Is this a rare moth/butterfly?

Edit My Images
Yes
It was huge and it hovers like a humming bird , great colours too...

IMG_4263.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4274.jpg

IMG_4284.jpg

IMG_4287.jpg

IMG_4315.jpg

I've never seen one before, but that doesn't mean a great deal.
Great photos, last one would be my fave.

Good god man, thats not a moth, thats an aircraft carrier :eek: :D

No idea tbh, but still (y)

Not rare but a beauty, it's an elephant hawk moth nice find and photos (y)

Nice shots!

superb shots, that is massive.

i would have ran if id seen that :)

any in flight shots? i saw one in my garden last year........... wouldnt keep still enough to get a shot at it though!! I thought it was a humming bird when i first saw it in flight. Great pics.

God im jealous, ive wanted to see one of these for years, and there you go posting stonking great pics of them. Im not bitter. :bang::bang::bang:

Never seen one of those guys-very cool, nice pics= )
nice tagging, Alby(y)

Great shots! The last one is the best IMHO.

Hi, photographed hummingbird Hawk Moth in flight last september in our garden, Shropshire. Check out the couple of pictures in my gallery.
regards
Donovan
Hummingbird_Hawkwing2_Small_.JPG

Hummingbird_Hawkwing_Small_.JPG

Last edited:
Hi, photographed hummingbird Hawkwing Moth in flight last september in our garden, Shropshire. Check out the couple of pictures in my gallery.
regards
Donovan

Those are fantastic moths I had one in my garden too, Donavon... hard to believe they are not hummingirds. (they are hummingbirds hawk moths though.. not hawkwing) (y)

hope u dont mind me posting this but heres a pic i took a few years ago of the moth in its caterpillar form, chewing its way through rosebay willow herb...ive never managed to see the moth form ...well done to you ;)

ehmc.jpg

i was watching Life on bird's and there was a wee bit on this moth, they were saying that sometime people on the south coast think that have been visited by a hummingbird when infact its this moth. Great Capture.

What a beautiful moth and well captured. I haven't seen a hawk moth for many years - my mother used to buy chrysalises back in the 1970's and then hatch them out, before releasing them - Elephant Hawk and Privet Hawks I remember - in a 2 litre drinks bottle with the top cut off, half filled with damp peat! I remember holding the chrysalis as a chld, it used to wriggle and squirm in my hand!

Back