Is the Fuji X-Pro 1 still worth getting?

Raymond Lin

I am Groot
Name
Raymond
Edit My Images
No
Something just for the price of a compact camera, my last compact I bought was a Olympus XZ-1 which cost me around £250 but I notice that the X-Pro 1 used can be had now for similar price (plus lenses).

Is this camera still stack on by modern standard? I only plan to put a 23mm lens in front of it and leave it at that.

Still a fine and capable camera, in fact in my opinion the original sensor is better than the newer MK2 sensors, there's just something magical about the images it produces.

If you want lightning fast DLSR like focus, then look elsewhere but if you want a quality camera that loves to be used the way we used to use camera's then its a gem.

Still a fine and capable camera, in fact in my opinion the original sensor is better than the newer MK2 sensors, there's just something magical about the images it produces.

If you want lightning fast DLSR like focus, then look elsewhere but if you want a quality camera that loves to be used the way we used to use camera's then its a gem.

I am aware of the compromise but at the price it goes for now, its still pretty good? I mean what £300 camera are there that is this good in this form factor?

p.s. I have a 5D4 if i want speed.

I have an X-Pro 1, and use it (and like it) more than my XT-1. Definitely still worth having, especially as they're so cheap now.

Well, I've bought one !!! Now what lens should I get?

23mm/1.4 ? Just want something around 35mm, or is there a cheaper but good alternative?

It's still a great little camera. Bit of a slow coach by today's standards, even towards the XT-1. A lot slower in fact. But there's a charm about the xpro1, it makes me feel like I'm shooting film, like I did as a kid. The only thing I dislike about it is the viewfinder, it's a bit 'harsh' on the eye - must get a better eye cup.

If I was you I'd go for a eos-m. Smaller and you can use your lenses with a af adapter. I would imagine the menu will be familiar too.

It's still a great little camera. Bit of a slow coach by today's standards, even towards the XT-1. A lot slower in fact. But there's a charm about the xpro1, it makes me feel like I'm shooting film, like I did as a kid. The only thing I dislike about it is the viewfinder, it's a bit 'harsh' on the eye - must get a better eye cup.

What's a good eye cup?

What's a good eye cup?

Something like this here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-EF-XPR...F8&qid=1487937808&sr=8-3&keywords=fuji+eyecup

Would be a lot softer on the corner of the eye, the xpro1 tends to bang against the bridge of my nose now and then which isn't pleasant. Maybe I'm just way too used to centre VF

If I was you I'd go for a eos-m. Smaller and you can use your lenses with a af adapter. I would imagine the menu will be familiar too.

He's already bought the pro1. It's a hell of a lot better camera than the Eos, that thing doesn't even have a VF. It's a fancy compact that you can use your Canon lenses on is all. But if OP has a 23mm fuji, and plans to leave it on the pro1, that's a solid little side set up right there, no faffing about

Last edited:
Something like this here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-EF-XPR...F8&qid=1487937808&sr=8-3&keywords=fuji+eyecup

Would be a lot softer on the corner of the eye, the xpro1 tends to bang against the bridge of my nose now and then which isn't pleasant. Maybe I'm just way too used to centre VF

He's already bought the pro1. It's a hell of a lot better camera than the Eos, that thing doesn't even have a VF. It's a fancy compact that you can use your Canon lenses on is all. But if OP has a 23mm fuji, and plans to leave it on the pro1, that's a solid little side set up right there, no faffing about

The problem getting the Canon M5 is that i might as well get the Sony A7R2 because

1 - the number of glass on the M5 is limited
2 - if i am using adaptor, it is going to be massive, i might as well just take my 5D4 tbh for better handling, or get a Sony A7R2.

Plus the Fuji is £300, put on a £400 lens and it is less than the M5 with change for another lens, perhaps the 35mm or 56mm.

I've got one to accompany my X-T2. Fact is, I often use it in preference to the T2. Mainly with legacy glass, manually focussed, but it's also excellent with the 18-55.

I've used both and prefer the M, just sayin.

That doesn't make it better though. Having no VF is a complete no-no for me personally.

For you personally, doesn't mean that's the case for everyone.

For you personally, doesn't mean that's the case for everyone.

What exactly is you point? I clearly stated "for me personally" - I don't even get why the EOS is being mentioned. OP has already said they bought an xpro1, your posts are a bit meaningless. I don't care what camera you prefer, I was only trying to help the OP.

You said

'It's a hell of a lot better camera than the Eos, that thing doesn't even have a VF. It's a fancy compact that you can use your Canon lenses on is all.'

I disagreed with that, that's all.

You said

'It's a hell of a lot better camera than the Eos, that thing doesn't even have a VF. It's a fancy compact that you can use your Canon lenses on is all.'

I disagreed with that, that's all.

It was still aimed at OP though. I mean, no offence an' all - but I just didn't want to get into a "this camera is better than that" because end of the day I am a firm believer in whatever gets you out shooting is best ;) I'm sure the EOS is alright, but I would still stand by the Xpro1 being a better all round camera. It just ... is. It might be older, but it's better built, has a great EVF and the files from it still stand up to many higher end cameras today.

For the record, I thought about the EOS M series, I discounted it because.

1 - native lenses sucks
2 - need adaptor to use my canon lenses, so if I stick my 35L on it, it is hardly small.
3 - I can leave the X-Pro 1 in my bag all day long and not really worry about it. I can't see myself do that with any L lens.
4 - EOS M cost more than X-Pro 1, even with a couple of lenses.

Neither camera will beat my 5D4s, so IQ or even features are not really top of the agenda. What is top of the agenda is something I could grab and go.

