Is it worth spending over £1000 on a bed?

DorsetDude

Spud
Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
And 20 seconds spent self-consciously lying on one in a showroom is surely not enough time to be able to choose one anyway.
Mine's 15 years old at least and could possibly do with changing although I seem to kip ok in it. A random spring will occasionally "ping" which never used to.

How do you choose a bed and what would you spend? Was pondering these Simba jobs but they come all rolled up in a box, surely a decent mattress wouldnt be able to be rolled up tight like that.
If I could get a king size divan for £600-£700 maybe.

Cheers

I bought a mattress last year. It was about £350. I was amazed at the difference.

Just to reassure you, it came vacuum packed in a tight roll. As soon as I unpacked it, it just sprung right into shape.

I’ve slept like a baby ever since :)

a BED is just a base I would think a decent mattress is the first step.
Rob.

I bought a mattress last year. It was about £350. I was amazed at the difference.
Was it a Simba? And if you dont mind me asking how heavy are you? Im a bit of a fat b*****d and wonder if they'd support my weight ok.

I spent 2 to 3 hours in a big store trying out mattresses, and went back to do the same several times, then took my wife along to do the same - it really is worth taking the time. In the past, we've bought after a few self-conscious minutes lying on a bed and regretted it. I actually enjoyed the process and got quite chatty with a few other bed-testing folks - not been in bed with so many different women for many years...

We have a fifteen year old Sealey Posturepedic mattress and it is still great. We have to turn it over and swap ends on a two monthly basis, keep it vacuumed, but it is so comfortable (on the firm side) and hasn't got any troughs or lumpy bits. We may get another one soon (the OH is nagging a bit) but I hate getting rid of stuff which works.
I think they are about £370 for the King size.

Unless there is something wrong with your bed base, Keith, I would look at just getting a new mattress.

We use a Relaxsan Teflon which is great - really firm but comfortable. These come in the roll and it is a bit to think the roll is going to expand into a full size mattress, but it does.

Dave

I’ve slept like a baby ever since :)

Waking up every 4 hours, hungry and with a wet nappy... ;) :p

In answer to Keith's question, yes - if it will give you several years of good sleep. If necessary, spend more on the mattress than the bed and upgrade the bed at a later date if necessary.

Unless there is something wrong with your bed base, Keith, I would look at just getting a new mattress.
Good call. I always thought you were supposed to replace the base as well but this is probably just something bed manufacturers have been telling us for years.
And maybe the new mattress wont be an exact fit and overhang slightly or not quite reach the edge.

In answer to Keith's question, yes - if it will give you several years of good sleep
But at the time of buying you dont know if its going to do you. A lot of money on a chance. Certainly something I'd have to sleep on. boom boom.

Last edited:
We replaced our mattress just a few months back, did the usual viewing/testing. Ended up spending just over £300 on a deep pocket sprung mattress with memory foam top layer. It is massive and only just fits onto our wooden bed frame.

What I like the most - its depth (21cm), its firm but with enough give to be comfortable but well supported.

The problem I find with mattress shopping is the few minutes testing in store will never be enough to fully appreciate if it will be suitable for you but at the same time you cant test for weeks on end before you buy so it is a bit of a whim and a prayer though.

But at the time of buying you dont know if its going to do you. A lot of money on a chance. Certainly something I'd have to sleep on. boom boom.
Watching with interest, I have noted the odd "ping" over the last week of so, so I guess its time for a change also.

As an aside, my lad paid about £1000 for a mattress ( alone) and its the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat on !
I've also slept on a memory foam mattress. I didn't like that one little bit, uncomfortable and hot!

Check out the IKEA Hovag I am a convert after renting a house in Scotland that had one.
Now have a house full of them in Yorkshire.

How do you value sleep ? say 6 hours a night x 365 x15 years = 32,760 hours = £0.03 p per hour

Bargain :D if you spend £1k on a bed

If my sums add up ;)

Reactions: Nod
We spent £2k on a "Luxury Matress" and bed from Bensons for beds about a year ago. We spend 45 minutes or so trying various beds and specifically this one to ensure it was comfortable. It was a Super king which goes to explain the price a bit. 2 weeks after receiving it, I was sleeping on a blow up mattress it was so uncomfortable.

Eventually I got Bensons for Beds to take it back and swop it for another, but it cost me 10% plus shipping of the replacement. Not only that but the replacement we chose was £200 cheaper and they wouldn't refund the difference.

Moral of the story. The most expensive "Luxury" mattress isn't always the most comfortable and try in store and buy online.

I would be inclined to try one of the mattresses that allow 100 day or so to try at home, to make sure that it's for you.

As an aside, we have a mattress topper which is extremely comfortable. It's sheepskin, so too warm for summer, but lovely in the winter.

I would be inclined to try one of the mattresses that allow 100 day or so to try at home, to make sure that it's for you.

As an aside, we have a mattress topper which is extremely comfortable. It's sheepskin, so too warm for summer, but lovely in the winter.

Was just going to mention this.
Worth considering.

Tried my parents' Tempur mattress a couple of times and didn't like it at all - far too hot so that put us off memory foam for a while but had a really nice one which was made up of several plies of different foam for support, air circulation and the like. Lasted about 8 years before starting to sag a bit. Would have bought another if they still made them but they don't. Got a similar thing but it's not as comfortable and is sagging a bit after 3 years or so. Will be trying one of the 100 day triallers before too long.

As my Grandfather used to say, buy the best bed and shoes you can afford - if you're not in one, you're in the other.

