Is there any essentails that are needed in a camera bag?

Something you need but cannot buy.

The willpower to leave some of your camera gear at home..........:D

Here is my basic sports list of non-camera gear

small roll electrical tape
small led flash light
rubber bands (big thick ones)
neck strap lanyard (for event id, press accreditation etc.)
velcro straps
tea towel (2)
waterproof over-trousers
thermal hat (winter)
sun hat (summer)
gloves (winter)
thermos flask or bottled water
insect repellant
small swiss army type screwdriver, pliers thingy
business cards

On a warm day I just leave the wet weather stuff in the car.

Tea towels are also handy for end of match celebrations when someone decides the photographer should get sprayed as well :)

Other stuff includes wet weather gear for cameras, spare batteries for camera and flash, flash extension lead, spare memory, flash gels, spare body and lens end caps.

John

I tailor my kit to the event I'm doing.

However normally includes:- Plastic bag, couple of elastic bands, my rain cover, lens cloth, folded up tea towel, bottle of water, paracetamol, pen and paper, gloves, hat, waterproof trousers (cheap ski over trousers from Sainsbury's £ 9) lightweight windproof jacket (xxl so I can wear it over lots of layers), spare camera batteries, AA batteries, phone (phone has torch built in), lanyard.

at one time i would ahve said a swiss army knife... you know with all the accesseries , knife, fork, spoon, screwdriver, saw, the lot.. always handy

but i guess this day and age ya cant :(

Why is that KIPAX? I always carry a swiss army knife with me. Don't know the law here, but in Cyprus you are allowed to carry a knife on you if the blade is 12cm or under.

Thank you very much indeed :)

Here is my basic sports list of non-camera gear

small roll electrical tape
small led flash light
rubber bands (big thick ones)
neck strap lanyard (for event id, press accreditation etc.)
velcro straps
tea towel (2)
waterproof over-trousers
thermal hat (winter)
sun hat (summer)
gloves (winter)
thermos flask or bottled water
insect repellant
small swiss army type screwdriver, pliers thingy
business cards

On a warm day I just leave the wet weather stuff in the car.

Tea towels are also handy for end of match celebrations when someone decides the photographer should get sprayed as well :)

Other stuff includes wet weather gear for cameras, spare batteries for camera and flash, flash extension lead, spare memory, flash gels, spare body and lens end caps.

John

Cool, thank you!

I tailor my kit to the event I'm doing.

However normally includes:- Plastic bag, couple of elastic bands, my rain cover, lens cloth, folded up tea towel, bottle of water, paracetamol, pen and paper, gloves, hat, waterproof trousers (cheap ski over trousers from Sainsbury's £ 9) lightweight windproof jacket (xxl so I can wear it over lots of layers), spare camera batteries, AA batteries, phone (phone has torch built in), lanyard.

Cheers Andrew.

Why is that KIPAX? I always carry a swiss army knife with me. Don't know the law here, but in Cyprus you are allowed to carry a knife on you if the blade is 12cm or under.

Think it is different here.

at one time i would ahve said a swiss army knife... you know with all the accesseries , knife, fork, spoon, screwdriver, saw, the lot.. always handy

but i guess this day and age ya cant :(

Well I do.....:razz:

I think you answered your question yourself mate. This aint Cyprus (Have a good mate moved out there a couple of years ago. was back for a visit yesterday.. he loves it there)

I dont know the law here regarding knives... hence why i said "i guess ya can't".. would be a pretty good guess as well.

KNIVES

So I just looked and found this on UK Goverment website

it is illegal for any shop to sell a knife of any kind (including cutlery and kitchen knives) to anyone under the age of 18

it is generally an offence to carry a knife in public without good reason or lawful authority (for example, a good reason is a chef on the way to work carrying their own knives)

the maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is four years in prison and a fine of £5000

knives where the blade folds into the handle, like a Swiss Army Knife, aren't illegal as long as the blade is shorter than three inches (7.62 cms)

Cheers for that link I wasn't aware as a teacher I have the right to search a pupil for a knife (however seeing as I'm teaching 4 year olds it is unlikely i'd ever need to :p )

some more that i forgot, simple first aid kit, torch, head torch, and spare batteries

I checked out the law in Cyprus. It states the exact dimensions as you state here (I just remembered 12cm, don't know why). I would have thought so, really, since we got every legislation, the constitution, everything from Great Britain back when Cyprus was a British colony.
I heard somewhere that with a blade of just 3 inches you can't reach someones heart if you stab him, so it's not considered 'lethal', which is ridiculus, they could always slit someone's throat if they wanted to.
I always carry my swiss army knife with me, whether I go fishing or for photography, it's just very handy!

i find that a small torch is a must for night time or dark dingey buildings to see whats happening, i got a really small one that is a torch and turns into a lamp too!

