Is this lens a bargain?

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, is this lens a bargain:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...le?redirect=true&ref_=nosim&tag=hotukdeals-21

I am currently using a Canon 550d and I also have the 18-55 lens and the nifty fifty lens.

Would this lens make a good addition to what I have? I am using my camera for general family shots and shots of cars and products for my business. I am also going to the RAF Waddington air show this year and by the looks of it this lens might be good for that. I'm also going to be going to some car races and taking photos of some cars with my products on going round the track.

Would this lens suit my needs or is it worth waiting and saving up for a 70-300 lens?

Thanks in advance guys.

It's a good starter lens and very good value for the money. Even if you sell it second and after a few months you won't loose much and will have a much better idea of what you want if you upgrade.

Its a good lens , and the price is okay (though not exceptional) , they are having a laugh with the rrp though, these usually change hands at about 200 notes so in real terms you are saving 50 quid

alternately there are a couple used on mpb for 130 quid http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us...-fit-lenses/canon-ef-s-55-250mm-f/4-5.6-is-4/

in terms of what you want to use it for its an okay but not spectacular lens - i'd say its no worse than the 70-300 so you may as well get it in the short term if you can afford it, but in the long term you may want either something longer or something with a wider apperture - although both those options are a lot more spondoolicks

I am a great believer in that there is no such thing as a bargain!! I am sure there are exceptions but generally people will not willing sell things for x if they can get more.

So often bargains [so called] start of with a misleading premise. The only real test of a price is a like for like comparison across a wide range of very similar items.

Have a look here as much of the work has already been done for you!

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/cat5.html

It's known as the Nifty250, because like it's little brother, the Nifty50, it is good value for money. It shoots above it's price and good results can be had.
Disagree with some of the comments above, they can be had for around the 100quid mark SH, and they have been selling at 125/135 new.
Also, it is probably one of the best low budget learner tele lenses on the market. It has it's faults, it isn't perfect, but for the price, more than acceptable.
There is a Mk2 lens just come on the market, but the improvements are purely cosmetic and the body/optics are just the same, so go for the Mk1.
It is a well thought of lens on this forum, just do a search to find out more on what members thoughts are.
Go for it, I did, I still have it, use it regularly, and love it.

have a look HERE

I purchased mine new from an amazon seller (white box, no instructions) for £120 in January this year and it's excellent.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input guys, it looks like I will be buying myself a nice new lens in the very near future. (y)

Here's another like for like site...

http://www.cameraferret.com/product.php?id=156.php

Comes up with the same cheapest price as the one listed in the previous post but a few different stores listed (easier on the eye too!) might be one more local to you?

Looks new judging by the price graphs...

I am a great believer in that there is no such thing as a bargain!! I am sure there are exceptions but generally people will not willing sell things for x if they can get more.

I know what you mean and, generally, I'm also a believer in the adage that you get what you pay for.

That said, sometimes there are bargains to be had. I picked up a 24-70 last year from Wilkinsons when they were £900, which was a full £100 less than everyone else was selling them for. Full UK retail model with no catches.

It didn't make any sense - as you say, why would they sell them that cheaply when they could clearly sell them all at full price but I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth :)

Sometimes stores need to shift stock that has been around for a while to make room for new stock. They are quite happy to reduce the price and make just a few quid to make room for newer more attractive (to the consumer) products. I have even sold stuff at less than what I paid for it wholesale just to move the stock on to free up space for more saleable profitable products. So there are bargains to be had but it is pure luck as to whether you catch them or not, sounds like Vertigo is a lucky guy. Care to share your lottery numbers for next week?

Haha, if only I was that lucky all the time :)

I know what you mean about shifting old stock but, in this case, that's not what it was and that just made it even more bizarre. At the time, the Canon 24-70 was in short supply following the production problems in Japan after the tsunami. Production had restarted and supply was starting to come through but it was still limited. Given how in-demand this lens always is, anywhere that had stock could easily have shifted it for the full "going rate", yet Wilkinsons decided to knock £100 off the price. This was in July last year and the date code on the lens was June, so it was literally a month old.

