Beginner Is my interpretation of RAW correct?

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, I have been starting to read & learn to shoot RAW images & post processing and want to ask if my below interpretation of what I think s the case with RAW / post processing & why I should be using them is correct?

A RAW file is actually a true representation of the image your taking, i.e. the image (file) is actually the true representation of the colours, shadows, highlights ect of what I would see by eye & that the post processing is all about just sharpening the edges & vibrance/contrast ect... And then doing some localised processing to sort out any whites/blacks/shadow/highlights issues that may be present, but trying to do it in a better way than the camera would with its own processed jpeg version of the image. And then essentially when processing the RAW image, ensuring that I dont play too much with the main subject & over do things to ensure the image still looks true to life but withought any imperfections. (Unless of course your trying to use post editing to create a creative shot).

Hope my understanding is okay,

Many thanks in advance,
Joe

Last edited:
Nope, not at all. A RAW file is not an image. It is the complete raw, unprocessed data as captured by the camera.

That data then has to be processed to give you an image.

A RAW file requires far more processing than a Jpeg to turn it into a decent photograph because otherwise it is likely to be a flat, bland image.

Nope, not at all. A RAW file is not an image. It is the complete raw, unprocessed data as captured by the camera.

That data then has to be processed to give you an image.

A RAW file requires far more processing than a Jpeg to turn it into a decent photograph because otherwise it is likely to be a flat, bland image.

Ahh okay, thank you for your advice. Hopefully some more learning & trial will help :)

The raw file that you can see, has already been processed in to an image file by the software, taking into account the settings that were made on your camera.
But all the data that was there when the image was capture is in the file and still able to be called into use. So you are able to completely change the interpretation to one that suites you and your idea of how the image should look.

When you have finished you are able to export the selected data as an image file JPEG TIFF etc.
But the raw file. Remains unaltered, but now also records changes that you made in a side car file.

That raw file can be revisited at any time and you are can either have a fresh attempt from scratch, by discarding the side car file or return to where you left off by retaining it.

Last edited:
The raw file that you can see, has already been processed in to an image file by the software, taking into account the settings that were made on your camera.
But all the data that was there when the image was capture is in the file and still able to be called into use. So you are able to completely change the interpretation to one that suites you and your idea of how the image should look.

When you have finished you are able to export the selected data as an image file JPEG TIFF etc.
But the raw file. Remains unaltered, but now also records changes that you made in a side car file.

That raw file can be revisited at any time and you are can either have a fresh attempt from scratch, by discarding the side car file or return to where you left off by retaining it.

Thank you, for this. Very understandable and helpful and I can see now what the RAW file truly is.. Its all about being able to make the image how I feel it should be.

So I think trial & error and practice will be the key!

Thanks again :)

A RAW file is a plate of raw beef, potatoes, veg, gravy granules, flour, eggs, milk and other ingredients. All the bits that make a tasty meal, but as it stands somewhat unappetising and requires cooking in order to turn it from something inedible into something delicious. As with cooking there are lots of styles which makes one chefs version of a meal different to the next.

I would say you are not far off, the sensor in your camera is made up of millions of little sensors (photosites) that record brightness for one of 3 colours. The RAW file is a record of these brightness values for each photosite. So you are right that it is a true representation of what you camera captured, the thing it lacks is what is known as a colour space and without that a computer, printer or any other device doesn't know how to interpret the RAW values into colours that can be displayed. So to view a RAW it has to go through some sort of conversion before it can be viewed.

The big advantage of RAW is because the data has had nothing done to it you can change an awful lot of things after the image has been captured, the obvious one being the white balance without loosing any information that was captured by the sensor. Generally a RAW with nothing but a standard colour space applied looks quite flat and lifeless and that is where post processing comes in.

Thank again for all your comments & advice. Very helpful & much appreciated.

Back