Is this the most hopeless UK autumn over many many years?

Maybe I got used to the Alpine colours, but honestly I don't remember it being so colour-less at all. It is late October and everything is either still green or already brown or bare... No yellows, let alone reds to be seen at all if you ignore some speed cameras and billboards. I think I got far more done even last October with the lockdowns in place till they properly killed when it was just getting really good. So far this year - total waste of time and diesel. I remember spring was really late and quite rubbish too. Perhaps that's something to do with it?
Perhaps we are drifting to a two-season climate due to the heating up — not everywhere has 4 seasons ;).

Perhaps we are drifting to a two-season climate due to the heating up — not everywhere has 4 seasons ;).
Well it is but we are supposed to have 2 short but obvious transition periods. 2-3 weeks each

On a more positive note the flooding is on the way. Finally some reflection images closer to home

Things are really good around North Yorks but the wind has stripped more exposed area.
Lots of very good colour around Pickering and Malton Ryedale this morning and bits of mist floating about.
The thing to remember it is a very fleeting peak especially in this country we usually have too much wind for a really good build up of widespread colour so it's more individual trees and if you see a good one they could have gone two days later.

Attachments

• mpv-shot0004.jpg
    mpv-shot0004.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 6
On Thursday, a couple of trees on the golf course were starting to change colour. Today, there's a carpet of dropped leaves under them.

I made a trip to Elan Valley today. The location is actually perfect now and should be for about a week. The oaks have withstood the winds and are getting colourful. Everything else on the way looked really well November like. Bare trees, no autumn colour.

Seems to be kicking off around here now. The first good frost probably helped.

Here in Lancs the trees haven't given us their usual golden displays at all this year, it's all been very disappointing. I went out last week to try and capture some autumnal scenes and ended up shooting bits of fungus instead :)

Very mixed here in south Cumbria, a few trees are quite colourful, some have lost most of their leaves and some still mainly green which does not create a good overall autumn colours scene.

Very mixed here in south Cumbria, a few trees are quite colourful, some have lost most of their leaves and some still mainly green which does not create a good overall autumn colours scene.
Does it still look half-decent around Buttermere?

It's taken it's time, but we have a spectacular autumn display in my part of the world. In fact I don't think I've known anything quite like it. It's difficult to know where to point the camera.

Reactions: 4wd
I saw some really fantastic golden leaves on the way back from town on Thursday (when the only camera I had with me was ~100 years old & didn't have a film). I headed out again almost immediately but the sun had gone in so the trees didn't look anywhere near as good. Hopefully I'll catch them in the sun tomorrow.

Mind you shooting IR I can readily get red foliage with my Sd14 or golden browns with a converted bayer camera during the summer:
garage aerochrome small by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

St Mary's entrance by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Down in the southeast this weekend is looking great. Feels like it's as good as it's going to get in a few forests I've visited this weekend.

Here is West Yorkshire there are plenty of tress in glorious colour but still far too many dressed in green - or completely naked already

It's pretty spectacular here in the south west now. No real rain for weeks so we have some of the biggest beds of crunchy brown/yellow/red leaves everywhere that I can remember for years.

It's taken it's time, but we have a spectacular autumn display in my part of the world. In fact I don't think I've known anything quite like it. It's difficult to know where to point the camera.
At the colour Nev :D

Here is a bit of autumn colour from a recent visit to Hardcastle Craggs. It was rather gloomy but it helped to make the colours more saturated.

Attachments

• _DSC7398_Export.jpg
    _DSC7398_Export.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 2
  • _DSC7240_Export.jpg
    _DSC7240_Export.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 2
  • _DSC7243_Export.jpg
    _DSC7243_Export.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 2
  • _DSC7247_Export.jpg
    _DSC7247_Export.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 2
  • _DSC7251_Export.jpg
    _DSC7251_Export.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 2
  • _DSC7258_Export.jpg
    _DSC7258_Export.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 2
  • _DSC7269_Export.jpg
    _DSC7269_Export.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 2
  • _DSC7337_Export.jpg
    _DSC7337_Export.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 2
  • _DSC7347_Export.jpg
    _DSC7347_Export.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 2
  • _DSC7348_Export.jpg
    _DSC7348_Export.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 2
  • _DSC7363_Export.jpg
    _DSC7363_Export.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 2
  • _DSC7368_Export.jpg
    _DSC7368_Export.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 2
  • _DSC7372_Export.jpg
    _DSC7372_Export.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 2
  • _DSC7382_Export.jpg
    _DSC7382_Export.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 2
  • _DSC7389_Export.jpg
    _DSC7389_Export.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 2
I managed to get out a couple of weekends ago to the waterfalls in the Brecon Beacons. A lot of the larger trees had already lost their leaves leaving lots of white gaps in the canopy. I managed to get these which I'm quite happy with

Sgwd Einion Gam by Elliott Coleman, on Flickr

Foam Circles by Elliott Coleman, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm still very much a novice at this photography thing. I often walk my dogs in woods, and like what I see, but taking a photo usually just ends up with dull browns and greens. I'll go out take a few, go home interested to see what I've got and end up disappointed. That happened last week, but I've gone back through them and pulled out a couple.

Bin Hill 4959 by James West, on Flickr

Bin Hill 4952 by James West, on Flickr

Back