Beginner is lightroom 5 ok?

Name
Jack
Edit My Images
Yes
ive been looking into getting lightroom but lightroom 6 is a little expensive and i can get lightroom 5 for £30 is worth getting

Get it.

Last edited:
LR5 for £30, sounds good, where from

Be careful with those ebay jobbies - they look a bit dodgy to me, some of them even say the code won't work and you'll have to talk to Adobe support!

havent read any saying that, but thanks for the heads up are you not safe with using paypal?

Be careful with those ebay jobbies - they look a bit dodgy to me, some of them even say the code won't work and you'll have to talk to Adobe support!
2nd this. I bought Photoshop from Ebay seller with 100% feedback when I tried to register it was told illegal registration number, lucky I got money back. Russ

I still use LR4 and find it excellent and does everything I need but LR5 should be better and do 99% of what you want.

I still use LR4 and find it excellent and does everything I need but LR5 should be better and do 99% of what you want.
I too was using LR4 until recently, if it wasn't for getting a d750 and then needing to upgrade to LR6 for compatibility I wouldn't have changed. LR4 was plenty good enough for me. I never understand the need to upgrade software to the very latest release, the changes usually seem to be quite minimal. The reason good reason is for camera compatibility.

Don't forget once you have a standalone copy of LR you can 'upgrade' from the adobe website for a price cheaper than buying the full copy (you need to keep your first copy). This is useful if you decide to 'upgrade' to LR7 or LR8 if they are future release versions. No need to upgrade to every version there is, I went from LR4 to LR6 missing LR5 altogether.

Last edited:
I too was using LR4 until recently, if it wasn't for getting a d750 and then needing to upgrade to LR6 for compatibility I wouldn't have changed. LR4 was plenty good enough for me. I never understand the need to upgrade software to the very latest release, the changes usually seem to be quite minimal. The reason good reason is for camera compatibility.

Don't forget once you have a standalone copy of LR you can 'upgrade' from the adobe website for a price cheaper than buying the full copy (you need to keep your first copy). This is useful if you decide to 'upgrade' to LR7 or LR8 if they are future release versions. No need to upgrade to every version there is, I went from LR4 to LR6 missing LR5 altogether.

+1 fro this - been using 4, just upgraded to 6 really for the anti haze and a few other tweeks that work well for me.
I wouldn't but an ebay £30 copy - too cheap, there's something wrong there. Sounds like all you'll get is an iffy code (you download the software from Adobe).

Yes, as has been said LR 5 is great and well worth it - don't forget to upgrade it to the latest version of 5 if / when you get a copy...

Software in particular is an area on ebay where you need to hone your 'reading between the lines' skills ...

I'm not saying 'don't' - just cultivate an awareness of the risk factor and follow your hunches.

If your budget's limited, even LR3 might do you fine, but check it works on your OS (I'm only saying that to cover myself). But I'd start with the latest version you can afford, since they may use a more recent 'process version' and might save updating hassles later.

Software in particular is an area on ebay where you need to hone your 'reading between the lines' skills ...

I'm not saying 'don't' - just cultivate an awareness of the risk factor and follow your hunches.

If your budget's limited, even LR3 might do you fine, but check it works on your OS (I'm only saying that to cover myself). But I'd start with the latest version you can afford, since they may use a more recent 'process version' and it might save updating hassles later.

Thanks Ned - I should be more attentive. However the dng business isn't so much of a hassle if it's an enabler for someone on a limited budget. Don't knock it because it doesn't suit your particular circumstances.

yes all those lightroom 5's on ebay supply a link to the adobe website where you download the trial, and the seller on ebay gives you a dodgy code which sometimes works but usually does not.

LR and CS on e-Bay should be treated with caution. I speak from personal experience. If a deal looks too good to be true then it probably is!
Do yourself a favour and don't buy all the hassle that could very well come with it. It's not worth it.

you can get photoshop cc and lightroom 5 for about £7 a month which is what ive done, some say its expensive like that but for me its less than the price of 2 beers a month

Back