Is the Tamron 17-50 THAT much better than the 450d kit lens?

Dab

Edit My Images
No
I'm heading to Canada in a few weeks time and I'm thinking about upgrading my kit lens to a Tamron 17-50 f2.8. This is available for around £330 which is a fair chunk to pay out for the constant aperture. I mainly shoot landscapes so I was wondering if the upgrade is really worth it, seeing as most of my landscape photos will be shot at smaller apertures than wide open (i.e f5.6-8) which both lenses can achieve stopped down? Does the Tamron achieve much better results over the kit lens at this range?

I'm no fan of zooms but the Tamron 17-50/2.8 has MTF figures that rival some good primes....pretty amazing for the price.

Bob

Yes it is. Seriously, it rocks. It'll blow your socks off on the 450D.

I had one for my 400D and used it on my 40D as well:

Go get one ;)

Cheers Bob, I'll assume thats a good thing because i have no idea what MTF figures are! Although if it's rivaling primes in any way that can only be good.

One thing to be aware of though - The AF is noisy. Relatively quick, quite accurate, but noisy. Colors, contrast and sharpness more than makes up for that in my book *** :)

One thing to be aware of though - The AF is noisy. Relatively quick, quite accurate, but noisy. Colors, contrast and sharpness more than makes up for that in my book *** :)

I'm sure its something i can get used to, unless it's so loud it scares away the general public! Better constrast and colours are exactly what i'm looking for though so sounds like it's a winner.

AF is super loud, but makes no odds to me.

i love mine and will prob never rid of it.

I sold my kit lens and got the Tamron on my 450D. Best thing i ever did. I use it on my 40D now.
Apart from the already said sharpness/colour/contrast one of the best things about it is this thing will focus really close to the subject. So much that the subject nearly touches the hood. This alone made my 50mm f/1.8 pretty redundant.

Its a cracking lens, rarely off my camera. I dont think the focus is that noisy. I guess you are using a tripod so you shouldn't miss the IS of the kit lens.

AF is only noisy on Canon bodies, its not on the Nikon variant.

The non-motor version is very quick... just a very quick "Zzzzt!" - the newer motorised version is quiet but can make an odd chirping noise. Neither are noisy compared to shutter release noise etc, the camera will make more noise than the lens.

I love my 17-50mm. It's rarely off my camera.

Yeah, lovely lens. Makes the Nikon 17-55 redundant for a great many people. Sharp, nice Bokeh, a joy to use. They say it's not as well built as some, but in reality it's just as well made as the camera bodies of the lower-end Nikon Cameras.

The AF is as quick [on a motor-body Nikon like my D80] as AF-S because there's a reallly short focus path - a quarter turn from nowt to infinity. This can lead to distance misprepresentation to the camera body - and this is linked to flash overexposure with external flashes. Never beeen a problem for me, even with the SB-600.

AF is only noisy on Canon bodies, its not on the Nikon variant.

The non-motor version is very quick... just a very quick "Zzzzt!" - the newer motorised version is quiet but can make an odd chirping noise. Neither are noisy compared to shutter release noise etc, the camera will make more noise than the lens.

Are the two motorised versions for Nikon's only? Or has it been updated for Canon too?

Back