Is it harmful to the camera to shoot without a memory card?

Edit My Images
No
Hello

In my excitement of getting my new camera, I began taking test shots without a memory card. Everytime I pressed the shutter button the camera would say that the image cannot be saved (well obviously). So now I was just casually reading through my camera's manual and it said "be careful not to shoot without a memory card". Does anyone know if this is truly harmful to the camera? Thanks everyone.

I have never heard that it was harmful...
But the pictures are rubbish.

Maybe the manual means be careful as you'll lose the photos? Can't imagine it would be harmful... :)

It won't hurt the camera,

The manual is telling you not to forget the memory card, or you'll feel like a wally :D

No it won't, but most cameras have the option to disable the shutter if there's no card present - it's what I do...

Shooting without a CF card in there will cause data to leak everywhere inside your camera, this can be a really pain to clean up and should be avoided, the same goes for leaving usb cables plugged into your pc with nothing on the end, I've found it makes a right mess

Ofcourse not. That's a daft suggestion.

It was not a daft question at all. The OP should thank you for educated and well thought out answer. With your kind of attitude, no one would ever post on here again.:bonk:

To the OP, no it will not harm your camera.

It was not a daft question at all. The OP should thank you for educated and well thought out answer. With your kind of attitude, no one would ever post on here again.:bonk:

To the OP, no it will not harm your camera.

In fairness, I don't think he meant it was a stupid suggestion from the OP - he meant it was a stupid suggestion for the manual to say that it would damage the camera :)

I also lock the shutter if no memory card is present - Just in case!

Shooting without a CF card in there will cause data to leak everywhere inside your camera, this can be a really pain to clean up and should be avoided, the same goes for leaving usb cables plugged into your pc with nothing on the end, I've found it makes a right mess

thats the same as turning a hard drive upside down, the data falls off :LOL:

if you shake your monitor hard enough all the letters come off the screen etchersketch styleee.

I think the manuals warning was so you dont take loads of shots and not get them saved onto card, rather than actually causing any harm to the camera

Bad wording there in the manual, but it's a good pointer! I've almost done it a few times.

It's a bit like how some old TVs mentioned in the manual not to move it when it's switched on which led people to believe that it got heavier when it was on.

Back