Is Sam's Lab Still In Business?

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm interested to know if Sam's Photographic Lab in Laurencekirk is still in business?

I sent the lab two orders on 13th January, and I still haven't received them. They deducted the money from my credit card at the time I uploaded the orders, and despite numerous emails they have only responded to one of them (2nd Feb) to say my order would be despatched that day by recorded delivery. It's now 21st Feb, and I still don't have the prints I ordered. I've had no further responses from my emails, and I never get an answer when I phone the lab.

I'm exasperated at the lack of communications - and the lack of prints, and left wondering if that lab is still in business.

I would be interested to know if anyone has heard anything.

Thanks

I've definitely had orders dispatched within that time so I suspect its an error.

Hi Mark - thanks for your post. At least it's reassuring to know they are still trading. I mentioned above - have called countless times, but never get an answer. I only posted here as a last resort after having tried pretty much everything except turn up on their doorstep.

I can accept an error - but I'm finding it difficult to accept the complete disregard for any of my communications. I find the whole episode completely disrespectful.

I had the same issue with them. 1st order I put through them, prints took 10 days to arrive and were the wrong size/orientation. No response to emails/phone to answer machine.

Never used them again and now rely on DSCL who in 2 years have never made a mistake - not once.

Had the same issue, did have a couple of replacement orders sent immediately but chased and chased on an important job... calls not answered, calls then not returned, emails not returned etc...

DSCL are very reliable.

i've used them several times and the turnaround has always been spot on.

There is a member of the forums from them so im sure he will be along to help.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/member.php?u=23103

he logged in to TP an hour ago...

For the record, it's threads like this (and there have been quite a few!) that are why I've never tried Sam's lab, even though I'm told that their prints are better than DSCL.

Every time I've ordered from DSCL (which is many - probably a thousand prints in the last year alone), I've had my prints the next morning, perfect and well packaged. When you see Sam's ignoring customers asking where their prints are - as a professional, with clients waiting for prints, they're just completely alienating their customerbase.

Last edited:
I've used them in the past too, semi regularly, but as you can see from my note above, something has clearly gone wrong and I'm being completely ignored by Sam's Lab.

Personally, I don't think that adopting a non-communicative policy is prudent for any business looking for repeat custom. In fact, it's completely disrespectful given that the money was deducted from my credit card at the time I uploaded the orders.

I've tried again, twice, this afternoon to call the lab on the number below, and again it just keeps ringing out.

I've had enough. I'm just off the phone to Barclaycard and asked them to refund the transactions. It's unfortunate, because Sam's Lab will now have to pay Barclaycard an administration fee for this. I would have been a very patient customer if they had just taken the bother to communicate with me. If they'd lost my order, I'd have been sympathetic to that.

Dave Clark of Sam's Photo Lab in Laurencekirk, for taking my money, ignoring my communications and failure to deliver - you are a rogue! Named and shamed!

i've used them several times and the turnaround has always been spot on.

There is a member of the forums from them so im sure he will be along to help.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/member.php?u=23103

he logged in to TP an hour ago...

For the record, it's threads like this (and there have been quite a few!) that are why I've never tried Sam's lab, even though I'm told that their prints are better than DSCL.

Every time I've ordered from DSCL (which is many - probably a thousand prints in the last year alone), I've had my prints the next morning, perfect and well packaged. When you see Sam's ignoring customers asking where their prints are - as a professional, with clients waiting for prints, they're just completely alienating their customerbase.

Never used Dave before. Seen one other thread like this, (Believe he had staff shortages at the time?), didn't realise there were quite a few?. When I was on the SWPP forum he had loads of praises. I hope he has responded and sorted your complaint.

Never used Dave before. Seen one other thread like this, (Believe he had staff shortages at the time?), didn't realise there were quite a few?. When I was on the SWPP forum he had loads of praises. I hope he has responded and sorted your complaint.

No, I still haven't heard anything, despite the fact his TP login stats show he's been on here quite frequently.

We all have the capability of messing up - it's how you deal with your mistakes that's important.

I'm unfortunate enough to have placed an order with this company too. They took my money and three weeks after the order ive still got nothing and no response to any of my emails. My order was time critical too.

Think im going to have to contact my credit card company and try and get my money back :(

Ive got to say that the fact the guy who owns this has been active on this forum recently and still isn't responding to customer emails is disgraceful.:thumbsdown:

I'm unfortunate enough to have placed an order with this company too. They took my money and three weeks after the order ive still got nothing and no response to any of my emails. My order was time critical too.

Think im going to have to contact my credit card company and try and get my money back :(

Ive got to say that the fact the guy who owns this has been active on this forum recently and still isn't responding to customer emails is disgraceful.:thumbsdown:

It's disgraceful and highly disrespectful.

In stark contrast, I went with one of the TP member's recommendations (itsdavedotnet) to use DS Colour Labs (DSCL). I uploaded an order of 70 prints on Wednesday night (10pm). Within 18hrs of my upload I had received 3 emails at different intervals, and left feeling my order was as important to them as the prints are to me.

