Is it my lack of skill or my gear?

Me again haha.
Think the sigmas are appealing to me. I've heard people talking about them while I've been out and about.
Just got to choose which one now. London camera exchange has tonnes of used lenses!

Me again haha.
Think the sigmas are appealing to me. I've heard people talking about them while I've been out and about.
Just got to choose which one now. London camera exchange has tonnes of used lenses!

Don't forget about www.usedlens.co.uk I've been using his website since he first announced it on here, a great resource.

I've got a 150-500mm, it's pretty good, my camera is old and not the best IQ with high ISO which is always a challenge. Harder to get sharp images wide open too. Definitely worth it over a 300mm lens.

But no amount of good lenses fix not using them enough!

Hi folks, me again!
I'm now in a position to get a better lens. Budget up to £800. I really do like the look of the sigmas, do any of you have a preference?
Thanks
Abi

Exposure is not your problem
Sharpness is.

There are always five factors to sharpness factors to sharpness. and a few technical ones that we will not discuss here.

namely,,
1)Camera shake,
2) subject movement
3) focussing
4)Quality of lens
5) ability of your DSLR to focus correctly on the sensor with a particular lens.

It is evident that the images that you are making are nowhere near critically sharp.

it would be easy to check which of these or a combination of them is contributing most to your problem.
The first can be eliminated by the use of a tripod and remote release.
If that does not solve the problem then it must be one of the other four.
was the subject moving, if not it must be with the remaining three..
Try manual focus., if that does not solve the problem. it must be one of the other two
do you have the same problem when focussing with live view as with auto focus or is it only with auto focus,
if so your lens needs calibrating with the body,
If you do not achieve critical focus under any of these circumstances Try another lens.

Attached is a shot of a pigeon on the roof of my garage taken at the long end of my Fuji (budget) XC 50-230, hand held leaning against a door post.
I would expect any reasonable quality lens to be able to do the same. (100% enlargement)_TXE4153-web-100%.jpg

Firstly, congratulations on completing your Masters. I’m on the same path.

We are always taught that it’s not necessarily about the equipment per say but rather more about the eye behind the equipment. You need to be able to see the image before taking the image, composition and framing are very vital. These will then guide you as to which equipment is needed for the shots that you intend to take. You could start by having inspiration images before going out for a shoot, write down possible settings for possible outdoor scenarios. This will give you an idea of what to expect.
Go back to basics such as the rule of third, placement, graphic elements in landscape photography.
All the best

Back