Is this a phishing scam on my Gmail.com account?

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

On my Android smartphone this evening i had a Google "Account Action Required" message saying with a Google Play header
"There's been a change to your Google Account. For your security, sign in again."

With a Next button

Which I clicked taking me to the sign in page, as I had forgotten my password I did the forgotten password thing and got a Verify to my mobile number (of that phone) this was a G-xxxxxx number but the sender number puzzled me. It was +386 41 664 412 a Google of that shows it as a Slovenian company.

FWIW, apart from offering me a new password and re type it there was nowhere to put the G-xxxxxx code in.

All this does suggest to me that this is a phishing scam...............as surely if it was Google the sender number would have taken me to a provably Google site!

Edit ~ hmmm! on my PS Chorme browser I have just noticed that little 'name' at the top now tells me that sync is not working "Sign in details are out of date" with a click button "signin again". FWIW this is totally different @gmail.com to my Android phone

Last edited:
I think you've found the answer. It's a typical phishing scam. Delete and move on

I think you've found the answer. It's a typical phishing scam. Delete and move on

Because it is an Account Action Required this is not something I know of that can be deleted :(

Also, is it just a co-incidence that my PC Chrome needs action to be taken as well?

I would use a different browser and try and log in to see what happens, sounds like you might have been hacked/phished already and they are looking for other passwords you might use.

I would use a different browser and try and log in to see what happens, sounds like you might have been hacked/phished already and they are looking for other passwords you might use.

Hmmm! :(

I will do restart on the phone and see if that clears the 'action required'

On the PC if the hack/phishing is isolated to to Chrome, looks like back to using IE11. For the record none of this has come via an email, it is all (apparently) in the Chrome browser. NB I was under the impression that Chrome was robust when it comes to web based 'hacks'?

On the PC I will run my usual Malware Bytes, Super Anti Spyware etc to double check using the tools I have

Use the PC and download firefox and try and sign into google, if your old password still works then ignore the other messages as they are phishing, if it doesn't work you've been hacked.

Use the PC and download firefox and try and sign into google, if your old password still works then ignore the other messages as they are phishing, if it doesn't work you've been hacked.
Ah! so you cannot sign into Google with IE11 ?

The reason I click forgotten password is because I never remember this my Google one(s), so if I use Firefox (or IE11?) to do the check with a new password request is that AOK???

PS If I export y bookmarks from Chrome to use in IE11 of Firefox is that going to be AOK?

Last edited:
Just rebooted the phone and the action required dialogue is still there :(

Just had something similar on my Android tablet. A quick search suggests it's happened a lot in the last 48hrs and looks like a glitch with the Play store app:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/voice/VzUWmBOybgA/MtYSA4F9BQAJ

Certainly looks like a widespread "issue" and that has overlapped onto the PC Chrome Browser..........................and on the PC unlike the Android phone I do not knowingly use Google apps!

What is best to do if it is indeed not a phishing or scam situation?

any email or link that ever asks you to login is a scam and has been for years.
anything legit will ask you to go to page and also address you by your name as on your account at the very least.

anything legit will ask you to go to page and also address you by your name as on your account at the very least.
It's not an email, it's an Android OS system notification.

Yes, I am hopefully well enough versed to not be taken in by such emails (I do not even use the review pane in Outlook)..............but on the Android and in effect on the PC all this happening via the Google and Chrome 'interface'/interaction. So either to an unusual scam or a cockup in Google that has percolated into more than just Android devices!

Haven't a clue - I could remember my password..

Hello,

I had the same prompt come up on my device (Moto X 1st gen, running Android 5.1). I was also skeptical, but was not seeing any odd activity on my google account (myaccount.google.com).
I went ahead an proceeded through the prompts. I had a few failed attempts (wrong passwords) then I was able to proceed with the correct password. I did not try the forgotten password item to see what it would have done.

I have had this device for over 3 years without this prompt that I recall.

edit: I posted this before seeing the prior reply with the planned roll-out links. Thank you!

Last edited:
Last edited:
had my google signed out from 2 iphones and 1 android phone. jsut needed to sign in. use 2 step verifications ;)

interestingly, on the PC Chrome no longer shows the sign in details out of date message. looks like they fixed something???

Had Google play prompt for this overnight. Oddly wouldn't take my pass so logged in on separate pc browser and did a reset.

Already had 2 form enabled so didn't need a text code. But did get a verification text (from international number) and email.

FWIW i have yet to do anything about the continued reminder on the phone but as mentioned the Chrome 'one' did go away and at this stage can only surmise Google did something in the background that fixed the PC Chrome browser reporting "sign in details out of date".

Back