Sounds more like a Scout hike rather than a photography outing based on some of the stuff people are lugging about!

Small 1st aid kit is a must too IMO

Before I had one I had a few nasty scrapes & scratches needing plasters etc. ever since getting the 1st aid kit I've never so much as got a nick

Powerful protection that!

I've got just about everything already mentioned in mine too, and it's not a big bag - though it does weigh almost 20lbs now. Did anyone mention change? As in pennies? I always carry about £10 in cash for parking meters, etc.

I also have a micro sewing kit too - no idea why, but it's really small and weighs nowt - so you never know!

DD

chamois leather, To cover your camera when it rains, Can then wipe it before you put it in your bag.

Excellent idea! I always get a wet/dirty knee! I think I might look at sorting that out now whilst I think of it. :)

I bought a pair of builder's kneepads (I think they were £2) and removed the hard cap from one.

hard-kneepad.jpg

looks a bit odd walking around with one kneepad on, but it works well :)

This thread reminds me I need to clean my bike/ camera bag. here is what i found Nikon D300, 50 f1.4, 70-300, 10-20, hotshoe cable, SB800 flash gun, soft light diffuser for flash gun, lens cleaning kit (cloth, blower brush, liquid stuff), passport (now put away), 4 memory cards, 2 spare inner tubes, Rapha arm warmers, hoodie, park tools mini-multi tool, bike pump, asthma pump, 2 pens, note book, 5 business cards (not mine), a ten pound note, a wet piece of paper with a name and number on it (wonder how old that is) a strange paste that looks like biscuit crumbs and mud, my missing cycling glove, broken chain barker, pedros speed levers, 15mm spanner, lonely palent guide to Tokyo, King Kog riding jacket, a City Police "stop and account" form, a CD with really bad hard core on it.

I need to clean this thing more often.

I bought a pair of builder's kneepads (I think they were £2) and removed the hard cap from one.

Interesrting! Nice suggestion! Sounds a lot easier than plastic bags... especially as the stuff I love most is the coast where I can imagine the wind would make farting around with placcy bags a bit of a nuisance (sp?). All I need to find is one for my arse too, so that I can sit down.

Actually... waterproof pants... hmm... goes off googling!

This thread reminds me I need to clean my bike/ camera bag. here is what i found Nikon D300, 50 f1.4, 70-300, 10-20, hotshoe cable, SB800 flash gun, soft light diffuser for flash gun, lens cleaning kit (cloth, blower brush, liquid stuff), passport (now put away), 4 memory cards, 2 spare inner tubes, Rapha arm warmers, hoodie, park tools mini-multi tool, bike pump, asthma pump, 2 pens, note book, 5 business cards (not mine), a ten pound note, a wet piece of paper with a name and number on it (wonder how old that is) a strange paste that looks like biscuit crumbs and mud, my missing cycling glove, broken chain barker, pedros speed levers, 15mm spanner, lonely palent guide to Tokyo, King Kog riding jacket, a City Police "stop and account" form, a CD with really bad hard core on it.

I need to clean this thing more often.

:LOL:mental

An army poncho,It also doubles up as a ground sheet. When the heavens open you can just lift it over your gear an it will stay dry.
Cheap as chips, does what it says on the tin, and rolls up small (unless you get the really old rubber one)
Not the best in the looking "good" department though:D:D But hey!!

hard-kneepad.jpg

looks a bit odd walking around with one kneepad on, but it works well :)

What do you use that for, and why did you remove the hard cap from the one?

What a superb thread, well done Matt, it's really interesting and has given me loads of ideas of things I suddenly need!

I also have a micro sewing kit too - no idea why, but it's really small and weighs nowt - so you never know!
DD

You've been watching the first Rambo film again haven't you DD...?!!

Now that's a great tool, not just for photography, but can be very useful for garden & house-work (y)

Would you mind telling where you got them for £2!

Thanks

And I thought my camera bag was getting too heavy...

You lot must look like you are marching on Port Stanley rather than going out for a day's photography...

Which one of these is you?

falklandDM0104_468x337.jpg

:D

My slightly more limited bag contains camera rain cover, rocket blower, lens cloth, CPL for whatever lens(es) I have with me and then stuff made by Nikon.

The rest of the junk certainly is not in my bag - ie not stuff I'd consider to be photography related, just clothing and stuff in my pocket I'd choose to carry for whatever specific thing I am doing that day (eg waterproofs if its wet, sun hat if its sunny, ladder if I need to get up high etc etc)

Thanks everyone.

I have just purchased:

Remote release
Spirit level
Rocket blower
Lens Pen
Bean Bag

:D

All on its way to me!!

Plus then the other things that have been mentioned will be sourced (found in house) and put in :D

Back