Is this a 'Rock Bunting'

SouthernSnapper

Name
Sandra
Edit My Images
Yes
Went out for a little deer shooting when I noticed these little birds 'bouncing' over the bracken. Unfortunatley it was windy, dull and they hardly stayed in the same spot for a nano second....hence the poor shot.
RockBuntingx.jpg
its also heavily cropped:thumbsdown: still. I.d would be appreciated They were a bit bigger than a sparrow.

They look like Redwing to me Sandra, member of the Thrush family and about the same size. A winter visitor from Northern Europe.

Definitely redwing. Plentiful at this time of year (winter visitors)

Thanks Martyn. Looking again I can see where I went wrong. Redwing it is then. I'll have to try for a better shot next time. Busy birds, They were in a large flock all bouncing on the ground, it was quite a curious sight.

There is a fair chance that there will be Fieldfare amongst them, another winter visitor of the Thrush family, so worth having a good look next time you see them (y)

Thanks for the replies. Not up to speed on my birds. Know the more usual garden varieties, can now add this one ..Redwing and Fieldfare now.
Peter, 5 records of Rock Bunting. That is rare. My book said rare but that doesn't say much. I guess if they we're RB's it would be a shame if this we're the 6th photo!!
Thank you for the info guys.

Back