Is this one better? Chalk-hill Blue

Edit My Images
No
OK, posted a pic of a Gatekeeper earlier. Are these any better? It is a Chalk-hill Blue. They are the most gorgeous shade of blue with lovely underwing markings.
Comments welcome.

Chalk-hillBlueLulworthCove.jpg
Chalk-hillBlueLulworthCove2sml.jpg

I think they are better, colours seem better, would still maybe benefit from a crop, and i find the stem right up the shot a bit distracting, but well done on getting the shots, never really managed any butterful shots myself.

Much better!

Now you just need to work on your composition. Don't plonk the subject in the middle of the shot. Look at which way it is facing and give it space to look into.

You don't have the box ticked in your profile to allow editing - but I've assumed you meant to
Chalk-hillBlueLulworthCove.jpg
and
Chalk-hillBlueLulworthCove2sml.jpg

All I've done is crop them differently and sharpen a bit because I resized. Say the word and I will delete them if you prefer.

Rules are made to be broken sometimes but this one is a sound start - Rule of thirds

OK, thanks for the crit, it is very much appreciated. I would prefer my photos not edited but since I havent specified that yet, leave these up.
I am aware of the rule of thirds, but thanks for the link. The problem I have is with something that moves off very quickly i use the centre auto-focus point to avoid auto-focusing on something other than the subject, so it can be difficult to place it other than in the centre. Also I think wildlife shots are an exception to the rule (just my personal opinion). For instance a lion stalking towards the camera would look odd if off-centre.
Having said this I do like the second edit. I'll have to look into it.
This is not meant as a jibe, but sometimes I think people get a little over-obsessed with not putting something in the centre of the frame and can miss some great shots because of it.
Just like I think my tutors at uni look for a reason for certain photos when maybe they were just taken for aesthetic value.
Thanks for the comments, taken on board, and I am hopefully going to get out in pursuit of butterflies at the weekend so I will experiment.
Thanks again. :)

Back