Is there any Nikon 80-400 AF-S Users on here??

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon all

The new lens will arrive next week sometime perfectly timed for my trip away! Anyway just wondering if any of you have tried a TC with the 80-400? If so what's your findings?

Can't seem to find any field tests on the newer 80-400 and TC

Afternoon all

The new lens will arrive next week sometime perfectly timed for my trip away! Anyway just wondering if any of you have tried a TC with the 80-400? If so what's your findings?

Can't seem to find any field tests on the newer 80-400 and TC

Hi

I have the AF-S 80-400mm and am very pleased with the hand held image quality. I do find that my left arm aches when I've been using it all day though! I haven't tried it with a TC, but I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase.

I had this when it first came out and thought it gave great detailed images with really good contrast and colours and with great control over flare etc.. Fast focussing too. Takes a TC well when used with D7100 or on a D800e. Overall, quite expensive but a very high quality and reasonably compact lens.

Thanks I'll have a read through this

Hi

I have the AF-S 80-400mm and am very pleased with the hand held image quality. I do find that my left arm aches when I've been using it all day though! I haven't tried it with a TC, but I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase.

Thanks I'm quite excited actually! Hopefully when I get to the North West 200 I'll not need this lens much but hopefully when I get on the west coast it'll come in handy

I had this when it first came out and thought it gave great detailed images with really good contrast and colours and with great control over flare etc.. Fast focussing too. Takes a TC well when used with D7100 or on a D800e. Overall, quite expensive but a very high quality and reasonably compact lens.

Well I've got the D750 so hopefully it'll be a brilliant combo just thought maybe the 1.4TC would give me that bit extra I need!

Hi Ben

I do not think that you can go too far wrong with this lens. Have you considered the new 300PF lens though ? Friend of mine has it and it gives stunning images with both x1.4 and x1.7 TCs onboard and is really quite good with a x2. Definitely something to think about ?

Regards

Gary

Hi Ben

I do not think that you can go too far wrong with this lens. Have you considered the new 300PF lens though ? Friend of mine has it and it gives stunning images with both x1.4 and x1.7 TCs onboard and is really quite good with a x2. Definitely something to think about ?

Regards

Gary

Thanks Gary your not the first to suggest it and after having a read it sounds like an awesome lens but I'm far from a fan of primes can't get away with them at all I don't doubt they are good plenty people use them I just like the flexibility of a zoom so the prime is a no for me another huge reason I've just sold the very very capable 70-300vr which I had no complaints about other than it stopping at 300 ha need that extra length

Hi Ben

It is horses and courses of course. The 300f4PF gives a great 300f4, 420f5.6, 510f7.1 and 600f8 but I fully appreciate that it does not fill the 80-300 mm role at all. Being a PF, it is though a very compact lightweight lens if that matters ?

Bottom line is that the 80-400 will be a great choice and the 300f4PF is a nice alternative,

Best wishes

Gary

I have tried the 80-400mm with 1.4x TC types II and III on my D7100. I have yet to try the combo on my new D7200. Results from the type III were better than the type II and AF was more predictable. Both required substantial micro-adjustment but the fact that the type II was so unpredictable made adjustment difficult. With the type III I ended up with +16 setting to correct front focussing, You'll be limited in what you can use it for though as it still needs to be stopped down a little from the already small F8 to about F10.
So, in short, yes, you can use a 1.4x TC but I wouldn't bother unless you have a Nikon type III, and to get reasonable results that are better than cropping a standard image, you're limited to about f9 or F10. And forget chasing birds in flight with the combo.
The 80-400mm is a cracking lens on its own though. Very good wide open, and pretty amazing at F6.3.

I have tried the 80-400mm with 1.4x TC types II and III on my D7100. I have yet to try the combo on my new D7200. Results from the type III were better than the type II and AF was more predictable. Both required substantial micro-adjustment but the fact that the type II was so unpredictable made adjustment difficult. With the type III I ended up with +16 setting to correct front focussing, You'll be limited in what you can use it for though as it still needs to be stopped down a little from the already small F8 to about F10.
So, in short, yes, you can use a 1.4x TC but I wouldn't bother unless you have a Nikon type III, and to get reasonable results that are better than cropping a standard image, you're limited to about f9 or F10. And forget chasing birds in flight with the combo.
The 80-400mm is a cracking lens on its own though. Very good wide open, and pretty amazing at F6.3.

Thanks for the reply I'm really tempted by the 1.4tc more for motorbikes and deep space astro photography going to sell my telescope and get one I think

I wouldn't use a TC on the 80-400mm on anything other than relatively static shots. I know the latest Nikons allow a stop less light and still AF compared to earlier models, but you'd still be pushing it for motorbikes. A fired borrowed mine recently on his D810 and tried chasing birds in flight with the combo but they weren't very good. I have no idea how it would work for astro photography but with an effective focal length of 560mm it's still pretty short. Deep space photography requires some hefty glass with long focal lengths and a solid equatorial mount..

Back