Is iMessage really free?

as far as im aware imessage is for text - ive never heard that images were sent via imessage no matter what the connection - could be wrong though

i see - i'd imagine it probably is via wifi only then, i doubt the network would let you get away with sending everything free all the time.

They'd make no money :/

My understanding is that iMessage only uses data, if you're on WiFi there's no additional cost above your broadband bill. If you're on mobile data through a carrier then it's part of the data allowance up until such time as you exceed your data limit and incur charges.....so in that respect, it's no longer free :D

iMessage uses data, whether it be wifi or mobile data.

Up to your data allowance, it is free, after that its whatever your network charges you. I'd imagine if you checked your bill you'd be charged for data usage.

Networks make money off contracts being set prices, texts and minutes are pretty much worthless now compared to data.

iMessage on an iPhone is slightly different to on an iPod or iPad....

If you use it on an iPod or iPad, then yes, the people above are correct, uses data which is either an allowance, chargeable or wifi.

On an iPhone, the same applies, except if there is no available data or wifi connection the iMessage will revert and be sent as a regular SMS message - again, from your bundle of SMS messages or chargeable.

In iMessage if the speech bubbles are blue, this is sent using data, if they are green, this is sent using SMS. (y)

As others have said, iMessage is free to send pictures, video and text via a data network. However, this only applies with Apple devices - if you send a message to a normal phone you will be charged as it sends as SMS/MMS. This would also be the case if you were connected to wifi.

Apple to Apple is data - Apple to other is MMS

I think it's been said enough that iMessage is free to send pictures but there must be a reason why you are being charged so much how much data usage do you have on your phone contract?

If that isn't the problem then maybe something in the iMessage settings on the phone it's self are to blame.

Happy Snapper said:
I think it's been said enough that iMessage is free to send pictures but there must be a reason why you are being charged so much how much data usage do you have on your phone contract?

If that isn't the problem then maybe something in the iMessage settings on the phone it's self are to blame.

It's supposed to be unlimited but they've been cheekily reducing it and I think it's now 300 mb

WillNicholls said:
Correction. It's 500mb but I'm reaching the limit all the tkme

Only things you can do are either up your data limit or send less pictures via iMessage without using wifi.

I have a gig of data and am always on my phone and never reach that.

Back