The first email was an automated message confirming my order, with exact details of my order. The second email was a personal one from their lab manager, again, with details of my order - but also reassuring me he was personally dealing with it. The third email was half way through yesterday afternoon explaining my order was complete and would be despatched immediately.

I have no idea what the prints are like, but they've got the customer service side of their business well and truly sorted. I feel like I'm in capable hands (y)

Sadly there isn't much we can do as a forum (as far as I am aware). He isn't an advertiser on the forums and the sales weren't made through the forums. David just happens to be a member here!

Sadly there isn't much we can do as a forum (as far as I am aware). He isn't an advertiser on the forums and the sales weren't made through the forums. David just happens to be a member here!

There's no expectation on my part for the forum to do anything proactively about this. I think it's enough that other forum members are aware of the issues that I and other forum members have had with this lab, and make their own decisions based on these experiences.

I'm really glad I posted this here, as I'm now aware of another lab other members have used with a high level of satisfaction.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to share their experiences - positive and negative.

There's no expectation on my part for the forum to do anything proactively about this. I think it's enough that other forum members are aware of the issues that I and other forum members have had with this lab, and make their own decisions based on these experiences.

I'm really glad I posted this here, as I'm now aware of another lab other members have used with a high level of satisfaction.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to share their experiences - positive and negative.

No problem, that's why we're all here, to help each other :)
(Tom was replying to a report we'd received asking us why we hadn't done anything ;))

Ironically I decided to use DSCL instead of Sams (my usual supplier) after reading the thread here as I've not placed any orders for a while..

Guess what! I ordered last Monday night. First of all the order didn't go through despite my credit card being charged due to a bug with their software. Then I ordered again and it was apparently shipped on Wednesday. It was a time critical order and the postman has been today (Monday) and STILL no sign of it - it should have been here on Thursday.

According to DSCL they're not interested until the parcel has been missing for pretty much eternity, and even then they don't refund, you just have to pay to get it printed again "at a discount". This was an order for a friend who already had a hefty discount from me so the tiny profit I was making has pretty much gone.

I think I'd have done better sticking with Sams. Not impressed with DSCL if this is what happens on my first order :-( :-( I'm aware it might just be bad luck, but.. *sigh*

Loxley it is next time, sod the premium. At least they're reliable!

You say that.. I emailed them first thing this morning and haven't heard back yet! Not that I was expecting an immediate reply as it's only been one working day so far, but given I'm already looking bad in front of my customer I'm probably a bit more impatient than usual!

When I have had an issue with dscl it has been sorted straight away although that's for damaged prints.

I once posted something 20 miles first class recorded and it took a week to get there so to b fair it could b the post at fault here.

You say that.. I emailed them first thing this morning and haven't heard back yet! Not that I was expecting an immediate reply as it's only been one working day so far, but given I'm already looking bad in front of my customer I'm probably a bit more impatient than usual!

I feel for anyone who's had their money taken from them, and not received the goods. However, DSCL's terms and conditions are stated quite clearly on their website. It sounds like you've been let down by the postal service, not DSCL.

DSCL terms & conditions:
All of our orders are sent out 1st Class by Royal Mail at a cost of £3.25 minimum . However there is an option for Urgent orders to be sent by Special delivery. The cost for this is £9.99 minimum this is a guaranteed next day service before 1pm Weight of job under 2kg`s. The special delivery service also requires you to be available to sign for your order. InterLink courier Service NEXT DAY Monday-Friday from only £8.99 per order. Unfortunately we cannot be held responsible for delays and lost orders by the Royal Mail. If however after 30 days of your order being dispatched and has not been received we will reprint your order free of charge. This doesn't apply during any Postal Strikes or adverse weather conditions.
Unfortunately we cannot be held responsible for delays and lost orders !
None of the delivery methods are guaranteed or refundable.
Any Damaged prints will be sent out First class only and not as the delivery method originally selected.

Loxley look like they're a bit more relaxed about what constitutes a lost order (due to postal service):
Royal Mail do not offer a guaranteed delivery time on first class dispatches, although they do aim to deliver by the next working day. If a delivery has not arrived in this timescale, you may have to wait for a short period as the Royal Mail website states “Please wait 15 working days (from the due date of delivery) before completing this form (lost post claim form) as we would not consider an item as lost until 15 working days have elapsed”. The Loxley Colour customer service staff will help as much as possible in any such instance.

I had a look on Sam's Lab for their T&C's and found this:

Buyer Beware :rules:

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm sure it is just Royal Mail being crap, and hopefully not their fault. Just typical it should happen when I try a new supplier - Sams' prints never got lost in the post but I'm sure that's down to luck really!!

The order wasn't large enough (nor profitable enough) to justify courier delivery or I would have, so I took my usual chance with Royal Mail, who are normally reasonably reliable (I lose at most 1-2 packages a year) and law of sod I get a missing package with a customer order with a new supplier. I'd probably have been a little less grumpy had it not already been delayed by a day or two due to a bug with their system though.

