Is it worth it

Wasn't Bony - it was the British admiralty who hung Admiral Byng.
If we are being pedantic it was Voltair in "Candide" who used the line "In this country, it is thought wise to kill an admiral from time to time to encourage the others." referring to Byng's execution for cowardice. Several claims have been made that Napoleon took to quoting (or misquoting) it at staff meetings with his generals and whether that is true or not it has a nice ring to it.

What they actually said was that they'd look at move the ventilator off those for whom it's just delaying death, and onto those who would fully recover, if it comes to it.

Age might not be a factor in that situation, unless you're very old. I doubt it's just an "over 70, you can die" decision though.

Indeed, and your accurate record of what was actually said paints a different and more reasonable and acceptable picture than the OP's version .
As soon as there is a departure from a purely clinical assessment (based on there being no prospect of doing anything except prolonging dying in a terminally ill patient) then very dangerous ground is being trodden.
Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Two of my neighbours seem to be struggling with the concept of not going out. Both are unemployed, one is a single mum, normally she just takes her daughter to school then returns home for the day, then picks her daughter up again in the afternoon. Once a week she goes for the weekly shop in her car. Other than that the car rarely moves.
The other culprit is also unemployed, he very rarely steps foot outside, his wife takes their kid to school. The bloke doesn't own a car but keeps borrowing various cars. Sometimes he doesn't have a car for several weeks, sometimes he has borrowed a car and it doesn't move for a week.
Both of these people have been out several times in their cars. Yesterday the woman was out for most of the day and the bloke went out twice in his borrowed car. This morning the bloke has been out 3 times in the car.
They appear to be doing the exact opposite of what the government have advised, but also to what they would normally do anyway.
Other than their kids not going to school, I'm guessing they see these measures as very little disruption to their normal lives
Selfishly blind to the fact that they could make others I'll or ultimately be costing some poor soles their lives.
I want this over and done with asap, so I can go back to work, get back up the gym, so other than the weekly shop, I have become a hermit.
What have you been doing to pass your time? :LOL:

Well OP your posts do tend to focus on worst case scenario situations. The chances of you catching the virus if you stay at home and if you observe social distancing and sanitise/wash you’re hands after touching hard surfaces (trolley handles) are genuinely very slim.

None of the above is very difficult.

On another note I went for an hours drive yesterday (essential work) and I thought I’d take the motorway hoping for a 1960’s driving experience and well it was just like any other mid morning, plenty of cars around!!

Well OP your posts do tend to focus on worst case scenario situations. The chances of you catching the virus if you stay at home and if you observe social distancing and sanitise/wash you’re hands after touching hard surfaces (trolley handles) are genuinely very slim.

None of the above is very difficult.

On another note I went for an hours drive yesterday (essential work) and I thought I’d take the motorway hoping for a 1960’s driving experience and well it was just like any other mid morning, plenty of cars around!!
There was a 3 car pile up on our local motorway the other day that closed the road for over 4 hours. It is a busy road (for Scotland) but traffic levels are definitely lower.

I went out a couple of days ago in the car to get some eggs at a farm shop
Drove over the A14 which is a very busy road and it was at least fifty percent quieter than usual

Nippier than most ICE cars as well (up to a certain point at least!)

Back on topic (sort of, anyway!)

Found out about a local, family run garden centre who are still open but struggled to justify the 3 mile trip (each way) to myself during the lockdown. The possibility of it being a longer period allowed me to self justify the trip to get a few tomato plants as well as some strawberries. As I said in another thread, we're usually away when toms need attention so don't plant seeds ourselves, although I do have some really nice beef tom seeds we saved from a salad last September. Was the GC trip worth it? Probably.

If we are being pedantic it was Voltair in "Candide" who used the line "In this country, it is thought wise to kill an admiral from time to time to encourage the others." referring to Byng's execution for cowardice. Several claims have been made that Napoleon took to quoting (or misquoting) it at staff meetings with his generals and whether that is true or not it has a nice ring to it.

And if we're being completely pedantic, it's Voltaire...:)

I would blame the changes in spelling over the years.

Back