Is PAT testing required.

Edit My Images
Yes
We have a LNIB, 4.5 year old, 46" Panasonic Full HD/3D TV with glasses, indistinguishable from new.

SWMBO and I fancy a 50"/55" 4K model.

If I stick a card in me local SPA window, does the TV need PAT testing?

TIA

Last edited:
Not sure what a local SPA window is so ....

As for PAT testing, if the item is for use in a public place then the best advice is to have it PAT tested, if you intend to sell it privately then no, you don't need a PAT test.

YES it is, if your working in a public area..... Got the T shirt Etc

No it isn't.

The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 require that any electrical equipment that has the potential to cause injury is maintained in a safe condition. However, the Regulations do not specify what needs to be done, by whom or how frequently (ie they don't make inspection or testing of electrical appliances a legal requirement, nor do they make it a legal requirement to undertake this annually).

HSE

YES it is, if your working in a public area..... Got the T shirt Etc

No it isn't

http://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/faq-portable-appliance-testing.htm
The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 require that any electrical equipment that has the potential to cause injury is maintained in a safe condition. However, the Regulations do not specify what needs to be done, by whom or how frequently (ie they don't make inspection or testing of electrical appliances a legal requirement, nor do they make it a legal requirement to undertake this annually).

And...
The law simply requires an employer to ensure that their electrical equipment is maintained in order to prevent danger. It does not say how this should be done or how often. Employers should take a risk-based approach, considering the type of equipment and what it is being used for. If it is used regularly and moved a lot e.g. a floor cleaner or a kettle, testing (along with visual checks) can be an important part of an effective maintenance regime giving employers confidence that they are doing what is necessary to help them meet their legal duties. HSE provides guidance on how to maintain equipment including the use of PAT.

Whilst you have a duty of care to ensure that equipment is safe, the HSE do not state how or when.

Steve.

Last edited:
It's like an MOT. Not a guarantee of safety, just proves that it passed the test on the day of testing.

Steve.

I stand corrected. It is NOT a legal requirement but some insurances insist on the test.

You can't do a PAT test on a double insulated device unless it has exposed metal parts so you probably couldn't test the TV anyway (a visual check is about all you can do)

You can't do a PAT test on a double insulated device unless it has exposed metal parts so you probably couldn't test the TV anyway (a visual check is about all you can do)

Um, like a class 2 device? My PAT testing machine has a special button just for those...... It does an insulation resistance test.

We kept getting pestered when we had kennels from firms saying we should have our portable electrical equipment PAT tested. From what I understand it was not compulsory and if had done was for staff safety, not the owners, if they used it. Just like having to put up no smoking signs and dedicated smoking areas it was I think just to provide jobs to keep unemployment numbers down , the same as having to have energy testing for homes to keep ex estate agents busy during the recession.

As a by the by we are told we must have a qualified electrician to carry out electrical work according to the IEE regs. However under health and safety it, I again believe, it mentions something about if competant you can do your own electrical installation work then get it inspected and passed. In other word one so called authority says one thing and another something entirely different.
having done a 5 yr apprenticeship in electro/mechanical engineering ( too long ago now to even think about ) I just can't see anyone being fully qualified in just a few months as is the case now.

Last edited:
We kept getting pestered when we had kennels from firms saying we should have our portable electrical equipment PAT tested. From what I understand it was not compulsory and if had done was for staff safety, not the owners, if they used it. Just like having to put up no smoking signs and dedicated smoking areas it was I think just to provide jobs to keep unemployment numbers down , the same as having to have energy testing for homes to keep ex estate agents busy during the recession.

As a by the by we are told we must have a qualified electrician to carry out electrical work according to the IEE regs. However under health and safety it, I again believe, it mentions something about if competant you can do your own electrical installation work then get it inspected and passed. In other word one so called authority says one thing and another something entirely different.
having done a 5 yr apprenticeship in electro/mechanical engineering ( too long ago now to even think about ) I just can't see anyone being fully qualified in just a few months as is the case now.

The NIC/EIC seem to love telling people that "only properly qualified electricians" can do pretty much all work. And you can see why - after all it's their members who pick up the work. But "properly qualified" often means "knows which colour wire is which".

Just to be pedantic. it's not a PAT test. The T stands for test so it can't be a portable appliance test test... unless you're testing the testing machine!

Well, the machines "need" testing every year...... ;)

Just to be pedantic. it's not a PAT test. The T stands for test so it can't be a portable appliance test test... unless you're testing the testing machine!

Steve.

PIN Number, Scuba Gear, argh!

Last edited:
All classic examples of RAS Syndrome...

(You'd better believe that Redundant Acronym Syndrome Syndrome is a thing!)

I stand corrected. It is NOT a legal requirement but some insurances insist on the test.

They make the law up as they go! Time and time again insurance companies make up whatever they feel suits them, gets on my teets. I was placed in a similar situation where the insurance company quoted this and that, when presented with the "Actual Law" they backed down and payed what my client was owed!

Back