Is Panamoz "back"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
I ordered my 5D3 from Panamoz last year and was really happy with the service. The site was receiving great feedback at the time also.

It seemed as though earlier this year that their prices spiked up almost overnight to levels that would no longer make it viable to purchase from them. I read a few things here and there basically eluding to the fact that they had maybe been caught out with whatever import duty loophole they were using.

I checked them again last month before ordering my 70-200mm and all was the same. Expensive.

Anyhow having checked their site this week, the prices seem back down to the level they used to be (pretty much cheapest online for most photog items). So I was wondering does anyone know if its back to "business as usual" with the site?

I ordered my 5D3 from Panamoz last year and was really happy with the service. The site was receiving great feedback at the time also.

It seemed as though earlier this year that their prices spiked up almost overnight to levels that would no longer make it viable to purchase from them. I read a few things here and there basically eluding to the fact that they had maybe been caught out with whatever import duty loophole they were using.

I checked them again last month before ordering my 70-200mm and all was the same. Expensive.

Anyhow having checked their site this week, the prices seem back down to the level they used to be (pretty much cheapest online for most photog items). So I was wondering does anyone know if its back to "business as usual" with the site?

They may have come down a bit but still a way to go yet before they were as cheap as they were at their height.

They may have come down a bit but still a way to go yet before they were as cheap as they were at their height.

True, but they're currently ~£100 cheaper than DigitalRev for a 5D3 body. Worth keeping an eye on as I'll be looking for a 70D when they're released.

Yeah, i'm tempted to purchase a 6d via BT but am a little worried as the forums have gone cold over the Panamoz hype. I know their prices spiked not too long back and have now fallen back down but would like to hear from anyone with a recent experience.

I looked the other day seems they are but lens prices are still silly ??

I bought a new phone from Amazon at what is a great price for the UK but didn't think to check Panamoz this time, could have saved another ~£60. C'est La Vie...

I looked the other day seems they are but lens prices are still silly ??

Oh...if you consider their prices silly then you must know where they are much cheaper, where would that be ??.

I bought a new phone from Amazon at what is a great price for the UK but didn't think to check Panamoz this time, could have saved another ~£60. C'est La Vie...

Could be tricky buying an imported phone as I have read stories about them not being able to accept updates from this region.

Yeah, i'm tempted to purchase a 6d via BT but am a little worried as the forums have gone cold over the Panamoz hype. I know their prices spiked not too long back and have now fallen back down but would like to hear from anyone with a recent experience.

I have been noting their prices for a few weeks now since they came back down and would have no hesitation in buying from them again.

No I am NOT affiliated to them :D

pretty much anywhere

example http://panamoz.com/index.php/lens/olympus/olympus-m-zuiko-digital-ed-14-150mm-f-4-0-5-6-lens.html £709

any uk dealer with uk stock approx. £400

Bristol camera £369 delivered http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/shopping_cart.php

their m43 lens prices are ridiculous

I could quote quite a few prices that are a lot cheaper than UK suppliers and import suppliers so what you really meant was "some" of their lens prices are silly but not all. ;)

Last edited:
I could quote quite a few prices that are a lot cheaper than UK suppliers and import suppliers so what you really meant was "some" of their lens prices are silly but not all. ;)

Pretty much every m43 lens is way over the top

As for canon nikon etc I don't have the foggiest what they cost

I've used panamoz quite a few times always good I'll definatley use them if the saving there

As I said it appears there prices are coming back to normal levels but lenses especially M43 are way dearer than many uk suppliers

Having said that many hk suppliers seemfairly expensive for CSC lenses in general

Could be tricky buying an imported phone as I have read stories about them not being able to accept updates from this region.

The HTC I bought was 'Indian' with English as the first language and it takes the Indian region Android updates happily, but I do agree you need to be willing to take what comes in the hope that it suits or be able to change the rom (if it's Android).

The HTC I bought was 'Indian' with English as the first language and it takes the Indian region Android updates happily, but I do agree you need to be willing to take what comes in the hope that it suits or be able to change the rom (if it's Android).

I had the choice of an HTC one from Amazon or Carphone Warehouse, pleased I chose the latter now for a few pounds more.

My latest device is a Samsung Galaxy Mega bought from Amazon, proper UK spec and sim free for about £100 less than cpw. Panamoz would have been another £50 cheaper.

I gather then that if you buy a lens from Panamoz, despite offering a UK warranty, you cannot use the current Canon Cashback offers?

I gather then that if you buy a lens from Panamoz, despite offering a UK warranty, you cannot use the current Canon Cashback offers?

