Is it worth going full on micro 4/3?

mex

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
I have arthritic shoulders and as such lugging around long lenses in the field is becoming too much of a task, but I don't want to knock wildlife photography on the head if I can help it. I'm currently using a Sony A7 iv with a 200-600 and an Olympus OM-DE M1 mkii for macro/close-up. I really like using the Olympus, probably more so than the Sony... so.... would it be worth looking at getting an Olympus 300 f4 Pro and selling on the 200-600 with weight and portability being a main factor, is the IQ on the 300 good ? I'm also toying with getting an OM1 as there seems to be quite a few about at a decent price following the release of the OM1 mkii.

The 300mm F4 is, for me, stellar in performance.....to quote(?) Blackadder it is "as sharp as a sharp thing ..."

It also takes to x1.4 & x2 TCs without loss of the sharpness.

It is worth noting that the tripod foot is Arca Swiss grooved for use as needed on a tripod or monopod.

Edit ~ saw my typo.....no loss of sharpness with the TCs ~ phew!

Last edited:
Reactions: mex
The 300mm f4 is one of the sharpest lenses I have ever used and coupled with a 1.4 tc is a killer combo .. add to that the OM1 and you won’t go wrong ( once it’s set up properly) .
There’s not that much weight difference in weight though but the balance is better than the Sony set up .without checking it’s around 1 kg lighter , and of course as you know you have no need for covers ,bags,backpacks , tripods ,monopods etc I just go walkabout with camera and lens . The OM1 battery is that good you don’t even need a spare
PS plenty of sample pics from my combo on here

Last edited:
I have arthritic shoulders and as such lugging around long lenses in the field is becoming too much of a task, but I don't want to knock wildlife photography on the head if I can help it. I'm currently using a Sony A7 iv with a 200-600 and an Olympus OM-DE M1 mkii for macro/close-up. I really like using the Olympus, probably more so than the Sony... so.... would it be worth looking at getting an Olympus 300 f4 Pro and selling on the 200-600 with weight and portability being a main factor, is the IQ on the 300 good ? I'm also toying with getting an OM1 as there seems to be quite a few about at a decent price following the release of the OM1 mkii.
I think you've got to do a rational assessment of weight. M4/3's simply doesn't have those beneficial weight savings anymore. The Fuji XF 70-300 is circa half the weight of the Olympus 300mm. Pair that with the XT30 II (Less than 400grams and lighter than the EM1 Mk2) and you have a significant weight saving. If it's all about weight then there are better options in my opinion.

I went from M4/3 to Sony RX10M4 for that reason, I'll be 81 in a couple of weeks.

With it's 24-600mm lens (in FF), It's a bag-full of lenses in one body.

Will I go back to M4/3 only time will tell.

I have had stellar results from my OMD EM mkiii never really missed the bigger sensors.
I did lots of great images at my nieces 40th birthday party at the weekend. Popped a little flash on and shot at ISO 640 images looked great! I also love doing macro photography with this camera too.

Back