is manufacturers warranty worth £100 over sellers warranty???

Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm going to buy a canon 5D in the next couple of days and im deliberating whether to save myself £100 by buying from a based in and shipped from uk but imported camera with only a sellers warranty.

Is it worth the extra £ to have the manufacturers warranty?

Any experience with such a problem??

Matt [S1]Help[/S1]

No expeience, but who does the warranty work on the Grey import? How long will it take?

At least with the Canon warranty you know they're not going to disappear, and they do repairs pretty fast.

I hadn't thought about that in this current climate they could go bust tomorrow..

surely a canon warranty is with canon, not to who sells it?

not if its a grey import

generally for a camera the warranty is vald in the country the camera should have been destined for

europe, us, japan etc

Canon has an international warranty on lenses but a regional warranty on bodies. If you bought a camera in USA and it goes wrong, you have to send it back to USA to be dealt with there.

Obviously there is extra cost involved with sending it back but if the initial saving is good enough its worth considering.

The problems with a "sellers warranty" is that its only any good while the seller is around. Can you guarantee some Ebay'er offering this will be?

Personally while I may not pay a huge premium for an official warranty, I would steer clear of anyone offering a "sellers warranty" as it will be a Grey Import, and sellers come and go. Or de-register and come back with a new user name.

For safety and peace of mind, I would go for the Canon warranty with a UK body.

I hadn't thought about that in this current climate they could go bust tomorrow..

The worry is "in this current climate they could BOTH go bust tomorrow" :(

As has been said above I would get a UK body and not a grey import, nothing may go wrong, but think of the hassle if you'd got an early 1D mkIII on import and had to send it back and fro to the another country to get it sorted. :eek:

Back