I would suggest asking Canon UK if they would offer warranty service on a lens sourced from Hong Kong, the current EU Warranty terms say they don't.

http://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/Imaging_EWS_warranty.aspx
To obtain warranty service
Warranty service is available in the authorized Canon service centres.
Any costs of secure transportation of the product to and from the Canon service centre will be borne by the customer.

If the product is brought into a country which is not covered by EWS and which does not accept the warranty card, the product must be returned to the country where it was purchased in order to benefit from the warranty.
EWS Countries

You are correct in them not accepting HK stock for cashback offers.

Last edited:
Dave, Many thanks for the info, seems like false advertising from Panamoz.

I've actually just emailed them to ask why their prices are so high - their M43 lenses are almost twice the cost of even UK versions..

Cashback claims require a UK VAT invoice.

it advertises on the web site 'uk warranty'

Clever play on words, allegedly if it goes wrong it can be fixed in the UK and the grey retailer will refund the repair cost. Just as long as the HK retailer is still in business and agrees to the repair.

It isn't a warranty as most people perceive one to be.

Same old argument, Canon or Nikon could go out of business too, just less likely

Same old argument, Canon or Nikon could go out of business too, just less likely

Wow, that's pushing it, individual small retailers go out of business on a daily basis, when was the last time a camera manufacturer went out of business and customers lost manufacturer warranty?

No idea, just staying nothing in stone.

Good point, best get some tin foil ;)

So has anyone used Panamoz in recent weeks? Are they back up to scratch? Their 70D is very attractively priced at £741!

So has anyone used Panamoz in recent weeks? Are they back up to scratch? Their 70D is very attractively priced at £741!

That is a very tempting price! Anyone willing to risk it and let us know if things go smoothly?

I don't think I would risk the BT option, £741 is a good price for that camera, question is do I go crazy and abuse my credit card or wait a few months for prices to come down to sensible levels, and then abuse my credit card.

Well its over a grand at warehouse express and others...

It's £900 at Digital Rev...

This does seem cheap..

I don't think I would risk the BT option, £741 is a good price for that camera, question is do I go crazy and abuse my credit card or wait a few months for prices to come down to sensible levels, and then abuse my credit card.

I'm struggling to control myself. I'm hoping prices come down around Xmas time but £741 is very tempting.

Well they are 'active' - someone has recently left a review from buying a 6D...

I'm struggling to control myself. I'm hoping prices come down around Xmas time but £741 is very tempting.

Just be careful, if its too good to be true ....

Also consider the info from the DR thread

Well another phone call to DHL and they confirmed that customs currently are cracking down and that they have a huge backlog of electronic equipment that is awaiting clearance and it could be upto a month before it get's cleared for delivery.

So budget as if you will get caught trying to evade the tax, and have the admin charges, import tax and duty (if applicable) set aside in case you are caught.

Might also be worth factoring in the possible delivery delay if Customs do catch you.

You can work out the import tax and duty at http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

Unfortunately it won't include any admin fees or charges.

Last edited:
Just be careful, if its too good to be true ....

Also consider the info from the DR thread

So budget as if you will get caught trying to evade the tax, and have the admin charges, import tax and duty (if applicable) set aside in case you are caught.

Might also be worth factoring in the possible delivery delay if Customs do catch you.

You can work out the import tax and duty at http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

Unfortunately it won't include any admin fees or charges.

You are of course correct to point the above out.. and I respect your position on the matter..

Reality though is that these shipments are coming through daily without issue from the HK suppliers...

You're right in that there is a 'risk' - but the risk is currently small..

When money is tight (and I mean tight!) you have to balance the risk with the potential saving...

For some people - buying from HK is the best thing for them. For others, buying from a UK supplier is preferable...

There will always be people on both sides of the coin...

There will always be customers who choose the option best suited to their personal circumstances, and their buyer requirements...

The HK suppliers always recompense if fees are charged.. I'm not saying it's right or wrong - but that's the way it is at the moment.

Reality though is that these shipments are coming through daily without issue from the HK suppliers...

You're right in that there is a 'risk' - but the risk is currently small..

That was the point of my post.

Notice what Horney has been told. While it might have been a small risk, it appears that things are changing:

Well another phone call to DHL and they confirmed that customs currently are cracking down and that they have a huge backlog

The HK suppliers always recompense if fees are charged.. I'm not saying it's right or wrong - but that's the way it is at the moment.

No, they don't. Other than the DR "promise", the HK retailers state in their T&Cs that tax, duty or penalty is the problem of the buyer.

Last edited:
I suspect nothing new will come out of this recurring argument (see almost every thread about every HK trader).

Would be interesting to see if things have changed with them - they had a very good rep and their BT was used and trusted.

BTW I suspect not every HK trader is the same, much as every UK trader is not the same - obviously I don't know for sure but distrusting them just because they're based in HK seems a little off to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back