Beginner Is the Sigma 17-70 OS worth getting ?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
A long distance friend of mine has offered to sell me his Sigma 17-70 OS for a great price, he is selling as he won 2 Ebay auctions at the same time & he has decided to keep the contemporary version and sell the older version, so I am considering it as an upgrade to my 18-55 kit lens to go on my 7D. It will mainly be used as a walkabout lens, along with some portraits which I know it is capable of doing. I know it hasn't got the constant 2.8 aperture that the 17-50 has, but I was wondering about user opinions of the lens ?.

Many Thanks

John

I got one a few years ago; I think my father's comment on it says it all - "Front focused so much (I) could have taken a photo of tomorrow". Admittedly more a quality control problem than an inherent feature; presumably your friend could send you some samples to make sure you're happy with the IQ?

I have one and noticed an improvement on the 18-55 kit lens, and it's faster and longer. Nothing not to like really.

I took some canny photos with mine, however it snapped from the mount on my camera when I jumped to catch a ball! cost £90 to repair then I sold it. Think I had it on a 7d as well, I spent a bit more on the Canon ef-s 15-85 which was much better.

I've had one of the original non stabilised ones for around 7 years now which has given good service for the money and I understand that the latest are a bit better optically so would recommend one especially if the price is attractive.

Thanks for the replies everyone, my friend has sent me some sample images and have to say they look great. We just have to agree on a price, he knows there are a few on ebay, so promised to do me a good deal if I am interested

I loved my original version on my 30d great range more than sharp enough and really close focussing which is handy in a general purpose lens!

An overall good lens. Better than kit lenses but not quite as good as the f2.8 lenses eg tamron and sigma 17-50. You do obviously have a larger focal range though

Thanks for the replies everyone, my mate & me agreed on a price of £150, so am well chuffed with that & by all means if I prefer the 2.8 part of the lens then I could very well get a 17-50 or an 18-55 at a later date. :)

@Jwar1976 glad you got it sorted, and so starts the desire for lenses :) look forward to seeing some images with your new lens!

18-55 f2.8? A new one on me. From whom ?

Think he meant 18-50 .

Sorry my bad, I meant the Canon 17-55 :oops: :$

@Jwar1976 glad you got it sorted, and so starts the desire for lenses :) look forward to seeing some images with your new lens!

Thank you and yes have had the desire for a long time now, have been looking for a decent walkabout lens for awhile now & now that I have started to get some models approach me, I am looking forward to see how it works with my speedlite :).

I take it you are aware of the strobist website? If not check out David Hobbys blog it will teach you nearly everything you need to know about off camera flash!

Hi John

Congrats on getting the 17-70. Sounds like a good price too. If it is anything like most current offerings from Sigma, it will do a great job for you.

Back