Is the Canon S120 worth a punt?

Most of these I don't see as advantages (the OP might though), but while the S120 is a good little compact;

- A touch screen has always been a no no on a camera for me, while it has its uses, I always accidentally change things with my nose!

The RX100 is in a different league to all other compacts IMO.

In general I agree the larger the sensor especially if the elements are not too jammed will always be a winner. But it is the totality of the "package" that counts, it is not?

As for the touch screen, I have found it useful and some of the setup settings suggestions above I have yet to try.

But as for ones nose touching the screen, well as there is no optical viewfinder on the S120 if your nose touches it the user must be doing something very strange with it ;)

In general I agree the larger the sensor especially if the elements are not too jammed will always be a winner. But it is the totality of the "package" that counts, it is not?

As for the touch screen, I have found it useful and some of the setup settings suggestions above I have yet to try.

But as for ones nose touching the screen, well as there is no optical viewfinder on the S120 if your nose touches it the user must be doing something very strange with it ;)

Lol the last bit is true! My experiences with touch screen DSLR's don't really come into this now I think about it :asshat:

With the S100 you don't get touch, but with smartphone and tablets now feeling kind of similar, I'm often tending to try to do things on the screen!
In particular formatting the card ends with an OK button to finish - and I have to think almost evertime that means hit (real) set button not tap screen.

To be honest I like the look of both, I would hate to buy the S120 without first checking the Sony RX100 also. If I was not happy with the IQ of S120, I would be wishing I had stumped up the extra 50 odd quid for the Sony. I will pop into town tomorrow or Thursday, and have a good look at both cameras. Just hope they have both in stock.

Thanks for all the input so far :)

Back