Is it time for a rethink

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
Having changed to MFT around 4+ years ago due to heart failure and needing lighter gear , a few things over the last day or two has made me wonder whether it’s time for a rethink over long range wildlife photography .
These days and galloping towards 80 i rarely go on long walkabout either shooting From the car or its vicinity . So it would be a case of erecting a tripod and Head ( have both still ) and setting up . Thinking along the lines of going back to a crop factor DSLR and something like Nikon d7200 and a sigma 150-600C i got Super shots with them a few years ago .
I would retain most of my Olympus gear for general use when I do go walkabout . Although mirrorless is superior in lots of ways I.e shooting speed etc unless you’re prepared to pour money into constant upgrades .
Obviously money comes into it but the above seems a far cheaper solution and chasing around for rarities is no longer an option so I won’t be lugging gear round all day ?????

Crikey Jeff. Mate, take a breath. You are such an accomplished wildlife photographer. You’re knowledgeable and skill are something a lot us aspire to. Stick with Olympus. You make it sing. Sure put it on a tripod if you must. Why not just save:wait until the new Olympus/Sigma 150-600 becomes available at HDEW.

Crikey Jeff. Mate, take a breath. You are such an accomplished wildlife photographer. You’re knowledgeable and skill are something a lot us aspire to. Stick with Olympus. You make it sing. Sure put it on a tripod if you must. Why not just save:wait until the new Olympus/Sigma 150-600 becomes available at HDEW.
Totally agree! Not sure what you'd gain from the change? The results you are getting just now are brilliant

Cheapest route would be to keep what you got, can’t see what gains you would get from what you suggest Jeff.
i changed to the Sony rx10 iv as l didn’t want to carry lenses and so decided the Sony would cover my needs and it has done that plus more.

Last edited:
Cheapest route would be to keep what you got, can’t see what gains you would get from what you suggest Jeff.
i changed to the Sony rx10 iv as l didn’t want to carry lenses and so decided the Sony would cover my needs and it has done that plus more.
That might be a route I will contemplate alby ,sell Some of my unused items to put towards it . Always keep a second set up for the mrs to use when the fancy takes her

As already mentioned not sure what you are gaining by moving to a DSLR. Given the you have latest m43 gear they probably perform better than older APS-C sensors too.

If you are wanting a simpler solution then the above mentioned RX10IV is quite nice.
I'm really disappointed with Sony for not updating the body with stack sensor and newer AF tracking but MK4 is still pretty decent.

So, perhaps naive questions on my part:
Could you not simply use your current rig ‘from the car’ as you suggest?
Where’s the advantage in going back to an APS-C DSLR based system?

Thanks all just ideas really running round My head . The sony rx10.mk4 idea sounds the most sensible at the moment and i probably have enough unused gear in the draws to cover the cost of a used one .
As some will know I did have a Panasonic FZ 1000mk2 but I sold that on due to the zoom range being to short . But it was fun to use time will tell

Last edited:
Thanks all just ideas really running round My head . The sony rx10.mk4 idea sounds the most sensible at the moment and i probably have enough unused gear in the draws to cover the cost of a used one .
As some will know I did have a Panasonic FZ 1000mk2 but I sold that on due to the zoom range being to short . But it was fun to use time will tell
I just looked at what I was doing with my photos and what I enjoyed using, I don't sell my photos I just enjoy taking them and posting the odd one or two on here, that didn't require me to have thousands of pounds tied up in gear. Owning the end of line sony bridge has remove the gas for new gear ;)

RX10IV is a more advanced camera overall than FZ1000ii.
Wider, longer, sharper and faster lenses with better AF overall.
But comes at twice the price!

Jeff, I do not think going back to a d7200 will give you images as good as you are producing now. Stick with what you have and revise it as needed.

Jeff I've got an unused Jobo gimbal head you could buy. And you know the history of it!!!!
I will keep that in mind Gordon ,you never know LOL

I am 79 yrs old and I too find DSLR cameras are getting heavy as well. I have gone to using a camcorder which also can be do stills. For example my Panasonic hc-x1500 can go to 600mm and easy to grab a frame for a still the advantage is it is small and lightweight. No extra lenses needed or filters .records on 2 cards well worth considering. I also use the panasonic DC-TZ95 compct for stills ,so i have both video and still option with little weight issues

Last edited:
About the middle of last year, I saw a South African door mount for a camera, apparently designed after an American version wasn't really easy to use, so it is supposedly quick and easy to use. I can try and find it (if no one knows of it already) if it might be of any use.

In reply to the cameras, I agree with the other comments, I don't see it being of any advantage to swap systems. It may in fact be worse, the stabilisation on both the Olympus and Panasonic systems plays a big part in results, coupled with cameras getting heavier the longer you hold them aimed (never noticed that a few years ago, gravity must have changed)

I think if the maximum length you used was 300mm, there might be a case for change, but then the 300mm for M43 is so light and small, it may not be worth a change when comparing like for like.
It would also depend a lot on how close you normally get and the need for cropping. I don't manage (mainly because it takes too much walking) to get close often, so need to crop quite often, then the longer reach in a smaller lighter package is really welcome.

Then the main reason, your results speak for themselves.

