Is this lens any good?

Name
Donna
Edit My Images
Yes
Is the Sigma EX 70-200mm F2.8 APO DG HSM Zoom. Canon EOS any good? to go on my 6D
I want to 70-200 Canon f\2.8 but would have to wait longer to buy it

Hi Donna.

You can get very good copies of these lenses but there seems to be a very much 'hit and miss' scenario with them.

If at all possible, it would be wise to test one you are looking to buy on your 6D before purchase.

If a test is not possible, only buy from a trusted source where you can return if unhappy with the quality of the images produced.

Hi Donna.

You can get very good copies of these lenses but there seems to be a very much 'hit and miss' scenario with them.

If at all possible, it would be wise to test one you are looking to buy on your 6D before purchase.

If a test is not possible, only buy from a trusted source where you can return if unhappy with the quality of the images produced.
ok good plan thankyou

Hi Donna.

I agree. You will read of 3rd party lenses like Sigma being a bit less reliable with quality control. Some people dispute this and claim it's the same chances as Canon making a bad lens. But....it's not in my experience. When you get a good copy they are great lenses. :)

Is the Sigma EX 70-200mm F2.8 APO DG HSM Zoom. Canon EOS any good? to go on my 6D
I want to 70-200 Canon f\2.8 but would have to wait longer to buy it

There are several versions of the sigma 70-200. The newer OS version is the highest quality

How do i know what the newest version is?

The new version is the OS version (optical stabiliser).

The first one which was a bit hit and miss seems to be the one you've been looking at.

They updated this a few years ago with the 70-200 EX f/2.8 II macro HSM which optically was better (this is the one I have, its supurb).

Then they released the OS version of the above which is the best of the lot.

Post a link to the one you are considering buying and we'll be able to confirm

Maybe get a used Canon 70-200f2.8ISLII ?

The Sigma OS version is relatively lightweight but not nearly as reassuringly solid as the Canon. Optically the Sigma OS is very good though, or at least my copy was. In your shoes I would save up for the Canon though, it is a really high quality lens in every respect, IMVHO.

Back