Is this lens worth getting?

Edit My Images
No
Was looking on ebay a found this Sigma lens, would it be a good lens for wildlife and motorsport or would I be better off saving for longer to buy the Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED?

Darren

PS I have a D40x and am very new to photography:wave:

Similar position. Agree with what was said about the Nikon being the better lens. As I have researched (read lots!) the same. But that is a very good price... would you regret it though?

The pictures don't match the description you can see the motor drive screw. If you click on the Jessops link that also takes you to the non HSM version? I'd be careful with this one unless your happy manual focusing.

I`m on quite a tight budget but buying the Nikon Vr 70 -300 was in my humble opinion a good purchase,it is well engineered and provides great results.

Are there any lenses which are similar to the Nikon Vr 70 to 300 but with better F stops? This one has a min of 4, are there any that go as low as 2 or 3 for example?

Gary.

If there are any,they will be heavy on the camera and the wallet me thinks.

If there are any,they will be heavy on the camera and the wallet me thinks.

Yeah just searched, I think the Nikon 70-200 VR f2.8 is the one, but talking about £1K on a lens :thumbsdown:

Can't wait to get it (y)

But my missus will kill me :thumbsdown:

But still, think of the cool shots (y)

:bang: ARGH!!!!!

HELP.

the APO version of the Sigma is significantly better than the ordinary DG Macro

Is this the lens your refering too here?
Do they auto focus on a D40x?
I've seen the Nikon vr 70-300 on ebay brand new for £250, may well save a little longer for the Nikon lens :thinking:

Thanks for all the advise so far (y)

Darren

Had the Sigma originally and then upgraded to the Nikon, I would wait save your pennies and go straight for the Nikon you won't be disappointed (y)

Is this the lens your refering too here?
Do they auto focus on a D40x?
I've seen the Nikon vr 70-300 on ebay brand new for £250, may well save a little longer for the Nikon lens :thinking:

Thanks for all the advise so far (y)

Darren

I'm a Canon man so can't comment as all Canon lenses have the focus motor in the lens itself.

I got the Sigma originally but upgraded to the Nikon 70-300mm VR, I would advise going straight to the Nikon if you can afford it. The Sigma was soft from 200-300mm, would hunt loads during focusing and suffered chronic chromatic apparition.

Save for the Nikon, the VR is worth it alone.

It may be worth keeping an eye in the "for sale" section as this is a lens that people often upgrade from to a fancy f2.8, get from here and you stand a good chance that it's been treated well (eBay is more of a risk IMO). Infact I'm pretty sure LeeP has or had one for sale recently. Alternatively look at NortherNikon's ad he has an 80-200 f2.8 selling for £350 IIRC which is a cracking lens (much better than the 70-300) and at about the same price as the the 70-300 is new.

Check in the for sale section - I have a 70 - 300 VR for sale in new condition for less than your ebay price (y)

I, back in my hay day, had the Sigma version which was HORRID compared to this :)

Thanks for all the replies.

Having read them all I decides to go for the Nikon 70-300 vr lens and brought a second hand one from kevshore :D
Really looking forward to trying it out when it arrives :woot:

Darren

Thanks for all the replies.

Having read them all I decides to go for the Nikon 70-300 vr lens and brought a second hand one from kevshore :D
Really looking forward to trying it out when it arrives :woot:

Darren

Welcome to the VR club (y) Have fun when it arrives.

The only one out of the above mentioned worth going for (IMO) is the 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR. But then again I already have it lol.

I used to have a Sigma 70-300 APO DG. The focus speed was slow and did hunt around sometimes. But the picture quality wasn't bad for something that costs circa £150! The main downsides for that lens is the focus speed and F stop.

With the VR version, the main downside is the F stop hence why it isn't as expensive as the 70-200, etc.

But ouf the ones you're looking at then the 70-300 AF-S VR is the best one. Another option is the 18-200 AF-S VR. Same F stops but you woulnd't have to swap lenses all the time for focal distances, unless going above 200mm.

PS Just read that you have bought a lens lol. Have fun! :)

Thanks for all the replies, my 70-300 vr is now here :D
Now desperate for a nice sunny day so I can try and get a shot of our resident heron to try it out :LOL:

CamPic.jpg

Darren

Back