Is there such a thing as Grey Tape?

Pound Coin

Horatio Nelson
Edit My Images
Yes
So, like a grey card, but in tape form. So that it can be put somewhere in a location and isn't gong to get knocked, or removed easily. Needs to be daily small - width of insulating tape, or similar.

Hmm, thanks - will see if I can find a UK supplier!

So, like a grey card, but in tape form. So that it can be put somewhere in a location and isn't gong to get knocked, or removed easily. Needs to be daily small - width of insulating tape, or similar.
You can get grey insulation tape. probably not the right shade though. Or maybe try this lot. https://www.gaffatape.com Worth contacting them if it's not listed.

Last edited:
If your intention is to use for WB corrections in PP, then surely such tape might get degraded over time by atmospheric dust & pollution quite apart from sunlight UV impact :thinking:

Last edited:
If your intention is to use for WB corrections in PP, then surely such tape might get degraded over time by atmospheric dust & pollution quite apart from sunlight UV impact :thinking:
Yes, that's a point, although there's no sunlight.

Even if it was degraded it would be better then nothing, or finding something in the image that might be a shade of grey.

Most camera bags internals used to be grey for that exact reason, setting WB.
Yup, and I have a grey card too, but this is for an area that I would have no access to for the shots.

I have a roll of grey insulating tape, branded "LOGO tape". Can't vouch for its colour balance or shade but such stuff does exist!

There is also gray version of gaffer tape, commonly used by photography/video professionals. Unfortunately I recently ran out of mine and waiting for order to arrive, so cannot yet vouch for WB neutrality nor 18% tonality.

Last edited:
My new supply of gray gaffer tape arrived, and I put a patch of it on my EZ-balance black-18% gray-white calibration target which I know has a neutral gray...

This specific gray tape, as characterized using Lightroom eyedropper, is just as neutral as the commercial target, but it is +0.9EV brighter than the 18% gray, so it is a good color balance sample, and somewhat off for setting exposure.

Last edited:
My new supply of gray gaffer tape arrived, and I put a patch of it on my EZ-balance black-18% gray-white calibration target which I know has a neutral gray...

This specific gray tape, as characterized using Lightroom eyedropper, is just as neutral as the commercial target, but it is +0.9EV brighter than the 18% gray, so it is a good color balance sample, and somewhat off for setting exposure.
Thats useful, thanks.

Use bluetak to hold a grey card in any place
Unfortunately access to the area is limited and I fear anything like this would be removed quickly.

I seem to remember seeing that digital doesnt use 18% grey but a slightly different figure? Normal undercoat is pretty close to grey card.

Based on the RGB readouts on my camera, bog standard grey gaffer tape looked to be reasonably neutral and -2 stops compared to white card, so about 25% light reflection? There isn't quite enough blue in it compared to white paper.

I seem to remember seeing that digital doesnt use 18% grey but a slightly different figure? Normal undercoat is pretty close to grey card.
The original Kodak 18% grey card was intended for determining proper print density (which is not just negative exposure).

Then it started being used for setting exposure/color by photographers; and by coincidence, an 18% reflected surface propped up at an ~ 30˚ angle to the camera and sun results in ~ 12% reflectance being metered... if it's not a simple 30˚, then properly aiming the grey card and adjusting the reading becomes more involved.
"aiming the surface of the gray card toward a point one third of the compound angle between the camera and the main light. For example, if the main light is located 30 degrees to the side and 45 degrees up from the camera-to subject axis, aim the card 10 degrees to the side and 15 degrees up."

And 12-13% reflectance (+/- 2%) is what was specified in the ANSI standard (ANSI PH3.49-1971). Japanese manufacturers follow CIPA standards, but the metering (non)standard has remained...

Last edited:
The digital camera is set in manufacturing so that its metering is no different than film...I use incident meter and spotmeter both designed for shooting shooting film, and use both meters in the exposure setting for digital cameras. There is no such thing as a 'for film' meter vs. one 'for digital'.

When I use the lens cap it is really dark.

Back