Is my olympus trip still alive?

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there i found an olympus trip in my old stuff, i remember buying it of ebay a couple of years ago but never got round to using it. Is there a way of knowing if it will work with out putting a film in it. If i'm right there's no battery so how do you know if the camera is dead are not.I remember reading somewhere about a red flag in the screen to do with the exposure would this only be seem if there was a film in? Can any one help cheers gary

Its many years since I used a Trip but if I remember rightly if you cover the selenium cell to fool it into thinking its dark the red flag comes up to say you need flash,apart from that if you open the back and look at differing light sources as you fire the shutter you should see the aperture vary in size as it fires,if that is ok my bet is that it will work ok

The meter will function with a film in it or not. The red flag pops up into the viewfinder when there's insufficient light and also prevents the shutter from firing. It has no battery. There are only two shutter speeds on a Trip 35, so if you vary the light half pressing the shutter should show various aperture sizes.

To be honest, best thing to do is shoot a roll, get it developed and scanned to a CD at Tesco (about £2) and have a look.

The meter will function with a film in it or not. The red flag pops up into the viewfinder when there's insufficient light and also prevents the shutter from firing. It has no battery. There are only two shutter speeds on a Trip 35, so if you vary the light half pressing the shutter should show various aperture sizes.

To be honest, best thing to do is shoot a roll, get it developed and scanned to a CD at Tesco (about £2) and have a look.

+1

Just take some random shots in various light to check the exposures are good and you have no light leaks etc. but make sure you check the negatives rather than the prints/cd as the auto exposure of the printer will make things look 'ok'.

If it's too dark the little red flag will pop-up and stop you taking a picture.

Make sure you put the camera in 'A' mode (I left mine on f/2.8 once...:bonk:)

I've got three Trip 35's (it's an addiction:nuts:) and they all meter fine, but one has a fault with the red flag. I believe there's a mechanical link which lifts the flag into the viewfinder and prevents the shutter from firing. On the one I've got, the flag doesn't come up and the shutter fires. Still a useable camera, but just have to make sure that I take shots within the 'expected' exposure range.

Back