Is the canon 70-200 f/4L a must have bit of kit

Since moving to FF I miss my 70-200 on crop I found it too long.

I guess a 70-200 2.8 will be on the cards at a point.

I had the 2.8 version for a while but found it too heavy (I get back trouble!), so I sold it and got the f4 non-IS and am very happy with it. I'm not a professional photographer and for what I do with it I can manage very happily with the 1 stop difference which for me is a small price to pay for the weight loss and easier handling. I've not noticed the image quality being any worse than the 2.8 lens I used to have.

A mate has the F4 and the 2.8. If you need the low light then 2.8. If you need the low weight then F4. Get both if budget allows!

I have an 85 prime that I love but its a prime and cant compare, the quality isnt as good as the 24-70 2.8 but then i wouldnt expect it to be, that is a non is as well but the quality is better.[/quote]

That's interesting about the 85mm. I heard that was a fantastic lens and just assumed it would be as good or better than the 70-200 2.8II in quality being a prime. I have shot almost every Canon 200mm and lower but never shot the 85. I think the focal length is why I haven't tried it.

I recently went to the Photography show at the NEC and with my budget (or lack of) I tried both the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 and the Canon 70-200 F4 - I have issues with my shoulder and neck and found the Sigma to be quite heavy but really want the F2.8 (The canon version is way out of my budget at the moment) I loved the feel of the Canon and I know that I can pick one of these up second hand quite cheaply but was wondering if it was worth saving a bit more and getting the Sigma - have any of you any advice on this?

The weight of the F4 is one of the reasons why I am erring on getting that one - I tried the Sigma equivalent at f2.8 and found it really heavy - don't think I could carry one around all day :-(

i have the sigma 70-300 apo and the canon 70-200 f4 non is and the canon kills it all day long with speed and iq

taken hand held on a windy day with a 70-200 f4L at 70 mm / 1/320 /f4/iso 400

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoochy1/12207756593/"

Last edited:
As another wanting a 70-200mm (still saving up) I'm going to go for the Tamron VC.

I did think about the Canon f4 (IS and not) but I know at some point I'll want f2.8 and I hate to buy twice.
If money was no object I'd buy the Canon f2.8 IS II, but for me it is and besides, photography is just my hobby.

The reviews on the Tamron look great and better than on the 24-70 VC. I have the latter already and love it.

Might be worth considering.

Just tried a 70-200 f2.8 the other weekend at Brands, and its lovely lens, but bloody heavy all day lol, couldnt believe how much bigger it was than my f4 non is version. Defiantly going to be saving up for one, sell my old camera and this f4 lens as well.

I recently went to the Photography show at the NEC and with my budget (or lack of) I tried both the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 and the Canon 70-200 F4 - I have issues with my shoulder and neck and found the Sigma to be quite heavy but really want the F2.8 (The canon version is way out of my budget at the moment) I loved the feel of the Canon and I know that I can pick one of these up second hand quite cheaply but was wondering if it was worth saving a bit more and getting the Sigma - have any of you any advice on this?
I tried out the canon 70-200 f4 is at the show aswell and found it very easy to get on with. Just trying to find one now for the right price!

I have definitely decided on the Canon F4 for now and will probably get the Sigma 2.8 if I find I use it and when budget allows :)

I love my F4, it's a great weight and on days with good lighting, it's fantastic and doesn't strain your wrists. I'd recommend buying an F4 if you don't definitely need the 2.8.

Yesterday I went out with my new 2.8mkii and my god, the weight difference is unbelievable. Just for the record, if you're unlucky enough to have rheumatoid arthritis (or a wrist injury) this lens is heavy enough to cause you some serious discomfort if you don't carefully hold the lens at all times. I'm considering taking my monopod with me, the next time I use it. RA was one of the more sucky presents I got for my 40th :( Also, I'm not getting on with IS, but I've only been out with the lens once so far, but it's a vastly different lens to use compared to the F4 I've found.

Last edited:
I use a f4 non is for weddings and general family shoots its a fantastic lens and a great piece of kit the biggest bonus for me is weight I'm using a 5d with battery grip and usually have a 580ex bolted on top as well and even as a sprightly 35yr old my hand and neck suffer after long days shooting . Paired with my 24-70 2.8L I only ever use these 2 lenses now my primes just gather dust

I use a f4 non is for weddings and general family shoots its a fantastic lens and a great piece of kit the biggest bonus for me is weight I'm using a 5d with battery grip and usually have a 580ex bolted on top as well and even as a sprightly 35yr old my hand and neck suffer after long days shooting . Paired with my 24-70 2.8L I only ever use these 2 lenses now my primes just gather dust

You're the opposite to me then, I always use primes. The only time I wont use a prime is for scenarios like yesterday when I was taking photos of a roller derby practice. I honestly think I'll be using the lens with IS turned off in future though, for things like that as it was causing more issues than it solved.

When I'm running around on location I really don't have the time to keep changing lenses or carry at least 6 different primes around as well

:D It will depend on what you do, obviously. Personally I have a 35L and 85L for what I do and switching isn't an issue really, as it takes about 10 seconds. If you're taking photos of things that are moving around a lot, constantly then it'll be a pain in the rear! Although you could buy another body to put another lens on :D

Back