is this passport still usable

I give up

My friend was born in Swaziland and he did get a passport from the country of his birth.
Detained for quite a while at JFK immigration when he visited the US.
Blonde haired white man didn't fit their idea of a person from that country

I give up
Which bit do you not understand or not agree with?
1. Your driving licence says which country you were born in.
2. Being born in a particular country does not necessarily mean you are a citizen of that country.
3. It is citizenship, not birthplace, which is relevant for national ID documents like passports.
If you could elaborate on which of these you're having trouble with, I'm sure we could help.

My friend was born in Swaziland and he did get a passport from the country of his birth.
Detained for quite a while at JFK immigration when he visited the US.
Blonde haired white man didn't fit their idea of a person from that country
Interesting story. Also interesting is that he wouldn't have been a citizen of Swaziland (which changed its name to Eswatini last year, apparently) by virtue of having been born there [1]. Some countries work like that, but Swaziland doesn't. His parents would have both had to be citizens, which means that either their parents (your friend's grandparents) were all citizens, or they acquired citizenship through residence.

[1] https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/resources/the-world-factbook/geos/wz.html#field-anchor-government-citizenship

Last edited:
Wrote a long reply, but decided you are not worth it, odious person that you are
Yes his parents obviously were citizens because he got the passport

Wrote a long reply, but decided you are not worth it, odious person that you are
Yes his parents obviously were citizens because he got the passport
Actually that's not true. In many countries, you can be a citizen even if one or both of your parents isn't.
  • In some countries, being born there makes you a citizen regardless of your parents' nationalities. (The USA is like this, and so are most other countries in the Americas.)
  • In some countries, being born there makes you a citizen if at least one of parents is a citizen. (The UK is like this, and so are most other countries in Europe.)
  • In some countries, being born there doesn't make you a citizen unless both of your parents are citizens. (Swaziland/Eswatini is like this, but it's relatively rare.)
I just thought you might be interested. It's fine if you're not, but I'm afraid I really don't see the need to throw insults.

Back