport for an agency on a commission basis. Mainly Premier League in the winter and top class cricket/tennis in the summer. I've made a lot of good friends over the years among similarly minded people who love sport and love photography. We're commonly referred to by some full-time rs as 'Muppets' or weekend warriors.

We've all paid our dues in the lower leagues and we're all decent togs whose work is published nationally and internationally, mainly via Getty or Rex.

There have been people like us at the margins of sports photography for many years - my own experiences goes back to the late 70s when most togs at top flight games worked for a paper with a few 'freelances' alongside. The old technology of film and having to physically deliver prints acted as a real barrier to anyone trying to 'make it' in sports or editorial photography.

Technology, of course, has transformed the equipment we use and gives anyone with half decent gear the chance to produce images of comparable or equal quality to full-time togs. The problem we all face is how best to distribute those images widely and quickly, especially when the guy sat next to you is transmitting straight out of the camera to his agency and doesn't even have to bother with a laptop. Distribution was an issue back in the pre-digital days, too.

We all would love to make more money out of what we do but the reality is that the money is spread very thinly and most of us are totally reliant on our agencies to get our pics distributed widely and relatively quickly. In the meantime, we do what we do because we love it. If I could find a way of making more money out of sports photography - and much of that seems to depend on where you live and what your local circumstances are - I would go down that route as well. We all make our own choices about what we do and why we do it, so good luck to anyone who can do this stuff well, enjoy the act of doing it and who can make a few bob along the way.
The problem is the same as any form of professional photography - anyone with a mid spec DSLR thinks they are capable of matching a photographer who has to feed his family, but will work for the kudos and Petrol money....

aaaargh

Last edited:
Looks like someone has just seen his Rex sales report! :D

pft.. got wound up reading posts from photogrpahers yet again complaining abuot there 2 and 3 quid sales to national newspapers.. got the better of me and i posted about how thick they are :( .. then sobered up and deleted it haha :)

presuming ftp server on laptop is best.. what software is anyone using on PC not mac

I ahve filezilla for FTP ..I presume its different software to be a server a si can't see anyhting in this ... will google ta :)

Yep. You'll probably have the client. You need the server version for this.

ignore....oops

Last edited:
Back