Is there a way to undo an action more easily in Lightroom 5?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I know you can do 'control & Z' but is there any way you can configure it to undo in one keystroke?

I also know you can go to 'zeroed' in Develop mode but that means scrolling to find it.

You can view before/after the modification you have just made by pressing the back slash key, but only works for the previous step of the workflow though.

If you have the "History" panel open on the LHS you can jump back and forth at will.

You can also shift/ctrl and r to return to the un altered state of the file

Any help??

David

Last edited:
Yes thanks I regularly use the back slash key but when I try differing pre-sets I like a quick way to go back a step and try the next one.

The zeroed command is under the Default 'Lightroom General' Pre-sets. I have created copies to put in other of my user crated folders but............ it would be so much simpler to have one key :)

Short of having your glamorous assistant stood next to you with her fingers on the ctrl and Z keys awaiting your command, I don't think there's an easier way, although if it's a frequently used option, you could use a couple of blobs of BluTak (other tacky stuff is available!) on the relevant keys with an ice lolly stick attached to the tak would press both keys at the same time and a better aimed key stroke on either end should press just the single key required should you need to press ctrl + something else or just the Z key. (And breathe, Nod!)

Short of having your glamorous assistant stood next to you with her fingers on the ctrl and Z keys awaiting your command, I don't think there's an easier way, although if it's a frequently used option, you could use a couple of blobs of BluTak (other tacky stuff is available!) on the relevant keys with an ice lolly stick attached to the tak would press both keys at the same time and a better aimed key stroke on either end should press just the single key required should you need to press ctrl + something else or just the Z key. (And breathe, Nod!)

Well, well funny :clap:

I thought you were going to say stop all the bloody PP :p

I've just thought of a way.

buy a Wacom Intuos pro tablet and you can assign one of the shortcut buttons to CTRL-Z.

Yes an interesting thought (y)

Yes thanks I regularly use the back slash key but when I try differing pre-sets I like a quick way to go back a step and try the next one.
Undo on ctrl z is not too bad if you have made a mistake. But the scenario here is different.

I guess what you really want is to do is flip through a range of pre-sets without having to go back each time. Like a sort of 'browse' mode.

I don't know if LR has that. So it might be worth requesting it if you can show your scenario to Adobe.

Having used systems with dedicated keys for OK, Cancel, Undo, Forward, Backward etc. Where you get used to working really quickly, it's strange that PCs have never caught up.

As a workaround, until things get better, you might like to define a mouse gesture using a gesture manager. I use them for: swipe right = forward , swipe left = back/undo and down-then-right = close window. I use 'easystroke', but there are plenty of others for all the OSs. And some have them built in.

Last edited:
Undo on ctrl z is not too bad if you have made a mistake. But the scenario here is different.

I guess what you really want is to do is flip through a range of pre-sets without having to go back each time. Like a sort of 'browse' mode.

I don't know I'd LR has that. So it might be worth requesting it if you can show your scenario to Adobe.

Having used systems with dedicated keys for OK, Cancel, Undo, Forward, Backward etc. Where you get used to working really quickly, it's strange that PCs have never caught up.

As a workaround, until things get better, you might like to define a mouse gesture using a gesture manager. I use them for: swipe right = forward , swipe left = back/undo and down-then-right = close window. I use 'easystroke', but there are plenty of others for all the OSs. And some have them built in.

As you probably know, there is a small preview pane on the top left of LR5 when you move the mouse or pen over any presets before "clicking" on them.

I don't know if LR has that. So it might be worth requesting it if you can show your scenario to Adobe.

That's a point actually. If you have plenty of buttons on your mouse like I do, I have a gaming mouse, then could you not assign one of those buttons??

I used to use a top end mouse when I was in my working phase of my life and had it configured to make my life easier so it would be an idea for me to look into this again so thanks for the suggestion (y)

As you probably know, there is a small preview pane on the top left of LR5 when you move the mouse or pen over any presets before "clicking" on them.

Indeed but even when it's at it's maximum size it just isn't big enough to see :(

Back