Is there any point to Flickr?

I've just recently cancelled my Flickr pro renewal. I joined when I first got into photography and loved the few years I was on there regularly. I even hosted all my light painting shots from there to my website. Since the revamp of my site i've felt no need to continue on paying the yearly fee so i've gone back to being a regular member. That's all you really need to be on there now.

Has Flickr changed something in the last few days, for weeks I've had average views of around 300 per day, since the middle of the week I've had about 30 views in total and it's taking ages to load the photos on my stream. Someone else in another thread said they could do something on it but I couldn't find the buttons he was on about on my page. Seems a bit weird.

Scratch that, I just logged out and back in again and it asked me if I want to try the new Beta version so I had a look. Will take some getting used to when it goes full time.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't really like the new beta version. Saying that, I don't really like the current version either! :LOL:

The beta version just reminds me of Facebook...

I thought Flicker was some sort of geek site, for showing off revolting nasal crust projectile antics

Strange thing, I was on my laptop yesterday when I tried the new Beta version and I assumed the same settings would carry over to my desktop when I went on that. Same login, same account, same everything, however the desktop is still on the usual settings while the laptop is on the Beta settings. Bit confusing now as however many times I sign out and back in again on the desktop it doesn't ask if I want to try the Beta version but still keeps the settings on the laptop. Maybe it's because I'm running Windows 7 on the desktop but windows 8 on the laptop but I still don't see why my single account should be different.

It'll be writing a cookie stored on each computer (indeed browser) that you use.

It may be that Flickr are choosing which account/OS/browsers it offers the Beta to to get a representative sample of their user base.

I love Flickr, I've learned so much from other users. But today I discovered the stranger side of it! I uploaded a set of photos that illustrate a very obvious fault with my compact camera. They are totally unedited and blighted by an obvious glare. Yet people have favourited some and make positive comments. :bonk: Weird!

Instagram fans maybe?

Stopped using it when they changed it around earlier in the year. I now use 500px mostly and recently got an invite to try out ProPic but I haven't ahd a proper play with that yet.

well i have stuck with it through its changes and its ups and downs ,i shoot wildlife mainly with a few odd landscapes ,through flickr i have made new friends and contacts shared info that i would not have known about ,helped others with problems and been helped myself ,during the course of the last 5 years (my time on there) it has enabled my photos to be shown of various BBC nature websites ,it has enabled my photo's and my sons and now my wifes to be shown on bbc spring watch,autumn watch and red button galleries .and a few weeks ago i sold my first photo from there to a japanese rock group for a c.d cover for a decent price to .my son has sold photos to a oil company as well from flickr.
so yes its a resounding success as far as i,m concerned i would be lost without it and as with other things you only get out what you put in.heres the wifes photo that was on last thursdays autumn watch program

didn't she do well
by blackfox wildlife & nature imaging, on Flickr

so yep stick with it .it does what it says on the tin

Sharing. Sharing what I do, and being able to see others' work that may not be readily visible anywhere else. I come across others' work on Flickr that inspires me - I don't want to copy others, but seeing their stuff can be stimulating and kind of nourishing. I don't want to know what camera people have or what settings they used - I want to see their VISION.

That's great, Jeff! (@the black fox)

I have to admit, when I saw that it wasn't your name above the photo, I instantly thought someone has nicked it and sent it off as their own. They're the stories we're used to hearing with stuff like that :LOL:

cheers josh LOL yep we don't do bad as a family ,our ash was 2nd on bird guides last week with his grey phalarope shot to ,:-0)

As an amateur photographer who has only been really doing photography since March never really bothered with it. Then I found this forum and used it to host photos to use along with this site. I use all the others like FB, 500px, etc as well. I mainly use Flickr to try and make new friends who are also into photography, learn from each other, get ideas, and new locations. The only thing I do not like about FLickr and I don't know if anyone else has seen this, some photos I have seen have loads of favs and likes but there has been no thought in the composition or anything. One photos was just off a double yellow lines with paint spilt on the ground in bw and was getting comments and favs galore. Yet I have seen some peoples photos which I have licked as really well thought out and they hardly get anything.

This ^

Some people just can't live without it though

Personally, I'm irritated that it gets so much airtime here

There seems to be a lot of untrained eyes on flicker. I use it because it's a simple way to display my pics. I go back and look at shots I took two years ago and realize that what I thought was good then really is not. This is because as I learn I see things differently. With all do respect, I must say to look at the shots very open minded and ask questions if you do not get it. Having less then one year leaves you with plenty of growing room. For me that is the greatest part of photography, I will never stop learning and bettering myself as a photographer because you can never learn it all. Hope that makes sense.

One of the best things that I learned from the social networking side was to attempt to produce images that stood out and would appeal to people glancing through, rather than those who would take their time to look at and enjoy an image.

I know what you mean, but I can't help but think of this:

GFC.jpg

The British humorist Alan Coren was told the books that sold best were those about golfing, cats and Nazis....

Personally I love Flickr, my first images were uploaded there around September 2006 not long after I bought my first DSLR and my photostream is the only real record of how I've improved as a photographer. I upload images to various places for various reasons but Flickr is where I have most of my stuff and I wouldn't lose it for the world, that record is far too important to me.

The only point I see to flickr now is that it's a place almost guaranteed to show up in an image search, so if some cheeky oik decides to try and steal your image for their own gain under this new 'orphan works' legislation they'll be hard pressed to prove that they carried out a diligent search for the image owner.

Back