Is micro$oft reverting to type?

Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
Years ago, as I'm sure many of you remember, very few programs that weren't micro$oft designed, just were not compatible, with windows.
I prefer Firefox on my W11 laptop over M$ edge.
M$ is now blocking all other browsers. ( well FF anyway, it won't open, download or repair, I've not tried any others as yet)

When I run CC cleaner it tells me that edge needs to be closed, before scanning.
Even though I know it's not open, well it's not showing as open on the task bar.
It ( CC) tries to close it, and finally asked if I want to force it to close. Of course, I say yes.

It appears that edge does not have the market share of browsers at the moment, I guess this is their attempt to do so, just like years gone by :(

I'm stuck on W10, with no particular inclination to upgrade. CC Cleaner does that to me as well. As for other browsers I also run Firefox, and I can't say I've noticed any issues.

I use Google on everything and I am still W10 (bar the Chromebook) and no issues yet. My work laptop does keep running stupid updates (W10) and knocking my server access out. I keep calling my IT team who put it right, but every time there is an update it goes again.

Years ago, as I'm sure many of you remember, very few programs that weren't micro$oft designed, just were not compatible, with windows.
M$ is now blocking all other browsers. ( well FF anyway, it won't open, download or repair, I've not tried any others as yet)

When I run CC cleaner it tells me that edge needs to be closed, before scanning.
Even though I know it's not open, well it's not showing as open on the task bar.
It ( CC) tries to close it, and finally asked if I want to force it to close. Of course, I say yes.

It appears that edge does not have the market share of browsers at the moment, I guess this is their attempt to do so, just like years gone by :(

I'm sure this is a fault - Microsoft would be absolutely crucified if they tried to pull a stunt like that now, and TBH I've never known a time when a windows PC wouldn't run everything made for it.

When was the last time it was properly restarted instead of just shut down and started up? Give it 2 restarts & try again.

Last edited:
I’m running FF with no problem, on three PC’s?

Reactions: 4wd
It's fine here on 10 and 11, I would uninstall firefox and download fresh copy, if you know your log-in details everything will come back up.

Reactions: RIR
I'm sure this is a fault - Microsoft would be absolutely crucified if they tried to pull a stunt like that now, and TBH I've never known a time when a windows PC wouldn't run everything made for it.

When was the last time it was properly restarted instead of just shut down and started up? Give it 2 restarts & try again.
The problem started after the last update, and re-starts.
I get this when I search for FF
There's no need to download a new web browser.
Microsoft recommends using Microsoft Edge for a fast, secure, and modern web experience that can help save you time and money.

There is also a lot of discussion on the web, about this, happening.

It's fine here on 10 and 11, I would uninstall firefox and download fresh copy
I tried that, it gets blocked, I can't run the installer.
I bought a W10 laptop, some months ago, after each update it became a little more W11. It is now fully 11 and I didn't ask for it.

It's not going to be the same profile though - the profile is per user per PC.

AF's point about S mode is very good - you'll just need to ask mummy and daddy if they will unlock your machine for you. ;)

AF's point about S mode is very good - you'll just need to ask mummy and daddy if they will unlock your machine for you. ;)
:LOL: it came with S mode, it's the first thing I got rid of.
But actually your 2 restarts did the trick Thanks :)

But actually your 2 restarts did the trick Thanks :)

My pleasure - while it shouldn't be necessary, a double re-start seems essential for getting all caches cleared and a clean boot, even though you may have the 'fast start' option switched off.

I run Brave bowser ever since Youtube tried to insist I watched long seconds of adverts before I got to my stream; Brave cuts all that out. Works well too. Certainly never had a problem with MS and non-MS browsers.

Brave cuts all that out. Works well too.
I have used brave in the past, but I wasn't over enthralled with it.
But I do have a decent ad blocker which seems to work on YouTube and Facebook, reasonably well

If using Win 11 please try the following:

Hold down the the following keys on your keyboard together: Ctrl+Shift+Esc

This should have opened task manager.
Under processes look for any instances of Edge running

If you find any highlight/click on them, then with them still highlighted click on End Task (top right of the task manager window)

In task manager now click on startup apps

Under startup apps look for any instances of Edge

If you find any highlight/click on them, then with them still highlighted click on Disable (top right of the task manager window)

Close down task manager and re-start your computer

Hope this was of some help

I have used brave in the past, but I wasn't over enthralled with it.
But I do have a decent ad blocker which seems to work on YouTube and Facebook, reasonably well
I use ad blockers as well, but farcebook slows down to a crawl sometimes, I'm sure it is intentional.
I also find their "sponsored" posts keep coming in bursts, when they do, I spend a couple of days blocking all adverts from the same advertiser, then I don't have the sponsored posts for a few weeks.
I only use farcebook to keep in contact with family overseas, and only use it in a container

Adolf would be smiling at the way these companies follow his ways.