Last edited:
We also bought a single memory foam single mattress 3 weeks ago, from Argos. It was delivered in a tight roll.
As the driver was getting it out of the van, I shouted `whoa whoa, I ordered a mattress not a quilt!` He just smiled & carried it over.

It took a good few hours to fully expand, but the lad loves it & says it's very comfy.

We changed our mattress a couple of months ago. Fully sprung with a memory foam type topper, brilliantly comfy but without the heat our precious memory foam mattress was. Got it from our local dreams after trying out several instore.

We popped into dunelm mills in the summer to get a memory foam mattress topper for our caravan ,they were bloody expensive and Were about to walk out when the wife spotted some right at the back of the shop that had been reduced to give away prices due to damaged bags . And after a bit of searching through the pile of bags we eventually found one to fit our super sized ikea bed as well .
We walked out of there with two nice thick memory foam mattress toppers for the princely sum of £35 quid . Sleep like a baby these days

Check out the IKEA Hovag I am a convert after renting a house in Scotland that had one.
Now have a house full of them in Yorkshire.

Yep, Hovåg for me too.

We used to have a *really* expensive ViSpring. after many years and several house moves it was no longer comfortable. So we got a mattress topper which improved things somewhat. Eventually we spent £200 on a slatted bed base and £180 on a Hovåg. Really comfortable. And if it lasts 3 years then it's cheaper than a £1000 mattress that lasts 15.

When we moved into our house 3 years ago went around the bed shops and tried a Silentnight Geltex. Is really comfortable, supportive like memory foam but you dont end up sunk down or hot. Its on the firm side which i prefer. Ended up getting from amazon as they are really easy to return to if you have any problems.

I saw a mattress in harrods selling for £125,000. When I went over to it and pressed it down with my hand the shop assistant nearly had a heart attack. They did have a cheaper one at £77,000 just in case you weren’t feeling flush that day!

A friend of mine got one of those EVE mattresses a few years ago for free. Apparently you get 3 months to try them to see if you like them. He got in touch with them at the end of the trial and said he didn't like it as much as his previous bed, and could they come and take it back and give him a refund. The refund was processed quickly, but he didn't hear back about them collecting the old one for a few days so sent them a reminder email. They apologised for the delay (he lived in a remote and often gets charged extra for delivery by couriers), and said if he had any relatives that would like it, then it would save them the effort of collecting it and recycling it!

A friend of mine got one of those EVE mattresses a few years ago for free. Apparently you get 3 months to try them to see if you like them. He got in touch with them at the end of the trial and said he didn't like it as much as his previous bed, and could they come and take it back and give him a refund. The refund was processed quickly, but he didn't hear back about them collecting the old one for a few days so sent them a reminder email. They apologised for the delay (he lived in a remote and often gets charged extra for delivery by couriers), and said if he had any relatives that would like it, then it would save them the effort of collecting it and recycling it!

I often wondered what they did with a mattress that had been slept on for 3 months. My guess was "landfill".

8mm plywood under the mattress. Raise the head of the bed about 4 inches. Firm pillow.
Super sleep.

Mattress salesmen have a lot in common with estate agents, MP's, Lords etc. etc.

FWIW, Eve mattresses have £100 off until the end of the month. Order direct through them rather than Amazon - a lot of the 1 & 2 * reviews on Amazon seem to be down to poor seller service and returns rather than the item itself. Take their estimated delivery time with a pinch of salt too - I ordered one that was due to be delivered on Thursday but I'm having to wait in for it today "before end of day". Luckily, Mrs Nod has ordered something for delivery today so I should only need to waste one day!

Keith, not sure if you're sorted yet but if not, I can now report on the Eve mattress we've just started using. VERY early days but after just 2 nights, we are both sleeping appreciably better. It's quite firm but the softer top layer stops it from feeling hard, just supportive. AFAIK, the offer of £100 off is valid until the end of December ('17 for anyone reading this next year!) which brought the cost for ours (UK double) down to £499 inc delivery - well below the £1000. Leaves plenty to spend on a new bed base if you need one! We left it out in the conservatory for about 24 hours which hugely reduced the new mattress smell.

We recently spent £800 on a new bed/mattress which wed were really happy with, I spent last week in hospital as a in-patient, sleeping on one of their beds for a week then going home to sleep in your own reminds me why I paid extra for the comfort, sleeping in my own bed was pure luxury compared to hospital bed.

Though I've not trained the wife to giving me breakfast in bed yet;);)

I think the mattress is the thing that is most important in many ways as the bed itself just needs to provide adequate support - the main thing with beds it to avoid big gaps between slats (no more than 5cm) - for some reason "divan" bases have never appealed to me and I have always gone with basic wood slatted bases (and spent more on a decent mattress), as they generally seem to look better.

Well I've just recently spent a lot more than that :eek: and to me it's worth every penny, but mines for medical reasons

Same here Matthew, I think mine was about 4.5K all up and that was 8 yrs ago, mind you its a fully profiling hospital style double bed with a bariatric/pressure relieving mattress and I do live in it 24/7, so well worth the outlay.

Same here Matthew, I think mine was about 4.5K all up and that was 8 yrs ago, mind you its a fully profiling hospital style double bed with a bariatric/pressure relieving mattress and I do live in it 24/7, so well worth the outlay.

Sounds like we made a very similar purchase allthough I'm not in mine all time I guess I'm lucky although mine wasn't quite that expensive at a little over 3k

Back