is it worth upgrading this lens

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

I have the cance to get a canon 17 - 85 IS USM lens for a very good price off my friend I currently have the 18 - 55 is the lens much better or am i better getting the tamron 17 - 50 f2 as I shoot a lot of portraits?

he might be selling me his 40d as well again is this much of a step up from the 450d?

Thanks in advance

I personally don't rate the 17-85 that highly, but it does have its fans. The Tamron would be my choice of the two.

However, both are an upgrade from the kit lens and likewise the 40d is a good step up from your 450d.

Cheers,
James

I use my 17-85 quite a lot, and while it isn't perfect I like it. Auto focus is fast, quiet and accurate. It's best at the long end, I've taken some very sharp well detailed portraits with it. It does however suffer a little at the wide end, a fair amount of distortion and purple fringing but nothing that DPP can't fix. As it's your friend that's selling can you not borrow it for a few days to try out?
40D would be a good step up from your 450D, again if he does sell I'm sure you'll be able to borrow it?

Back