Interestingly I read this on their site: " If however after 15 days of your order being dispatched and has not been received we will reprint your order at a reduced cost agreed by dscl and yourselves. " - this is at http://www.dscolourlabs.co.uk/postage_rates.cfm - so I will need to pay out again. Would have been cheaper to use a courier.. lesson learned.

Interestingly I read this on their site: " If however after 15 days of your order being dispatched and has not been received we will reprint your order at a reduced cost agreed by dscl and yourselves. " - this is at http://www.dscolourlabs.co.uk/postage_rates.cfm - so I will need to pay out again. Would have been cheaper to use a courier.. lesson learned.

I read that too. So DSL will re-print for free after 30 days, but if you want them after 15 days then there's a conversation to be had with them.

The prints finally showed up today.. no reply from DSCL to my email at all, and no postmark on the package so I have no idea if the parcel I received is one that was shipped last week, or one that was "oh whoops!" shipped yesterday after my email!

Still, I have the prints.. I can stop stressing :)

Not to take this too far off topic, but I have used DSCL maybe 7 or 8 times and email them once about an order, never heard back! Still use them, but doesn't seem to be much if any customer service via email :(

With all your bad 'luck' Martin, are you sure some of this is not user error?

I finally received my order from sams today, no responce to any of my emails still though, I certainly wont be using them again.

Hopefully the others still waiting for their prints will receive them soon too.

well seems i may also have fallen fowl of this problem with Sams, money taken from my account on the 6th March and no sign of my pictures, have emailed with no reply and there phone just rings and rings..

have used them in the past with no issues, wish i had seen this post before putting an order in as clearly they are not the company they used to be, taking money and running is theft in my book.

i will update if i get a reply or my pics show up....

well seems i may also have fallen fowl of this problem with Sams, money taken from my account on the 6th March and no sign of my pictures, have emailed with no reply and there phone just rings and rings..

have used them in the past with no issues, wish i had seen this post before putting an order in as clearly they are not the company they used to be, taking money and running is theft in my book.

i will update if i get a reply or my pics show up....

Sorry to hear of your issue. This is a place where Sam's Lab can intercept these issues and resolve them, but it doesn't look like they take the opportunity to turn these negatives around.

I don't believe there is any malicious intent from the Lab ... I just think they're disorganised and under resourced. That said, it's still not an excuse for taking people's money and not delivering.

I know a lot of people still use the Lab and never experience any issues. It seems that if your order falls off the production line or there are delivery issues, you're goosed.

Your order has only been "out there" for a week. I'd give it a bit more time and hope your prints turn up. If they haven't turned up after 3-4 weeks just go back to your credit card company and claim back.

yeah fingers crossed, its been about 10 days since i placed the order but they only took the money on the 6th when i would have thought they processed my order. wouldnt have been that worried but then i saw this thread and made me put 2 and 2 together..

the fact there ignoring several peoples emails and not answering there phone dosent help give me much confidence in them for any future orders even if my current order turns up..

to me anyone behaving like this can only be heading to self destruct there company, i came by this thread on google and not directly from the forum, so anyone that googles them is seeing this....

Last edited:
Disgraceful. No way to run a business. Mistakes happen but burying your head in the sand is not the answer. I hate to think how much business they will lose over this bad publicity. So glad I made the move to dscl.

well my pics turned up today, i have to say the quality is perfection so all's well that ends well

just a shame there seems to be a communication problem at the moment, really hope they can sort it out and get things back on track as when push comes to shove i do feel they can produce the goods..

cheers

Early in October after attempting to submit some images for printing several times and with email assistance from David Clark I eventually gave up trying and was assured by DC that my payment had not gone through - meaningless sagepay screen shots sent to me to "prove" this.

On checking my card statement on Monday this week I saw that I had in fact been charged and immediately attempted to contact Sams i.e. David Clark by telephone, no answer or answerphone, via email at two different Addresses, no answer, via his mobile as published on a bridal site, picked up after 4 rings but silence, via his 0800 number, discontinued.

I google street viewed the shop and found a lovely cafe next door, got their number and spoke toi a charming lady who confirmed that Clark is still trading. I didn't discuss anything with her at this stage.

Clark's no active longer on this forum, His SWPP membership is no longer, His 0800 number is no longer, All of his blogs and websites are out of date apart from Twitter, he's been galavanting around London earlier this week tweeting like a mad thing. His public facebook page currently has two clearly visible comments about his unreliability.

These are my observations and experiences and I've drawn my conclusion, I leave you to draw yours.

John Perkins 9-11-2012

Hmpf. Seems I'm the latest victim. Been waiting over a month now for a £60 order, no response to email or twitter.

I have 26 angry customers on me, and don't much fancy taking the financial hit of replacing the order elsewhere, but I'm left with very little choice :( Sad times, as Samslab output was excellent.

Back