It made no sense at all to me - why would you sell brand new stock at £100 under the going rate when it's a seller's market? For this reason I called them first and made very sure that there was no catch - that it was a full, boxed UK retail model and not a "white box" or grey import.

I think a fair few others on here grabbed one at the price but they weren't around for very long.

Last edited:
Haha, if only I was that lucky all the time :)

I know what you mean about shifting old stock but, in this case, that's not what it was and that just made it even more bizarre. At the time, the Canon 24-70 was in short supply following the production problems in Japan after the tsunami. Production had restarted and supply was starting to come through but it was still limited. Given how in-demand this lens always is, anywhere that had stock could easily have shifted it for the full "going rate", yet Wilkinsons decided to knock £100 off the price. This was in July last year and the date code on the lens was June, so it was literally a month old.

It made no sense at all to me - why would you sell brand new stock at £100 under the going rate when it's a seller's market? For this reason I called them first and made very sure that there was no catch - that it was a full, boxed UK retail model and not a "white box" or grey imp

I think a fair few others on here grabbed one at the price but they weren't around for very long.

The exception that proves the rule?

Given you have a 18-55 and a 50 1.8, i would say go for it, will give you that extra reach you need sometimes and i think you will be impressed with the results that can be had from such a lens.

Also if you buy new from amazon, and dont get along with it, return it :)

I'd just mention that kerso has these for 120 notes

Just noticed that flashcamera doesn't mention if it's the mk1 or mk2 version but Amazon states mk2 version.

So currently with Amazons fluctuating prices the mk2 is £134.00 delivered and flashcamera is £119.00 + £10 shipping. Is £5 worth the difference between a mk1 & mk2 ?

Oh and btw...first post, just been waiting to say something instead of browsing and learning.

*14-5-12 Amazon price has shot back up to £189.99

Last edited:
How can we tell if it's mk1 or mk2? And is there much difference? I got my lens from kerso yesterday so if you can tell me how to check I will :)

How can we tell if it's mk1 or mk2? And is there much difference? I got my lens from kerso yesterday so if you can tell me how to check I will :)

Read post #5.

Differences
Mark I :

Focus Details: AF (DC motor), with manual focus option

Magnification Ratio : 0.34x / 1:2.9

Mark II :

Focus Details: AF (Micro Motor), with manual focus option

Magnification Ratio: 0.31x / 1:3.2

The Mk II version of the original EF-S 55-250mm zoom lens still uses the DC Micro Motor (both DC and MM refer to the same motor technology). If it had the micro motor USM autofocus system, it would have the "USM" moniker and cost much more than its predecessor.

No change in the Mk II except for slightly different MTF chart curves and exterior aesthetics.

These facts are gleaned from internet searches.

Seems to be so little difference that it does not matter which you get!

Ok cool, worry over then :). Absolute bargain from kerso is all I can say.

I took some pics yesterday which I'll post up soon.

Just compared mine with the image on Canons site. The 'Inc' next to 'Canon' has gone, the ring on which the focal lengths are printed is now black instead of silver, the font used for the lens name is different, some text has been placed in different positions on the lens ("Image Stabilizer" was moved), and the registration mark (the white square used to align the lens to the mount) is now just painted on vs. being moulded and painted. These were the same cosmetic changes made to the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS when it was 'updated' to the MkII verison. So now the 2 lenses match!

Well with Amazons prices up and down like a yo-yo it's good to know you can buy at a constant low price from within the UK whether it be mk1 or mk2 whatever the differences are, perhaps I should have researched it myself to add to my previous post.

Well with Amazons prices up and down like a yo-yo it's good to know you can buy at a constant low price from within the UK whether it be mk1 or mk2 whatever the differences are, perhaps I should have researched it myself to add to my previous post.

At the moment, the trend seems to be the 55-250mm prices are on the rise. Mk1 AND Mk2.

Back