Is this too close for a 500mm?

Name
James A Ferrari
Edit My Images
Yes
Just Checking, but, do you think this is too close?
Seems to be in focus.

1623202378521.jpeg

Thats far from being in focus on my screen fella :) perhaps you could indicate what area you consider as in focus?

Is that a 500mm Prime lens- the quality ot that image would suggest otherwise??

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Loading images straight onto the forum from your pc often degrades them a little.
The preferred method is to load it to your Flickr account and then copy in the URL.
A bit of a pain, but that is the way it is.

Seeing as you asked, personally I would prefer sharper focus and a bit more depth of field. Also a slightly wider crop.

May I ask again- is that taken with a 500mm prime - or most likely a 150-500mm zomm lens ?

Les :)

Points well taken: Focus on eyes, but cropped out. (Using Windows 10, Microsoft Photo)
Canon 500mm F4 IS USM Version One, mounted to a Canon 60D,
Hand Held
Prime Lens
F4
500X1.6 = 800mm
Distance 20 feet.
ISO 500
1/500th
Ownership of lens 1 Week.
Still learning, cropped tight (Praying hands)
I am easily impressed, but will keep the F stop in consideration in the future.
Will try 1/1000th, F8, Auto ISO
Usually shoot birds (Actual hobby is Birding, the camera is just a tool for Identification)
Exploring other types of photography and expanding my kit.
Thank you for the comments, I will learn from them.

Last edited:
Depth of field with a long prime is very narrow. And with the squirrel being very close most of the paws would fall either way of the zone of focus. What is minimum focus distance of an EF 500f4? I know the Nikkors don't focus close.

Depth of field with a long prime is very narrow. And with the squirrel being very close most of the paws would fall either way of the zone of focus. What is minimum focus distance of an EF 500f4? I know the Nikkors don't focus close.
Similar to a Nikon 500mm f4 at about 4.5m. The OPs photo is likely a huge crop otherwise the 500mm f4 has a impressive macro range.

Back