If using Win 11 please try the following:

Hold down the the following keys on your keyboard together: Ctrl+Shift+Esc

This should have opened task manager.
Under processes look for any instances of Edge running

If you find any highlight/click on them, then with them still highlighted click on End Task (top right of the task manager window)

In task manager now click on startup apps

Under startup apps look for any instances of Edge

If you find any highlight/click on them, then with them still highlighted click on Disable (top right of the task manager window)

Close down task manager and re-start your computer

Hope this was of some help
Thanks I appreciate the step by step reply ( yes I am a Dinosaur :D )

I use ad blockers as well, but farcebook slows down to a crawl sometimes, I'm sure it is intentional.
TBH I'd not noticed any slowing down, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I also find their "sponsored" posts keep coming in bursts,
Yes they are a PITA aren't they and I do the same as you.

I also find their "sponsored" posts keep coming in bursts, when they do, I spend a couple of days blocking all adverts from the same advertiser, then I don't have the sponsored posts for a few weeks.

The plugin so powerful that if you mention it on FB your post gets deleted.......

FF is garbage, use google chrome much better, also use google synch across devices, sweet as

My experience is that Chrome is more like a virus when you try to remove it. And I also resent other applications trying to install it.
I have several browsers in my shortcuts.

Each has different strengths and weaknesses, so I use the appropriate one for each job. It's simply silly to say that any of the current browsers is, in general, good or bad.

Last edited:
There's an article on The Register about Edge popping up a comment when a user downloads Chrome, that Edge is built on Chrome but with the extra trust of coming from Microsoft. ;)

Regarding browsers, anything but Chrome for me. It's a combination of dislike of the style and layout plus reporting back to the evil empire.

Definitely a fault. Microsoft would be crucified by the courts in the EU for such uncompetitive behaviour - back in 2007, Microsoft was even forced to offer alternative web browsers when installing Windows to avoid massive fines from the EU.

Definitely a fault.
I have my answer now, in the thread, but if you google it, there are plenty of people saying the same.
Which led me to believe that maybe the case.

what I particularly love is Win10 not allowing me to set Thunderbird as my default mail app,
That's curious, Thunderbird is my mail client of choice on W11
Maybe because its the only one installed?

glad to hear you got it resolved!

what I particularly love is Win10 not allowing me to set Thunderbird as my default mail app, even if I do, when I click on a file and Send To > Mail Recipient, it gives me an error saying no app is associated with email, when in reality it is...

Personally, I'm leaving WinDoh's quite soon, going over to Linux Mint...
I had Thunderbird as my default mail app on Win 10 fro several years, but have since switched to Outlook (as that was what I used at work, and it was simpler just to have 1 email client to learn the eccentricities of!)

The default Mail app keeps overwriting my preferences..
We don't have that problem. My wife only uses TB and complains like hell if she gets any unexpected messages so I know that's not happening. And I use on my second laptop as I don't need Office on it and, again, haven't seen that behaviour.

Just got a new laptop today and out of the box I installed 2 browsers, no issues at all (though Win 11 takes some getting used to)

Definitely a fault. Microsoft would be crucified by the courts in the EU for such uncompetitive behaviour - back in 2007, Microsoft was even forced to offer alternative web browsers when installing Windows to avoid massive fines from the EU.

It's curious looking back that such action was taken against Microsoft yet now Apple not only have their own default browser but don't allow you to use a different one although there's rumours that finally may be changing.

It's curious looking back that such action was taken against Microsoft yet now Apple not only have their own default browser but don't allow you to use a different one although there's rumours that finally may be changing.
I use Chrome on my Apple devices and always have. Also have the choice of FF, Opera or Duck Duck Go

I use Chrome on my Apple devices and always have. Also have the choice of FF, Opera or Duck Duck Go

AFAIK all browsers on the apple platform MUST use the Apple webkit browser engine:

"Currently, third-party web browsers, including ones like Chrome from Alphabet Inc.'s Google, are required to use WebKit, Apple's Safari browsing engine," wrote Gurman. "Under the plan to meet the new law, Apple is considering removing that mandate."

www.macrumors.com/2022/12/14/apple-considering-non-webkit-iphone-browsers/

Back