Is there a problem with my new lens?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all...

I've had a recent purchase of a Nikon 17-55 2.8 and not to sure if there is a problem?

If I take a photograph of a group of people at 17mm the people on the outside looked like they have stretched faces? What would be causing this problem?

Thanks if you can help...

Ed :)

Can you post an example? It may be due to distortion of an image at the extreme focus length rather than a fault with the lens, but seeing an image posted would confirm it (with the expertise on here).

I'm with Phil on this. It looks as though the distortion is what you would expect with a very wide angle lens

Close ups with a wide angle will show some odd distortions

If i use my 17-40 L@ 17mm on my full frame 5d for close ups the results are often strange with a weird perspective :eek:

As the others have said though, post up a pic :)

Hi all....

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated..... Here is an example:

DSC_5927Card001Resized.jpg

They all seem a tad warped? look at the guy on the left?

DSC_5924Card001Resized.jpg

The guy on the right, take a look at his face, its looks a tad warped?

DSC_5849Card001Resized.jpg

Same with the girl on the left?

Is this distortion and if so, is there anything I could do about it? Is it a lens fault?

It only seems to be happening on group photographs at 17mm?

Again your help is much appreciated...

I think you'll find it in any close up images at 17mm

Thats exactly what i see with people shots at 17mm :(
Portraits type shots are better around 50mm as it lessens the effect.

I think you'll find it in any close up images at 17mm

Thats exactly what i see with people shots at 17mm :(
Portraits type shots are better around 50mm as it lessens the effect.

Thanks for the reply digitalfailure! :) What causes this problem? You'll have to excuse me being naive but never had a wide angle lens before, 17mm... except my fisheye but that gives the effect anyway!

I mean why bother making lenses at 17mm if they produce distortion?

What can be done about this? I know it can be corrected in photoshop but surely there isn't any need for this? especially when a lens of this calibre costs near on £800?

Sorry for my ignorance but can anyone clarify if I can do something about my distorted lens? Am I able to send it back or is it something I'm just going to have to live with...

There's nothing wrong with the lens, it's a natural characteristic of a wide angle.
17mm is too wide for portrait use, you would be better around the 50mm.

Wide angle lenses will always produce distortion, expensive lenses handle the distortion better than cheaper lenses, but there will always be some. Portraits are generally done at a higher focal length. You don't notice the distortion so much on landscapes which is the normal use of a wide angle lens.

Unless your restricted by space, I'd shoot from further back and use a more flattering focal length

Hmm, that distortion is pretty bad! Looks like pincushion distortion to me.

Certainly it's much worse than I get on my Tamron 17-50 on a Canon 400D.

Jeff

You are shooting at too wide an angle for portraits. I have the same lens and recently took some photo`s at my nieces 21st, never went under 35mm, no distortion. Move further away and dont` use the wider angle on this lens.

IMO.

Yeah, I agree with jeffreybond, it doesn't look like normal wide angle distortion, it's distorting the wrong way. It's almost as if the lens is over-compensating for the barrel distortion somehow.

Back