Is this the most hopeless UK autumn over many many years?

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
Maybe I got used to the Alpine colours, but honestly I don't remember it being so colour-less at all. It is late October and everything is either still green or already brown or bare... No yellows, let alone reds to be seen at all if you ignore some speed cameras and billboards. I think I got far more done even last October with the lockdowns in place till they properly killed when it was just getting really good. So far this year - total waste of time and diesel. I remember spring was really late and quite rubbish too. Perhaps that's something to do with it?

Maybe I got used to the Alpine colours, but honestly I don't remember it being so colour-less at all. It is late October and everything is either still green or already brown or bare... No yellows, let alone reds to be seen at all if you ignore some speed cameras and billboards. I think I got far more done even last October with the lockdowns in place till they properly killed when it was just getting really good. So far this year - total waste of time and diesel. I remember spring was really late and quite rubbish too. Perhaps that's something to do with it?
Don't worry, it's coming... trouble is, you'll probably have about 2 days to capture it all before the leaves shrivel and drop off... and none of those might be sunny or bright, which is what's often needed to capture the spectacle at its best (unless going for muted colours in mist or diffused lighting).

To be honest, in today's control-freak ridden world, I increasingly like the unpredictability of the natural elements, as they dare to tiddle all over the aspirations of entitled individuals who seek to indulge in the cardinal sin of expectation. ;)

Last edited:
IMG_7230.JPG

I was out with the camera this morning, looking for some nice colours. Spotted this tree, a nice red. Just a quick snap.

it has not set in properly where i live, there is nowhere bare yet since it has not been cold enough

It's still been too mild here for the leaves to change. Although the temperature has dropped a bit today (and yesterday).

A pair of pigeons and a pair of magpies were 'at it' on my dog walk this morning - maybe they know something we don't? ;)

We're in Edinburgh and there are a lot of trees in our area. I've also noticed that autumn seems a bit 'late' this year, but some of the leaves are starting to change and I daresay it'll arrive soon enough, followed by winter!

Southern half of England it's early yet it is usually more early November for peak.
Getting there fast here North Yorks and a reasonably settled or at least un-stormy week or so expected which is important so they don't just shrivel up and blow away.
They generally colour more if it has been dry late summer that applies here now.
Though it's getting muddy the last three months have been about half normal rain.

My memories of Edinburgh suggest a longer wet season than down here in Essex, I think that implies a 11.9 month wet season.

You're not far off with that estimate! January - early March can be bitterly cold too, and Edinburgh has icy winds that have the knack of changing direction so that you're always walking against them. :)

I was so glad to see this post this evening, iam in south derbyshire and everything is still green. My wife said it was a late autumn and I dismissed what she was saying with pinch of salt. I have eaten humble pie and look forward to the 2 days to capture everything. Every day seems to have a breeze which is killing my woodland outings in low light. but anyway roll on November.

Living down here in the southeast corner of UK, early-mid November was very good last year. I have noticed that the silver birches have dropped most of their leaves so that's been disappointing as its my favorite tree.

Colours have finally started to turn here, but sadly with a distinct mix of browns and some leaves are just falling out already. I did a brecon waterfall trek on Sunday evening. I got a couple that I would call 'OK' shots but really no spectacular colours. The favourite waterfall looked rather miserable and not just because of a fallen tree. I can't see any point coming back this year.

This week looks like a write off due to all the rain, so there is really mainly the next week then if that is better. I might go to the Lakes for maybe a day... or two and then Snowdonia for another day. Perhaps Symmonds Yat sunrise and that is probably it this year :(

The trees outside our house (not sure what they are) took a sudden turn this week and we had a huge dump of nice crispy brown leaves. As is tradition in our house, we went out to clear them up...
Looks like beech leaves there. Whilst walking the dog this morning a noticed one large beech tree that had suddenly turned copper and brown, maybe this is the week??

Everything seems to have been later this year, so I'm still going to live in hope, for a couple of weeks yet.

I my area in Cornwall the leaves have stayed green on the trees for some time beyond the normal but I think the main reason for no browns is high winds. As soon as the leaves start to turn they are blown off. The areas under the trees have plenty of fallen leaves while the trees remain green but sparse.

Managed to get out and grab a few images yesterday afternoon after the morning rain down here in Ashdown Forest. This lone oak tree not showing its full colour yet, but the light was nice. Unfortunately, this morning's storms really looked to have stripped the leaves that had just started turning.

51644153248_cf61e812ff_b.jpg

Last edited:
I imagine the winds this weekend will have put paid to a lot of colour in the trees, my garden is covered in yellow leaves from the trees that are over 100 yards away.

Autumn? I'm still looking for summer! Cannot recall a year with so many overcast days and nights. :(

With a name like Norseman do you live North of the Arctic circle, that might explain things :):)

UK is capable of better. A few years ago.
Clifton Suspension Bridge in the Morning by Daugirdas Tomas Racys, on Flickr

I can't easily link from website but feel free to wonder around for better and more recent samples.

Then go to Italian Alps or Chamonix... It totally blows it out of the water. And in fact in many cases I had to seriously turn down the saturation from original flat profile.

Back