Is this any good?

Watch it's weight limit though Stephen - only 2.5kg, so rather depends what you ight want to put on top of it!

Only problem I can see, is the 4 section legs. Nothing like as stable as 3 sections, and I doubt it would be up to your 30D with anything bigger than a standard zoom, certainly not upto a 30D and 'L' glass.

I have heard rather good reports on the small Benro carbon tripod - a carbon copy (excuse the pun) of the Gitzo 1128 explorer, and probably only £100 or so. This would suit your needs much better.

I think someone on here uses one with a 350D? (I could be mistaken though).

I did look at one earlier this week when I was on the lookout for a tripod, but decided to settle on a bigger brother instead, the 190 :)
Obviously that's probably not feasible for you for the weight....

As for a small takeabout tripod, have you thought about the Benbo Trekker? Apparently they're good, light, portable tripods, but you either love them or you hate them, due to the unique way they work.

Stephen - Do you need to take a proper tripod? - I read somewhere someone raving about the SLR version of the "Gorillapod" - Looking at their website I see there's a "SLR-Zoom" version now that even lets you use your own head with it & supports up to 6.6lbs - have a look anyway HERE - pics below for anyone who can't be @rsed :nuts: ... Paul (y)

gp3y_04.jpg

slrzg-01.jpg

That looks like a great bit of kit!! I've often wished they mad one a decent size. I'll pass though until someone else has confirmed that it'll hold 6Lb securely!!

Thanks for the link.

That looks like a great bit of kit!! I've often wished they mad one a decent size. I'll pass though until someone else has confirmed that it'll hold 6Lb securely!!

Thanks for the link.

I found one for £33 on Amazon so give me a week or two & I'll let you know :embarrassed:

Back