IS - How long does it take to settle down?

Name
Brian Ardrey
Edit My Images
Yes
I realise that IS isn't instant, but how long should it take to settle down?

Tested it in store the other day, was 'locking on' within 1/8th - 1/4th second (indoors, low(ish) light). A lot faster than I anticipated. Hard to be exact, of course :)

Edit: worth adding I was focusing on stationary objects.

I think it only works on stationary opjects. Not sure.

varies depending on the lens and generation of IS in use (assuming canon shizzle here).

Half a second to completely stabilise

Hard to time accurately, but I would say my 300mm L takes about half a second to fully stabilise on a stationary object (ie. IS Mode 1). No idea on mode 2 as I'm moving the lens so can't tell....

IS has nothing to do with focus on stationary or moving objects. It counteracts movement of the lens by using a type of gyroscope system. I believe Canon quote up to 1 second for it to settle but it does depend on how much the lens is moving and how much that movement varies.

... except in Oly cameras where the IS is in camera, therefore you get IS with every lens you use, and is instant.

Crikey - some people rant on about how brilliant 0.0000001 micro seconds turn on and ready shoot time for Canikons is, then you have to wait all that time for the IS to 'kick in'.... phah!

:)

How does the Oly IS cope with a 500mm lens? :D

How does the Oly IS cope with a 500mm lens? :D
Hi pxl8

Not sure if that's a put down or a try-to put down... but as you asked...

1/80th, f6.3, HANDHELD, ISO200, 500mm

p577462834-4.jpg

... and if that doesn't convince you...

1/500th, f7.1, HANDHELD, 500mm at a distance of 125'
p720304037.jpg

Have I misread your intent pxl8...?:thinking:

... and if that doesn't convince you...

1/500th, f7.1, HANDHELD, 500mm at a distance of 125'
p720304037.jpg

Have I misread your intent pxl8...?:thinking:

No, I doubted the ability of IS by shifting the sensor around. The first shot looks very good, the second less so but mainly because its been sharpened to hell and back :(

No, I doubted the ability of IS by shifting the sensor around. The first shot looks very good, the second less so but mainly because its been sharpened to hell and back :(
Not quite sharpened to hell and back, t'was a simple smart sharpen in CS3 as most on here do, but I take your point.

Here's the same crop from the original, exported from LR2 with no CS3 enhancement. Remember, this is handheld, at 500mm, and at a distance of 125'. I can provide the coordinates of where I was and where the Cormorant was using google maps if required.

p696985876-4.jpg

I think humble pie is on the menu eh! IS works very well thank you, with no waiting for up to 1 second for 'settling in' time. :)

show off

:D great shots though! i think if you're into long distant shots the 4/3 system is a great option as demonstrated here

Would that 500mm lens be 250mm in 35mm land?

show off

:D great shots though!

Hehe... thanks.

I was challenged though, or should I say Oly's in-camera IS was challenged. I rest my case though... :)

I am certain Canon and Nikon in lens IS is awesome too, but I get IS in each lens I place on the camera, and it works at 500mm too... :)

Would that 500mm lens be 250mm in 35mm land?
Hehe, just can't accept it can you, very sad, very sad indeed pxl8. I didn't put you down as one of them, I always though your posts and opinions were pragmatic.

Oly IS is excellent, as I am sure Canon and Nikon in-lens IS is. Why the constant put downs and challenges...? each system is good, and bad, in their own ways [except for the D700/D3 :)]. I really get fed up with the childish games of some people, and sadly, I only see it here on tP.

I thought you were better than that.:shrug:

Hehe, just can't accept it can you, very sad, very sad indeed pxl8. I didn't put you down as one of them, I always though your posts and opinions were pragmatic.

Oly IS is excellent, as I am sure Canon and Nikon in-lens IS is. Why the constant put downs and challenges...? each system is good, and bad, in their own ways [except for the D700/D3 :)]. I really get fed up with the childish games of some people, and sadly, I only see it here on tP.

I thought you were better than that.:shrug:

No, it's a serious question because it does make a difference as to how effective the IS system is. If the lens was a true 500mm then it's mighty impressive, if it's 250mm then it's still impressive but less so.

Of course quoting the lens as 500mm if it's really 250mm is a bit sad too :razz: ;)

Back to the original question I don't tend to give my IS very long to settle down tbh, I line up shot half press shutter to focus, which activates the IS, then fire. Maybe I am not giving it long enough, but it seems to do its job :) Not sure I have ever given it a second to steady.

MM - your second shot, should that read 1/500th at 500mm - would the IS being that much for that. I know 500mm is long, but that is quite a fast shutter speed. The first 80th shot a cracker though.

Ok, fair comments once again. I think the best example I can provide of the Oly in-camera IS, given my inexperience, is this shot.

Taken on Paddington station, again totally handheld, at 1.3 seconds, f5.6, ISO200

p380657780.jpg

that IS impressive (see what I did there) that not balanced on a hand rail or anything?

that IS impressive (see what I did there) that not balanced on a hand rail or anything?
My shoulder was against a rail, I took a few deep breaths, held my breath for a few seconds, then placed the camera to my eye and fired off a few...

I admit to having a few duds, but they were all handheld.

There's a few more here too if you would like to view 'em...

I can provide the coordinates of where I was and where the Cormorant was using google maps if required.
. :)

A Cormorant using Google maps? I thought that birds had a sort of natural instict and didn't need maps!

I always wondered how Swollows found their way back to our garden every year. Obviously they use GPS. :)

A Cormorant using Google maps? I thought that birds had a sort of natural instict and didn't need maps!

I always wondered how Swollows found their way back to our garden every year. Obviously they use GPS. :)
Welsh Cormorants are BIG... :)

Hehe...

Music Man. I love the shot of the station. Colours, composition implied movement - everything -excellent. You got any more stuff like that?

Canon 24-105 IS i would guess takes under half a second to freeze the image in the viewfinder. My Sigma 80-400 at 300mm ish takes slightly longer, maybe 0.75seconds.

It may actually take longer to get to the perfectly frozen image but its impossible to tell in the small viewfinder IMO.

Back