It was still aimed at OP though. I mean, no offence an' all - but I just didn't want to get into a "this camera is better than that" because end of the day I am a firm believer in whatever gets you out shooting is best ;) I'm sure the EOS is alright, but I would still stand by the Xpro1 being a better all round camera. It just ... is. It might be older, but it's better built, has a great EVF and the files from it still stand up to many higher end cameras today.

No worries pal :)

For the record, I thought about the EOS M series, I discounted it because.

1 - native lenses sucks
2 - need adaptor to use my canon lenses, so if I stick my 35L on it, it is hardly small.
3 - I can leave the X-Pro 1 in my bag all day long and not really worry about it. I can't see myself do that with any L lens.
4 - EOS M cost more than X-Pro 1, even with a couple of lenses.

You have obviously never used the 22mm f/2 STM :)

Good but you saying 'native lenses suck' is just not true.

Ok, i'll change it to, native lenses range sucks and limited ?

tbh, do not pay attention to STM lenses, they are on the lower part of the shopping range for what i use my camera normally for so a £200 lens are never on my radar these days I am sure it's good but to be honest, the EOS M has never been something that I really like, because for me, if i am using my Canon lenses, I want to use it like my 5D in a LOT of ways. I will compare it to it. not to mention I end up using a 50/1.4 as a 85mm.

Be interesting to see how you get on with the pro1 @Raymond Lin! They absolutely are a bargain these days and when I had one for a short while, I really enjoyed it. The 23 1.4 is a peach, not used the 23 2, and the 56 1.2 is excellent also.

I am kinda surprised, that you didn't look at the X100F though, as it covers what you have kinda gone for here, albeit I know you can't swap lenses on that camera and it costs more than what you have gone for. But it seems to be getting excellent reviews from what I have seen.

Be interesting to see how you get on with the pro1 @Raymond Lin! They absolutely are a bargain these days and when I had one for a short while, I really enjoyed it. The 23 1.4 is a peach, not used the 23 2, and the 56 1.2 is excellent also.

I am kinda surprised, that you didn't look at the X100F though, as it covers what you have kinda gone for here, albeit I know you can't swap lenses on that camera and it costs more than what you have gone for. But it seems to be getting excellent reviews from what I have seen.

I thought about it but that's over £1k, cash.

I traded in a couple of lenses to a local camera shop for the Fuji lenses and bought a used x-pro 1 from MBP. Total cost was £300 for the body, £400 for both lenses so about £700.

The X-pro 2 in a few years will be like £300 and I could get one then for better performance and still have my lenses and still be less than a new X-100F.

Last edited:
I thought about it but that's over £1k, cash.

I traded in a couple of lenses to a local camera shop for the Fuji lenses and bought a used MBP. Total cost was £300 for the body, £400 for both lenses so about £700.

Agreed and absolutely can't argue with that at all mate! Only thing that I felt the pro1 missed was a tilting screen, save me breaking my back/neck for the type of things I was shooting at the time. Very much a personal taste thing though.

I think you should start your own thread so we can see how you get on with the new camera! :)

Last edited:
Is there much of a difference between the newer X100T or F and the older S? I had the X100s for a while, very nice compact, but I wasn't using it enough, had Nikon FX gear at the time. So I sold it on. But I wonder if buying an X100s at less than half the money for an F is a great idea? They all use the same lens the only real differences I see are improved video and the VF coverage, probably AF speed too. But you can get an X100s for £500

Any that's swaying OT, I'd rather the Xpro1 + 23 F2 lens also. You have an x100[whatever] pretty much, and the added option of using other lenses, inc adapted old classic lenses and you have full VF coverage, plus ergonomically I'd prefer the chunkier body

Is there much of a difference between the newer X100T or F and the older S? I had the X100s for a while, very nice compact, but I wasn't using it enough, had Nikon FX gear at the time. So I sold it on. But I wonder if buying an X100s at less than half the money for an F is a great idea? They all use the same lens the only real differences I see are improved video and the VF coverage, probably AF speed too. But you can get an X100s for £500

Any that's swaying OT, I'd rather the Xpro1 + 23 F2 lens also. You have an x100[whatever] pretty much, and the added option of using other lenses, inc adapted old classic lenses and you have full VF coverage, plus ergonomically I'd prefer the chunkier body

Whilst I like the X-100 series, I like a bit of lens sticking out to hold on to! Lol

@Cagey75 I think the difference the S and F are smaller, they have the same Sensor. F has a new sensor. They all have the same lens though.

Whilst £550 to £600 for a x-100t get you a great camera. An x-pro 1 for £250 plus a 23mm/1.4 for £400 is £650.

A little bit more money but provides a lot more flexibility and future proofing too.

Last edited:
I think this photo justify my decision for getting this for personal/travel use.

6OVTly5.jpg

I thinking about getting rid of my FF nikon and fully move to fuji already ....

If your work do not require a DSLR, I don't see why not.

However, I do need what Canon offers for work. The dual card slots, the VERY good AF, the range of lenses, the bokeh look of FF, the Speedlite system (not much can touch the 600EX-RT out there), the durability, the longer battery life, CPS service.

For travel though, the Fuji makes sense. I don't really need 1.2 or 1.4 for photos of my Ramen.

Someone picked up an absolute bargain on eBay last night - a late issue mint XP1 for just £200 - just one bid at the initial listing price. Well done him/her

They're a steal at the moment - a quality camera for the price of a cheap compact

If your work do not require a DSLR, I don't see why not.

However, I do need what Canon offers for work. The dual card slots, the VERY good AF, the range of lenses, the bokeh look of FF, the Speedlite system (not much can touch the 600EX-RT out there), the durability, the longer battery life, CPS service.

For travel though, the Fuji makes sense. I don't really need 1.2 or 1.4 for photos of my Ramen.

Raymond!!!, its all about F1.2 for Ramen lol :) hehe (joking)

Back