Is it worth an upgrade?

Which camera should I upgrade to, or should I wait?

• D750

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • D810

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Wait 4 years for the D850

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
So I've been using a D610 since beginning 2016. It's been generally good: not too large or heavy, all the resolution I need, decent dynamic range, low noise, excellent battery life. Let me stress that I don't *need* to change the camera. However it's not perfect. The focussing system hunts in a dimly lit pub, the rear screen is fixed (what a crap idea that is for an enthusiast camera!) and occasionally I wish for a little less diffusion in the image when pixel peeping, possibly due to the anti-aliasing filter - noticeable with a couple of my lenses, though not all of them.

Those are things I'd like improved. The D750 fixes most of that and has great low-noise perfrmance, but still has an AA filter. The D810 fixes most of that and I like the idea of higher, crisper resolution for landscape work, but it has a fixed rear screen. I shoot mostly landscapes/architecture/people, don't do sports. I can afford to buy a used D750 or D810 outright now, but not really sure if it's worth it, or I should wait another 4 years until the D850 has dropped in price to the level that the D810 is now.

What do you think?

It's up to you how badly you WANT to upgrade!

If you have spare cash available now and don't think you'll be needing it in the next year or 2 then go for it. My choice would be (was!) the D750.

If you aren’t in a rush, rumour has it that Nikon has a Z5 on the way. What that will have is not known but it might be worth waiting for if mirrorless is the future and you don’t shoot sports/ action.

If you aren’t in a rush, rumour has it that Nikon has a Z5 on the way. What that will have is not known but it might be worth waiting for if mirrorless is the future and you don’t shoot sports/ action.
Mirrorless from Nikon isn't going to fly for me at this stage, particularly one that hasn't yet appeared, and I'm definitely not buying new. If I wanted mirrorless then I'd probably go used Sony now.

You can't take pictures with a camera you don't have .
Why wait for the next one to come out?
I've just bought a new 750 to upgrade from my 600. I found the camera searched too much in very low light situations. I'm involved with The Beltane Society and the University pole dancing society so low light goes with the territory :) particularly with the pole dancing as flash is not allowed - the lighting on stage is tricky to terrible.

Last edited:
It's up to you how badly you WANT to upgrade!

I'm not burning to upgrade, but at the moment I can afford to and the 2 obvious choices are well priced right now, yet not so old as to be obsolete.

Having thought about @Mintchocs mirrorless comment I went off and did an internet evaluation of the Sony A7II - reason being that I can use my Nikon AND minolta FF lenses with it through adapters - but the disadvantages of shorter battery life and possibly less effective focussing put me off. Decent IBIS would be nice though, and an A7RII might also bring a boost in dynamic range, but these cameras don't come up very often used here as far as I can see.

If you can get a decent trade in on it I'd get a D750, shouldn't cost you too much to upgrade. You get a better focus system with more AF points, an upgraded processor, better DR and better low light performance [same as a D810] and no penalty for size or weight - the 750 is actually 10g lighter

It's arrived :)
I'll give it a work out tonight at Fire Club.

I have too much invested in Nikon lenses and bodies to consider a new system.
Hope you come to a correct decision for you, Toni.

Jerry - if there was a Maypole it would be on fire :)

D810 is the way to go, mind you I prefer Pentax's execution of the flippy screen on the K-1 (I own D810, D500 and K-1 so I know).

I doubt that the D850 will come down to the D810s price point at all. Lowest I have seen a UK D810 is £1800, and I can't see the D850 coming down that far.

D750 sounds like the ideal step, although for me as I have a D750 if I could I’d step up now I’d go with a D810.

splash the cash and buy a d850 you can't take your money with you
or why not consider the d500 brilliant camera
thats in your budget
im lucky i have both

splash the cash and buy a d850 you can't take your money with you
or why not consider the d500 brilliant camera
thats in your budget
im lucky i have both

Thanks Holty, but a used D810 is just at the stretchy end of things, and I don't want another crop camera right now.

D750... it has the articulating screen you want and better AF. The "diffusion" you mention with a couple of lenses is not sensor related per se. And in low light shooting with higher ISO settings you're probably not going to be able to really benefit from the higher resolutions of the D8xx cameras.

I am more than happy with my D810. It has everything I want and more,there are a lot of "hidden" bits with the menu such as greying out when using a DX lens. So it pays to look at you- tube videos to discover them. My top favourite is enabling the shutter release button to work in stills or video mode. The red video button is fiddly to find. Coming from a D800 the difference not having the AA filter is a bonus. I did a side by side comparison and the D810 won hands down

Last edited:
I am more than happy with my D810. It has everything I want and more,there are a lot of "hidden" bits with the menu such as greying out when using a DX lens. So it pays to look at you- tube videos to discover them. My top favourite is enabling the shutter release button to work in stills or video mode. The red video button is fiddly to find. Coming from a D800 the difference not having the AA filter is a bonus. I did a side by side comparison and the D810 won hands down

Thanks for that. Despite the poll I'm swaying *slightly* towards the D810, partly because of the lower minimum ISO and very high-res sensor, partly because of little features like the shutter that can close off the eyepiece for long exposure images - I sometimes do long exposure work, and that would be better than hanging my hat over the camera.

When I started thinking about this there were a couple of D750s in the classifieds, but now there's just D810s.

Back