Is This too Heavy A Combo For a "Girl!"

Name
Vicky
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, not so much a girl as I am in my 30s,

I have been thinking about changing from my current 5DMKII and 70-200 f4 (Mainly for Portraits and some Equestrian),

I have been offered a nice Canon 1DMKIV and 70-200 L 2.8 II, I am just worried the weight difference in day to day use is going to be a problem,

I like the idea of the upgrade to the 1D and the 2.8 Lens, but just worried its going to tell on the "Bingo Wings"! :p

Am I being paronoid and is the weight something you get used to.

Last edited:
You can't escape the weight for sure, it really depend what you shoot.

If you spend the time carrying the thing and less shooting then you will hate it, but if you constantly shooting with it then is all good.

If it's too heavy on day 1 of use your body will adapt to the weight and the bingo wings will be a thing of the past.

I am thinking about days out doing Equestrian,

After a few hours with the 5DII and 70-200 f4 it can start to be a bit of a lump, and imagine the 1D Combo would be worse, although good point that the body will get used to it

Suppose I can pack my weights kit away and just use the 1D.

Will have to see if the deal comes together, have a feeling I will give it a go.

EDIT Re Monopod/Tripod, they are a bit restricting for Equestrian, although a monopod would be useful I suppose for general shots.

Last edited:
I had that combo and I can't say I would it too heavy. Yeah you notice it but it's not so heavy. The results are well worth it for sure.

I would advice getting an OpTech or similar strap. It makes carrying it around you neck/shoulder MUCH more comfortable. Well well worth twenty quid or whatever they are now.

Thanks for the link, and advice, I am going to see if I can borrow it for the weekend and try, nothing like using for a day rather than just a couple fo minutes.

With luck that will make my mind up once and for all, I am hoping the move from FF 5DII down to the Crop 1DIV does not impack image quality too much, so having it for a real world test for a day or so seems to be the best solution

Hi Vicky,

My girlfriend uses a 1D mkii N with a 24-105 F4L and 70-200 F4L for days point to pointing without a problem at all!
She has the black rapid 'girls' strap which she thinks is great, plus a mono-pod which we both find very hand to have (with a decent head and QR plate of course)

Get yourself one of the new Black Rapid straps which are specifically designed for women. I got one for the OH recently and she loves it. She carried the 7D c/w battery grip and 70-200F2.8II all day earlier this week on a 'ranger led outing' and she never noticed it was there. Well ok, she did, but it wasn't an issue.

Oh, and the 'womens design' thing is absolutely correct and not just a sales ploy. If you have anything more than sparrows kneecaps (you know what I mean!) then the womens strap really makes a difference. I'm considering getting one just to accommodate my own moobs!!! ;)

Oh, and the 'womens design' thing is absolutely correct and not just a sales ploy. If you have anything more than sparrows kneecaps (you know what I mean!) then the womens strap really makes a difference. I'm considering getting one just to accommodate my own moobs!!! ;)

Totally agree, unfortunately also with the last statement.... :eek:

If youre saying the 5d and f4 are a lump after a day the 1d and 2.8 are gonna be killer. Try it first.

Cheers All,

Just had a look at the Black Rapid Strap, that looks ideal,

Have agreed with the seller that I can borrow it this weekend to try (Luckily Seller is a friend of the family), so have the whole weekend to see if its going to be OK for me

I really appreciate all the ideas and suggestions put forward its helped a lot

Many Thanks..

I quite often carry my gripped 5D3 and 70-200 2.8 MkII around all day with no serious problems and I'm a 46 year old male with a duff back. The gripped 5D3 is 1,375g while the 1D4 is 1,180G + 90g for the battery so the 5D3 is a bit heavier. There's one thing, at least you'll save some money on a gym membership and the bingo wings will change to Popeye arms lol.

I have a BR strap and it's good
there are Q straps on here which are cheaper
as for the weight. I have countless friends who would advocate motivational type conditioning regimes and not to sacrifice or compromise :p
also monopod as others have mentioned! :)

or a tartan shopping trolley...your choice :p

Just thought I would come back and update on the situation,

Had the 1D4 and 70-200 2.8 for the weekend, yes weight was a shock at first, but the ergonmics made it easy to use, and with the RapidStrap as recommended in the thread the whole system became a pleasure to use,

So Camera Bag heavier, Wallet A LOT Lighter.

Thanks all for the helpful comments.

Last edited:
Back