Is lighting everything?

Edit My Images
No
I have been playing with my new Sony 200 for the last 3 days. However most pics have come out crap. All be it I have only used it indoors in a house with energy bulbs.

Those energy saving lights are basically mini fluorescent tubes so you'd probably need to change the white balance accordingly.

Paul

Here are some examples:

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

4.jpg

White balance is only one of the issues, and is easily adjusted.

What can't be adjusted is that these lamps are just not suitable for photography because they don't record all colours accurately.

This is because the Colour Rendition Index is way too low - it needs to be at least 90 to give reasonably accurate colours (daylight and tungsten lights are somewhere like 99-100% and normal household bulbs are often only around 60% or even less.

Whenever anyone buys fluorescent lights that are claimed to be suitable for photogaphy, the first thing to check is the CRI, not the price

Lighting isn't everything, but it's part of it. Photography is a combination of lighting, composition, subject and technique.

The first is just a dull subject. Tracy Emin would be proud of it though as some kind of comment on modern society and the three lines of light on the right are just there so people ask questions. There are no answers though. Sell it to the Tate, not Ikea.

2nd the shutter speed is too slow (which is why it's blurry) so yes, lighting is important as you don't have enough of it.

3rd one is a great example of the different types of lighting your camera has to deal with. You have a tungsten (or very warm) bulb lighting the hallway which is why the foreground is orange. The much cooler daylight is lighting the background which is why it's so blue back there. You can overcome this though with blue flash gels to balance the indoor and outdoor lighting. It's a lot of effort for a picture of your dog though, just take it in the garden.

3rd one is a great example of the different types of lighting your camera has to deal with. You have a tungsten (or very warm) bulb lighting the hallway which is why the foreground is orange. The much cooler daylight is lighting the background which is why it's so blue back there. You can overcome this though with blue flash gels to balance the indoor and outdoor lighting. It's a lot of effort for a picture of your dog though, just take it in the garden.

Spot on - the mixed lighting is another factor.

The point I was (hopefully) making is that your room lights can't reproduce all colours accurately even when they are the only lighting

Back