is it terrible?

Name
jurgita
Edit My Images
Yes
hello, im newbie in here and i really started to like photography.. i gonna start in here with this image. what do you think is it terrible?:help:

http://
rrrr1706k.jpg

Last edited:
It's not terrible no..its fair start.

Try to avoid chopping both elbows off as you have done, I think there is a bit too much space above his head. The only other thing that is standing out to me is that his stomach looks a odd..

Keep practising!

sorry doesn't do anything for me, is it a little over processed :thinking:
which is making his stomach look odd, and like wise the cut off of the elbows.

I have to agree the pp looks odd, have you applied to much sharpening. Put the original up

Yes: it is terrible.

Seriously, you couldn't think of anything a bit more constructive :wacky:

For me the processing is off and has made the stomach and the jumper look a bit off, also the chopping off of the elbows hasn't helped either...
But hey, it's a start and we all have to start somewhere, keep practicing and you will get there eventually :)

looks like too much skin smoothing on the stomach and the skin tone looks rather odd.

Too much PP does make it pretty bad (sorry!). It's especially evident on his stomach which glows.

Looking for some plus points, the composition works well (maybe his body need to be slightly straighter). I'd also maybe use a background with more contrast to his clothes (or get him to wear a different hoodie).

Could we see the original?

It's a really nice pose- so that's a good start! I agree about the elbows, would be nice to see them.

Looking at this on my iPhone so can't comment on sharpening and colour related issues.

As an image I like it; good pose, I like the close crop - don't mind the cropped off elbows - and I like the fact the hood is over his face yet there's a bit of a smirk going on.

The lighting I like - very youth fashion mag - and the only thing that jars with me is the fact only one wrist is exposed... would liked to have seen a bit of flesh on the other wrist to balance things out.

I'll have a look later on my laptop when I get home but overall, I think there's something about it that, despite not being the kind of image that generally floats my boat, has something going for it.

EDIT: Yep, after looking on the laptop, the processing is pretty 'out there'!! :D Would also like to see the original to see where it's come from, although I stand by what I've already said about the image compositionally :)

Last edited:
The OP asked a specific question - I gave a specific answer... :wave:

thanks for taking the time to further our learning by sharing your vast knowledge.

thanks for taking the time to further our learning by sharing your vast knowledge.

My apologies Matthew - I was brought up in a press room where if the images weren't good enough you got sworn at a lot or had things thrown at you (cameras, cups of cold tea etc.). You learned fast, I assure you, especially when reminded a dozen or more times every day that there were a hundered other scrawny youths vying for your job and that you could and would be replaced in an instant if you didn't sort it out.
I once had a roll of negatives screwed-up by an associate pic-ed and hurled at my head accompanied by a pithy one-word comment which rhymed with 'punt'.
Unfortunately it rubbed off and when I became an Associate Pic-Ed myself, I took the same approach with 'my' photographers. I've been lucky enough to work with some very talented people during my career (some even won awards for their efforts) and even they had to endure my sharp tongue if I felt their efforts were not up to their usual standards (or the standards of the agency).

I will try and bear in mind that I'm retired now and supposed to be mellowing with age.

Well, cobra_lite, without knowing your expertise someone might find that 3-word comment a bit harsh (I personally didn't really, I smiled a bit tbo because I got it as a direct response to the title and I'm probably used to the abuse as well). But as I said, it did come out a bit harsh, that's why you got those responses. But I'm sure that people in this forum would totally appreciate your years of experience (I know I would) but they can't really, not with 3-word posts.
Back to the subject, I do agree with all of the above. What ruins this for me is that it's got that Facebook feel to it, with the harsh on-board flash and with the photo giving the impression that no real thought was put into it. I believe that proper lighting would have saved this one, but for me it is not really doing I'm afraid.

thanks to all your opinions :) it really helped me to understand how to avoid at least biggest mistakes :D well i just learning and i think with the practice we can fix everything.. i liked the answer ,,yes its teribble" bcz now i really want to proove that i can do it much better :)
by the way stylgeo what do you mean facebook feel to it? well on a facebook we can find every type of photoes as well a really professional ones and in my opinion there shouldnt be saying like ,,facebook feel to it ".. bt thanks for the rest of your comment :)

Back