Is Ingleton worth the trip with a Kit lens?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,
i am an absolute beginner at the moment and have only had my Sony A450 with kitt lens for a week.
But i am thinking of heading over to Ingleton Falls trail next week during the week(weather dependant) when it should be a little quieter.

Now is it worth going there with just my a450, kit lens and tripod?
I don't yet have any filters or any other kit.
I have never really tried Landscape in any form so will be desperatly trying to remember everything i have been reading on here :thinking:

So will the absence of filters in particular stop me from getting anything and leave me frustrated that nothing is working, or is it worth a go and hopefully get something to make me smile?

Ingleton falls will give plenty of opportunities with your kit. If you've never been before, give yourself plenty of time as it takes about 4 hours to get round without stopping for loads of photos.

As the name suggests, there's a good choice of waterfalls, so keep it simple, the water flows fast, so start with a shutter speed of around 1/8th for blurred shots, then experiment as you go - slower shutter speeds for more water blur and vice versa.

The falls are stunning, so look for angles that add interest in the foreground and look for interesting clouds. If the lights crap consider shooting black and white instead and boosting the contrast a bit during processing.

Don't worry about lack of kit, learn to use the basic stuff first without getting confused with filters etc.

Hope that helps, sorry if I've misjudged your level a bit.

In a word YES. You've got a new camera go out and enjoy it and start getting some experience. TBH I'd concentrate on the camera for the moment and maybe add filters later. A good investment would be a remote shutter cord for the tripod stuff (or you could use the self timer). The main thing is to enjoy;)

Thanks Mike, and no i don't think you have misjudged my level.
I have only ever played about with a point and shoot before, so this will be the first time out with a DSLR :)
I have been reading and reading so now time to go out and try and put it into practice.
I am planning on taking one shot on Auto at each site(for comparison) and then switching to M and trying setting up myself.

And i've got a remote shutter release already Rhod :) So just got to hope for the weather now!!!

Last edited:
Dont forget that overcast skys can be good for the blurred water look;)

does anyoe know of a similar site nearer the Midlands ? Those waterfalls look supberb !

A word of warning! The steps/parhs/rocks can be VERY slippery! so please take care and enjoy your outing in safety!

You don't really need filters just yet. Just do the route. It's a fabulous site. Enjoy (y) Tripod is a must though.

Back