Is the Pentax Pentax K100D & 18-55mm a good buy for £229?

Edit My Images
No
Hi, looking for some advice, I want to start takinging up Photography as a hobby, I have been looking at buying the Canon 400D or the 40D as my first camera, I have just seen the Pentax K100D & 18-55mm in my local ASDA, and they have only 2 left:eek:, is this a good buy for £229 with the Pentax camera bag also included, or would I be better holding of for one of the either the 400D OR 40D with the casback option?

Thanks
Mark.

I have the pentax K10D, but I didnt entertain the K100D, most people will say go for the Canon as there are more lens avaliability and things, however, the best bit of my camera choice was having a camera, I took it, played about with it in the shops, and comparison.
you'll know what camera feels right.

Good review of it here. Sounds like a snip at £229 - you won't get a sniff of a new Canon at that money.

Oh, and welcome to the forums (y)

The cheapest I can see it on the net is £349.99 without the kit bag, so it looks Like a cracking deal, I am very tempted to buy it at this price, someone please tell me why I shoudnt:cautious:

All the reviews that I am reading are all positive so far, at double the price:)

Mark.

Whats the prices of lenses like for this camera, Is the bundled lens good enough quallity to start off with?

Mark.

Decide i'm going to buy it, if I don't like it I will sell it.

Thanks for the advice.

Mark.

I'm delighted with my K100d. Paid £300 for it with kit lens.

I wouldn't often shoot at 3200 iso, but below that the noise is actually pretty good. IMHO that is.

I have a load of old K mount lenses, which work well on the K100d - although fully manual lenses do require you to slow your shooting down a bit.

I'm happy with the kit lens - but like most zooms it's not best when wide open.

I was lucky to also get hold of the Samsung version of the 50-200mm zoom to go on it for £50 a couple of months back. Very good value at that price. Put the savings towards a Sigma 105mm macro (£264 when bought) that I'd always wanted.

People worry that longer focal lengths are in short supply, but I still have a 600mm which does good service, albeit in manual focus only.

I'd buy the Pentax again - especially at that price.

Arguably the Pentax 18-55 is of far better construction and maybe better image quality than Canon and Nikon's kit lenses...

hi marky67, am wondering what is your local asda, as i work 4 asda and we only have the pentax k100ds at £349 with no bag, (i'm getting it on the 4/12/07 for £289)

Hi Tony, I stay up in Glasgow, the Asda store that I bought the camera was the Govan store near Ibrox stadium, they had 1 left a couple of days ago, hope this helps.

Now I have to go and learn photography:bonk:

Regards
Mark.

Hi, I bought the camera, delighted with the build of this camera, Absolutely solid, just waiting on an SD card to get delivered so I can start taking some pics.

Can anyone please recommend an extra lens for this camera, I have been looking at these two below. around the £100 price range.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-55-200mm-F4-5-6-Digital-Pentax/dp/B0002P19ZS/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_text_b

http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_28&products_id=275

Depends what you want to shoot! Telephoto-wise, the 70-300 APO Macro is meant to be a very good lens. For portraits and low-light photos, get one of these:

Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f1.4

or, for a vast selection of really good lenses for absolutely peanuts, think about manual Pentax lenses. You'll have to focus them manually (KA or PKA mount) or focus them manually AND **** around with the metering a bit (K or PK mount) but they're cheap, quite easy to find on eBay and second-hand camera shops, and sometimes are of really high optical quality.

Back