"If it aint broke, then don't fix it"

Hello Jeff, I really cant see that you will gain anything, except extra/alternative gear at some cost and weight.

Your M4/3 images of birds are some of the best out there with any gear.

At 81 and still with long covid, my reason for going to Sony RX10M4 was purely for kit weight.

I've now got an infinite number of lenses from 24-600mm + body, all in one small bag.

Oh, and superb IQ.

Jeff, just sit down and wait until the urge to change passes by!
You have so much success with the kit you have that I doubt that you would gain anything by changing. As age creeps up on us we all need to adapt to it and changing kit is not going to change that (by much). Accept that you don't want to walk as far and change your shooting style to embrace that. Your results will still be exceptional.

Jeff, just ask yourself what advantage an APS-C DSLR set up offers because unless I've missed something obvious to you I just can't see a single one.

APSC DSLR is great for size price and reach generally. Though if you're looking for portability then best off going for m43 body like the GX7 / GX85. M43 is small light and still got great quality, with interchangeable lenses. You know what you need though. If it's an optical viewfinder you need, smallest option is really something like a d3xxx or d5xxx series.

APSC DSLR is great for size price and reach generally. Though if you're looking for portability then best off going for m43 body like the GX7 / GX85. M43 is small light and still got great quality, with interchangeable lenses. You know what you need though. If it's an optical viewfinder you need, smallest option is really something like a d3xxx or d5xxx series.

?? He already uses M43, with fantastic results!

Jeff, just ask yourself what advantage an APS-C DSLR set up offers because unless I've missed something obvious to you I just can't see a single one.
I can see some potential advantages; but not by moving from top end 4/3 kit to mediocre APS kit.

Last edited:
Yeah cheers lads just had a bit of a downer on yesterday. Just given my head a wobble and back to normal now . All I need now is a osprey to land in the front garden to make my day LOL

Yeah cheers lads just had a bit of a downer on yesterday. Just given my head a wobble and back to normal now . All I need now is a osprey to land in the front garden to make my day LOL
From what I have read, one is more likely to crash than land :)

this idea any use? saves me carrying around a heavy camera and lenses. taken by myself on holiday

Last edited:
I can see some potential advantages; but not by moving from top end 4/3 kit to mediocre APS kit.

Looking at the kit involved I don't see any... for anyone but those who insist on having an ovf but as the OP has been mirrorless for some time I can't see this being a factor unless some mad ovf nostalgia has just kicked in.

this idea any use? saves me carrying around a heavy camera and lenses. taken by myself on holiday

If you are a stills photographer, surely it would be a better alternative to carry an RX10 that takes superb stills, (and videos) than to carry a video camera that may be able to take passable stills, depending on factors as mentioned there?
It is clear that bird photography is an essential part of the choice too.

That is if you are even considering that type of camera.

Jeff is the master of bird photography, and works wonders with his existing m4/3 kit. I understand his reasoning for wanting to change, but a bit of me thinks he has an itch to scratch ;)

Jeff is the master of bird photography, and works wonders with his existing m4/3 kit. I understand his reasoning for wanting to change, but a bit of me thinks he has an itch to scratch ;)
Not really just got a bit peeved with the new releases this week ,calmed down now sticking with what I have

Not really just got a bit peeved with the new releases this week ,calmed down now sticking with what I have

I was a bit disappointed with the lens. I was super excited till I read that it was just a rebadged sigma lens which is actually a full frame lens

I was a bit disappointed with the lens. I was super excited till I read that it was just a rebadged sigma lens which is actually a full frame lens
Not quiet but it’s more the price that’s p***ed me off

now the initial flurry has subsided its time to think rationally so using FF conversion amounts my 300mm f4 +1.4 tc gives me a equv-840mm reach @ f5.6 which is pretty good and sharp and hand holdable with dual i.b.i.s as I have frequently shown .
and over the last few weeks I have been tuning up the jpg side of things in camera on the OM1 and now have it pretty well sussed so I can use the 2x digital t.c with the same results so now with the simple turn of the control wheel I can shoot at 1680mm @ f5.6 and get good results .
the question now is do I invest £2600 in a overweight ,overpriced zoom lens or invest in a 2 xtc and get a potential 2400mm @ f8 handhold able

the complexity of it all is making my head spin

now the initial flurry has subsided its time to think rationally so using FF conversion amounts my 300mm f4 +1.4 tc gives me a equv-840mm reach @ f5.6 which is pretty good and sharp and hand holdable with dual i.b.i.s as I have frequently shown .
and over the last few weeks I have been tuning up the jpg side of things in camera on the OM1 and now have it pretty well sussed so I can use the 2x digital t.c with the same results so now with the simple turn of the control wheel I can shoot at 1680mm @ f5.6 and get good results .
the question now is do I invest £2600 in a overweight ,overpriced zoom lens or invest in a 2 xtc and get a potential 2400mm @ f8 handhold able

Mate. Good luck working that one out !!

I'm not sure how well the 150-600mm will perform on m43. It's really at its limits on the 60mp FF sensor. The OM1 sensor has the same pixel density as a 80mp FF sensor.
So I'm not sure it'll give you good results.
This is what annoys me about this lens :(

Its also the same weight as 150-400mm which for most part is much better lens. Comes with built in TC and will take external TCs much better than this lens.

Back