Is It New Graphics Card Time?

The RTX 3060 card arrived today and I initially thought "bummer it's going to have to go back" before I even managed to get it out of the packaging. The card has an 8-pin socket and my PSU doesn't have any corresponding connectors :( A quick trip onto YouTube and I can see that I'm okay as I have a 6-pin & 2-pin together which will work :)

Five minutes later and the card is in and I'm pressing the power button very gingerly. No worries though, the PC burst into life but the screen resolution looks dreadful until hey-presto all is suddenly good again. I opened my NVIDIA Experience software and it has already figured out I have a new card and that there are new drivers for it. I remembered to choose the "Studio" driver rather than the "Games" one and we are cooking with gas!

So, did forking out £300 resolve my problem with the new denoise function in LRC? Well, with the GT 1030 card the denoise process took roughly 15 minutes and with the new card it is still 15 ... but this time it's seconds not minutes. WooHoo!! Changing the settings in Photoshop and the Topaz programs so that it uses the GPU rather than the CPU and we are all set. That is what I call a result :banana:

So, thanks for all the advice and suggestions above and it's my round if we ever cross paths :)

All sounds good! I went and got the 5900x to replace my old 5600x. This should help in video editing / photoshop and pumping out the JPGs from lightroom.

All sounds good! I went and got the 5900x to replace my old 5600x. This should help in video editing / photoshop and pumping out the JPGs from lightroom.
Hi Dilip, to be honest I didn't think a better graphics card would have such an impact.

I've just taken a look at your Flickr site and like the portraits. They're better than I could ever manage :)

Reactions: dkh
I couldn't stand it anymore been running my PC without a graphics card and LR was taking between 10-15 minutes to denoising so I just ordered the same graphics card as you can't wait until tomorrow for it to be delivered.

I couldn't stand it anymore been running my PC without a graphics card and LR was taking between 10-15 minutes to denoising so I just ordered the same graphics card as you can't wait until tomorrow for it to be delivered.
There are some other benefits to a discrete gpu too such as it has its own much faster video ram so has no need to ‘borrow’ from the ram pool,

And you can play games :D

How often are you going to use thi/s feature, if it’s every day then maybe it worth it. If it’s only occasionally then maybe not
I can't speak for others, but for me it is less about how often and more about how much per photo set. I occasionally do weddings and it would be useful for the evening shots where the iso has had to be bumped up just to clean them up a bit, likewise a recent holiday where there were nighttime parades etc. In both instances we are talking potentially dozens of shots per set, which at 20 minutes a time without the graphics card upgrade becomes a significant issue. My pc is pretty reasonable as a build but it still taking 22 minutes on photos from my Z6ii and about 18 minutes from my D750

Quick question, did you go for the 3060 12gb card, or the 3060 Ti 8gb one?
I decided to get the 3060 12GB card after watching several videos on YT where experienced (?) techies said the difference was too small to notice. For me, the results are well better than I was expecting and I'm perfectly happy with it (y)

Back